Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

    It's my first time trying out a WM device and I'm wondering if there are any differences between installing apps to internal RAM or expansion card?

    In the Palm OS, certain apps don't work unless they are installed into internal RAM - apps that run in the background, apps that generate system alarms, apps that monitor system events, etc.

    Is this the case with WM? If I were to install an alarm app onto the expansion card and then remove the expansion card, will the alarm still play or will it cause a system crash?

    Any insight would be helpful guys. Thanks.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow View Post
    Hi guys,

    It's my first time trying out a WM device and I'm wondering if there are any differences between installing apps to internal RAM or expansion card?

    In the Palm OS, certain apps don't work unless they are installed into internal RAM - apps that run in the background, apps that generate system alarms, apps that monitor system events, etc.

    Is this the case with WM? If I were to install an alarm app onto the expansion card and then remove the expansion card, will the alarm still play or will it cause a system crash?

    Any insight would be helpful guys. Thanks.
    No, there really is no difference with one exception. Programs like Today plug-ins or apps that are activated by a button press (ie. Pocket Informant) that wake up the device should be installed in main memory rather than on a storage card. Any other situation apps can be installed just fine on either main memory or memory card.

    HTH!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    No, there really is no difference with one exception. Programs like Today plug-ins or apps that are activated by a button press (ie. Pocket Informant) that wake up the device should be installed in main memory rather than on a storage card. Any other situation apps can be installed just fine on either main memory or memory card.

    HTH!
    I'm assuming the installation to RAM of today plug-ins are for speed purposes?

    Then what about an app like spb backup? Can I install it to the card and still have scheduled backups?
    Last edited by rudychow; 10/27/2006 at 08:14 AM.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
  4. #4  
    What's your opinion on phone and SMS screening apps(if there is one for WM5), JGold? This was a different OS, but I installed it in main memory just in case I removed the card for any reason.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow View Post
    I'm assuming the installation to RAM of today plug-ins are for speed78u6ourposes?
    No not really. The purpose of placing apps on main memory is that the SD card is not recognized immediatly after a power up (either from sleep mode or a soft reset). So, a plug-in may not be loaded properly on a soft reset if the SD card is not available at the time the plug-in is supposed to be loaded. The same holds true for an app that is launched when pressing a hardware button that wakes up the device.

    The what about an app like spb backup? Can I install it to the card and still have scheduled backups?
    I don't use scheduled backups so I installed Sprite to my mini-SD. However, I think that if the schedule automatically wakes up your device, you should install to main memory. You could try it out.

    And spb time? Will I need to install to RAM to have alarms?
    This one I think that once Time is loaded into ram it stays there. I don't think this is an issue installing to SD.

    What's your opinion on phone and SMS screening apps(if there is one for WM5), JGold? This was a different OS, but I installed it in main memory just in case I removed the card for any reason.
    My rule of thumb (YMMV) is that any app that I deem critical (can't be without) gets stored on main memory. There are times I switch cards (less nowadays since I have a 2GB). I also have the strange notion that ROM is a bit more reliable than removable media. During the 6+ years of using a PDA, I have had several media cards fail on me.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  6.    #6  
    Words of wisdom JGold! Top post!

    Should be a sticky!!
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)

Posting Permissions