1.    #1  
    When I send an e-mail message to someone, it seems like it takes forever for that e-mail to leave my outbox. I'm using Comcast e-mail, and my phone is set up to connect every 6 minutes. At first, I thought it was the size of the e-mail, and then I thought it was e-mails with attachments. But it's all types of e-mails. Sometimes they are sent quickly. Other times, it takes forever for them to leave my outbox. I sent an e-mail at 11:01 EST. It is now 12:00EST, and the message is still in my outbox. Is there something I'm missing? Is there something not set up right? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
    I notice this problem from time to time and for me, I think it has to do with if I'm getting a good signal or not.

I don't know if this is a design bug or feature (I'm going to think positive and go with feature) in that if you're in a fringe area, it may not attempt to send the message until you have a stronger signal.

Also, since I've implemented the speed hack (changing the server DNS numbers), the instances of this happening has probably dropped by 90 %.

I also have my Treo set to send/receive every 9 minutes.
  3.    #3  
    How did you change the DNS numbers?
    To change the DNS number, follow these steps...

1) Open your START menu and choose the Settings menu choice.

2) On the Settings page, click on the 'Connections' tab found at the bottom of the screen and then click the 'Connections' icon that is on the next screen that opens.

3) You'll now be on the Connects screen. Click the link that reads "Manage existing connections".

4) A new screen will open which is typically named "My ISP". You should see your service providers name it the connections list in the middle of the page. Make sure the bullet point is checked and then click on the "Edit..." button below it.

5) A new screen opens...click the 'Next' soft key choice for the next TWO screens (make no changes on these 2 screens). Third screen that you come to with have your user name and password on it and an "Advanced..." button.

6) Click the "Advanced..." button and then click the 'Server' tab that appears at the bottom of the next screen.

7) On the advanced screen, click the "Use specific server address" bullet point and enter the following DNS number....

DNS: 4.2.2.1
    Alt DNS: 4.2.2.2

This server will typically establish a connection much faster than the default setting from your service provider.

They can't hurt anything.

Good luck.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman View Post

2) On the Settings page, click on the 'Connections' tab found at the bottom of the screen and then click the 'Connections' icon that is on the next screen that opens.

3) You'll now be on the Connects screen. Click the link that reads "Manage existing connections".

4) A new screen will open which is typically named "My ISP". You should see your service providers name it the connections list in the middle of the page. Make sure the bullet point is checked and then click on the "Edit..." button below it.

5) A new screen opens...click the 'Next' soft key choice for the next TWO screens (make no changes on these 2 screens). Third screen that you come to with have your user name and password on it and an "Advanced..." button.

6) Click the "Advanced..." button and then click the 'Server' tab that appears at the bottom of the next screen.

7) On the advanced screen, click the "Use specific server address" bullet point and enter the following DNS number....

This server will typically establish a connection much faster than the default setting from your service provider.

Good luck.
    Rackman - sorry for not responding to your post. I tried this, and you're right - it does move a lot faster. My e-mail still acts funny every once in a while, but that's usually when I have low signal strength. But this change helped a lot. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackman View Post

Good luck.
    Hi Rackman,
    I measured an average time (typically 1 minute and 15 seconds) between login, send, receive, and logout cycle to my Comcast email with default and your DNS recommended change, I found no difference in my average cycle time at all. When you mentioned you have gained improvement, what is your typical cycle time to connect to Comcast email? Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Tony
    what kinda battery life are you all gettinggg by checking your email so frequently?
    Hello Antonc,

I'm not connecting to Comcast but my connect cycle time is averaging 10 - 15 seconds if I'm in a good service area. If not, the cycle time will be longer of course.

For me, using the speed hack has greatly improved my speeds no matter if I'm in a strong or weak signal area.
    Hello Robodude,

I now have my Treo set up to check for messages every 8 minutes.

I have no problems with battery life but I am only using my Treo for email services about 2 - 4 hours per day.

I did purchase the extended battery which also helps.
    Hi Rackman,
    Many thanks for getting back to me. I suspect its Outlook Mobile as I used to connect to the same Comcast POP3 using Versamail from my old Treo 650, and it took no more than 15 seconds to complete the cycle. I am still searching if anyone has any success story to share that helps to reduce the login/logout cycle time using Outlook Mobile connecting to Comcast email servers. On the other hand, the lengthy cycle time only affects my POP3 accounts; my Outlook email works great as a result of the new Exchange Direct Push technology available for the 700WX.

And Hi Robodude, I set the time interval to check two of my POP3 accounts every 30 minutes (as oppose to every 5 minutes from Treo 650), and an Exchange Outlook mail account as "new item arrives", and my battery level will drop to about 50% capacity after about 11-12 hours on the road without charging, at the end of the day.

Cheers,
    Tony
    SF, CA