1.    #1  
    I noticed that after installing Today plug-ins the Today screen takes some time to refresh. Usually takes a minute or two. To make things worst, the slightest change in settings (e.g. plug-in order, settings of the plug-in itself) will require this refresh.

Is there any registry hack to quicken this refresh rate?
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    There's really no hacks to speed up a Today screen refesh. However, that being said I have only seen the Today screen as slow as you say after you change the setting for the Today screen. Otherwise, there shouldn't be the type of delay you are speaking of.

I have 4 plugins on my Today Screen: 1) Pocket Plus, 2) Contact and pocket breeze, 3) BatteryStatus, 4) Date/Time. My KJAM processor is 200mhz and I don't even have the slowness you speak of. Like I said, the only time I experience slowness is if I go into the Today control panel and change something, otherwise (even on the KJAM), the today screen is quick.

There are, however, a couple of things you can do to improve performance of your device altogether and for the Today screen. For the Today screen, make sure that all the checked (selected) items are in order first from top to bottom.

Second, for overall performance, there are several registry hacks that make WM5 operate a bit faster. I recommend Tweaks2k.net to apply these hacks.

Tweaks 2k2: This app allows for people to make registry changes without the danger of editing the registry. Even if you are adept at registry editing, Tweaks 2k makes changing and undoing reg hacks easy. www.Tweaks2k.com

If you have Tweaks, I recommend the following:

1. System Tricks->Collection 1-> Uncheck start menu animation (makes start menu a bit faster)

2. System Tricks ->Collection 5-> Check File Based Registry (File reg allow reg changes to keep if a soft reset is applied).

3. System Tricks->Collection 5-> Check WM5 Optimum Cache Size (Uses some free ram to apply to WM5 cache to speed up devices).

4. Internet Tricks->Networking-> Check MAX TCP window size (better network performance)

5. Video->Check Speed Up Display-> Uses small amount of RAM to increase graphics performance.

HTH!
    Last edited by JGold; 10/28/2006 at 06:20 AM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    Hi JGold, once again thanks for your insights.

Just wondering, how much PIM data do you sync to your WM device? I have my Calendar set to all (3+ yrs of appts) and I've seen my PIM.vol file balloon up to a whopping 30MB!!

I'm wondering if this is a cause of my Today slowdowns since I use Spb's Diary Today plug-in.

Is this generally the case -- that WM devices generally don't handle large PIM databases well? On my Treo 650 I am able to keep the full 3+ yrs of appts as well as over 3000 memos (I've given up syncing that amt to the 750v as it just took too long).
    i have 8 years of appointments and 5000 contacts. It did take a whiel to sync but strsangely was quicker wirelessy on the server than activesync. It did take up a lot of memeory, but not 30mb.
  5. Wiz
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Personally I kind of wonder why one would want to keep 8 years of appointments on a PDA.

For well over two years now, as EMEA Service Delivery Manager, I have been responsible for the complete EMEA infrastructure of our 2nd largest Global Account, and I therefore rely heavily on my PDA for everything from PIM to Project Management. (I average on 8 entries a day in my calendar + a containable number of individually prioritized tasks)

I have set my synchronization to cover my active calendar from 2 months back until 1 year into the future and find that largely sufficient. (I am actually even considering to further reduce the 1 year into the future back to 6 months into the future). The rest is safely tucked away in my mail archive on my desktop and backed up on a daily basis. This keeps my device and my PIM in particular snappy and swift.

(Very nice to read: 10 Tips for Better Time Management with your PPC
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...+organize+life)
    ---------------------------
    The one and only Treo 750v
    ---------------------------
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    i have 8 years of appointments and 5000 contacts. It did take a whiel to sync but strsangely was quicker wirelessy on the server than activesync. It did take up a lot of memeory, but not 30mb.
    ekerbuddy, as a heavy PIM user, how do you find the inbuilt "Find" function? I find it too slow for my liking; it's a lot like windows desktop search.

What kind of solution do you employ here when u need to find a particular record fast?