Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Just a few thoughts....
    this long time Palm guy really enjoyed getting off the Tytn and running the 750 for a few weeks exclusively.
    right off the bat walking down the street and hammering out a few one handed texts was so nice again.
    But I will say there is no way the cost of this device will be justified until it hsdpa-ready.
    I got on the bus with some on line work to do (on my treo)...got a little frustrated with the online lags.....then,for the first time in 2 weeks I pulled out my Tytn, poped in the sims and BOOM... it was like night and day.
    With everything on the bigger screen (which now seemed huge), data was FLYING.....going from one site to another, form to form etc....
    It was obvious which device I'd choose if I had to.(I'm keeping both).
    I await using treo's on 3 (and 4)G networks.
    Yeah but you probably had to soft reset at least 5 times, get out the awful telscopic half size stylus and then slide out that ****ty keyboard, i had the tytn and the treo 750 is way superior in every way except HSDPA and that is coming

Chris
    Why would you need to reset the TyTN 5 times?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    yeah...resets?
    both are W5 so don't see how one either can be uniformally better than the other.
    One is pda oriented one is phone oriented.
    I needed pda functionality..no contest.
    And after years of sluggish-as-hell treos I suppose that's spilling over to this 750 which with its present connectivity on cingular can be exactly that.
    IF you are UTMS connected WITH full bars (about half the time in Chicago)....you get OK performance
    (almost as strong as my 700p).
    So for NOW its a step back from the 700p for me...... but we'll see in a few months.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Btw..Htc will have a Tytn spec device out next year with the Dash form factor...3G, thin, with large screen and scroll wheel..... keep the silly telescopic stylus for all I care!
    I thought I would never say this, as I have had Treos since the beggining and Palms since the first Palm Pilot...but I just got the Tytn and I am not looking back. This is far superior to ANY Treo....sure I miss one handing typing, but the speed difference makes you forget about that quickly.

Resets.....sorry, but I rarely have a reset...far less than my hourly 650 resets. And I surf as fast as my notebook.

Its pretty pathetic when you get excited because you can talk to someone on the phone while downloading your email....but then again, I am used to my Treo 650. Shame on Palm for dropping the ball....goodbye Palm.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
    I thought I would never say this, as I have had Treos since the beggining and Palms since the first Palm Pilot...but I just got the Tytn and I am not looking back. This is far superior to ANY Treo....sure I miss one handing typing, but the speed difference makes you forget about that quickly.

Resets.....sorry, but I rarely have a reset...far less than my hourly 650 resets. And I surf as fast as my notebook.

Its pretty pathetic when you get excited because you can talk to someone on the phone while downloading your email....but then again, I am used to my Treo 650. Shame on Palm for dropping the ball....goodbye Palm.
    I am a KJAM owner for over a year and I am most likely moving toward a Treo. Here's the plain truth - the Tytn, Wizard, Apache are great PDA devices that have phone functionality. They focus on being a PDA first and phone second. Treo's are the opposite. From the form factor, to the front-facing keyboard, and with the windows versions, the customizations to WM make the Treo a phone first with PDA capabilities. There is a difference.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I agree that the Treo is first a phone w/ a pda.
    And yet nobody is raving about it's reception.
    Some Reviews complained about the reception compared to other phones. Others who didn't complain, still couldn't say it was great. Even ones here at TC haven't said plain and simple, the reception is Great!
    I just figured if Palm was going to build a $700. device, that they would have put a Top Reception Performing Radio.

So someone will come along and say that theirs is good.
    But this new Treo should have been without question, better than the majority.
    Just call me Berd.
    reception is amazing....best ever. seriously.
    I will say the reception and quality of the voice seems good to excellent. It's really impossible to pass complete judgement without another phone on the carrier at the same time. But the voice quality is better than a Treo 650 and seems better than a 700p on Verizon. I had a Nokia E61 a couple of months ago and I think it's better. But I don't have it now to directly compare against. I actually didn't think the reception of the E61 was that great (as in pulling in a signal) but the voice quality was good. I think the 750v is at least good if not excellent in both. Certainly voice quality when on UMTS is very good, GSM good but you can hear a difference. I haven't been without a GSM signal yet, UMTS is much more patchy, but very strong in some areas.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I honestly prefer the Treo over the TyTN. My Brother in Law has one and the speeds are the same when we are in the same location. But the Treo is easier to work with because of the keyboard. I thought about the slider types but they are just not for me. So I will stay woth the Treo.

BTW we don't have HSDPA here so that is probably why the TyTn and the Treo get the same speeds.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I've had a busy and expensive month:

Started with my trusty 2-year old Treo 600
    Ordered a Vodafone Treo 750V, cancelled it
    Bought a TyTN, didn't find it friendly/usable
    Bought a Nokia E61 - loving it!

I would like to have got my hands on a Treo 750v for a while, but I know the lack of WiFi and the extortionate Vodafone price plan would have been a mistake.
    I just hope than when Palm has the upgrade to HSDPA, that it's not buggy and performs as well as it should.
    Thanks guys, for the Reception comments. I so much want the best phone, with pda features.
    Hopefully soon, I will be able to see for myself.
    My skepticism comes from my 650 experience, and some of the first reviews we heard.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Ditto on the voice reception...best of all treos.. better than the tytn.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    Ditto on the voice reception...best of all treos.. better than the tytn.
    Have you ever used a Tytn? How could it be better? My reception is amazing....literally 10x better than my 650.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    RF can be WAY better than a TyTN. I am waiting on my third replacement due to alignment issues and have an e62 to hold me over while I wait. Although the e62 is a dog, it does pull in one hell of a RF signal.... *smokes* the TyTN; therefore, it is possible that the 750 can reign terror on the TyTN's RF. That being said... the TyTN does not slouch in the RF department, but there is room for improvement.
    I can't compare directly since I don't have a TyTN anymore. I had one a couple of months ago, and from memory I would say the 750 RF is better than the TyTN. Especially when on UMTS, the reception and voice quality is very good to excellent. But only a direct comparison is really valid.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    yes I own both and it just might be my unit but the sound volume is just weaker on my tytn than my 750.
    I haven't get the Treo 750v yet, and I am planning to get it very soon. I use the Tytn now, and I think the 3G reception on the Tytn (Dopod 838pro) is not very good. I had to set the Tytn to GSM only reception, otherwise it often get no signal. As I also use the Universal (Dopod 900), the 3G signal reception is much much better than the Tytn.

A.W
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast