1.    #1  
    **Sorry - the title should say, "Tethering coming for the Treo 700W"**

Just got off of the phone earlier today with Verizon Tech support. I asked the guy if there were any plans to support tethering with the Treo 700W. He said he remembered hearing something like that and looked through his company announcements while he was helping me with a separate issue...

He found what he was looking for and confirmed that Verizon is planning on supporting tethering with the Treo 700W with the next firmware release. He said that this release should be coming in the near future...

Don't know if this is old news for people or if it is new... I remember my Verizon contact at work told me a few weeks ago that Verizon is planning on supporting Tethering in December for many of its devices not currently supported...
    Last edited by briguy73; 10/27/2006 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Wrong title
    cool. i dont really care about Tethering i just want the firmware update
    Already got FREE tethering with PDANet. But I guess this is exciting if you want to pay Verizon's ungodly data charges to tether.

Did he say anything else regarding the firmware update and what it would cover?
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Believe it when I see it
  5.    #5  
    He didn't have any further information regarding the firmware release that is in the works. I would hope that this release would include threaded text messages and some memory fixes... I agree with Littlepat - not holding my breath until I actually see the release...

As far as tethering goes, I would use PDANet, but my phone is the property of my employer and they won't pay for a software program that hasn't been tested by our Architecture Standards Committee... Now, if Verizon releases the ability to tether, coupled with the use of VZAccess Manager, I could use it, as this is already in use on many of our companies laptops for use with aircards... Also, I have the unlimited data package (why wouldn't you with a smartphone??)... Another $15/month for their tethering fees is a small price for a company to pay compared to that of an aircard with unlimited data, which used to be $75/month the last time I checked (a couple of years ago)... I'm sure its lower now, but not down to $15!!!
    I hear ya if you're company is paying than no problemo. Still $15 a month adds up compared to $30 once.

Btw...the VZW broadband access is down to $60 per month if you have a voice plan.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Quote Originally Posted by briguy73 View Post
    **Sorry - the title should say, "Tethering coming for the Treo 700W"*
    You should be sorry....bad title...
    Actually, to lend some credence to the notion of an upcoming 700w ROM upgrade this is from a post on pdahonehome last week:

Quote Originally Posted by sbarne3
    My boss spoke with Verizon yesterday complaining about the daylight savings time issue and they told him that Verizon had a beta version of the 1.2 firmware for the 700w that they were testing, but they had no other information about it. Can anyone confirm or deny this? or does anyone have an estimated release date? or does anyone have information about what might be fixed and/or included in this update? Since this is all hearsay at this point even unsubstantiated rumors would be fine ...lo

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Nothing new on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Already got FREE tethering with PDANet. But I guess this is exciting if you want to pay Verizon's ungodly data charges to tether.

Did he say anything else regarding the firmware update and what it would cover?
    Free? It's $34 on their site...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith P View Post
    Free? It's $34 on their site...
    Well by "FREE" i mean no monthly fees. If you use Sprint or (possibly) Verizon tethering you will have to pay extra on top of your unlimited data plan for the privilege.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"