Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'm trying to install mini opera and i know you need to have java on it. Where can i get java. I go to java's site and all they have are developer kits. What do i need to download? Thanks
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    why use opera MINI when there is opera mobile?
    Mini was designed for dumb phones.
    I agree with jdoc, I put opera mini on my 700wx just to try it out. I heard it was alot faster than other browsers. It sucks on this phone. You could scroll with the stylus, but to select items you had to select them with the d-pad. Doesn't fit well on the screen either since the Java Midlett app must be open also to run it. If you really want opera, download the mobile 8.6 version. If you like it after the trial runs out buy it. You might also want to try PIE plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
    I agree with jdoc, I put opera mini on my 700wx just to try it out. I heard it was alot faster than other browsers. It sucks on this phone. You could scroll with the stylus, but to select items you had to select them with the d-pad. Doesn't fit well on the screen either since the Java Midlett app must be open also to run it. If you really want opera, download the mobile 8.6 version. If you like it after the trial runs out buy it. You might also want to try PIE plus.

When installing Opera Mobile it ask that you select your phone. What did you select as the Treo is not listed?
    Quote Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
    Doesn't fit well on the screen either since the Java Midlett app must be open also to run it.
    What do you mean by that? It fits on the screen just fine, like any other application.

Also, using the Java version that's posted on this leads to the problem with the stylus. The newer JVM allows you to tap the links anyway you want, and it will connect to the internet if you're not already connected, a major issue in the old version.

I actually use Opera Mini as my primary browser, I found no speed advantage in Opera, whereas Mini is very quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by wny1mxo View Post
    When installing Opera Mobile it ask that you select your phone. What did you select as the Treo is not listed?
    Select "opera mobile for windws mobile 5.0"

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...Mobile%25205.0
    How much does this cost, and how good is the functionality of the 5-way?
    The trial is for like a month, plenty of time to explore....
    I'm a fan of Opera Mini. It uses a (proxy) server to help reduce image size and render the web page before downloading it to the phone. That way the amount of data and processing power required to display the page is greatly reduced before it's even downloaded.
    It's basically the similar effect to using skweezer.net in PIE.
    Opera Mobile is just a standard browse. It downloads the full web page and full images, then reduced/renders them on the device.

As a result Opera Mini is much much faster for web browsing. It's not the best web browser for all sites, but it's a great general browser for zipping around the internet, especially with sites with graphic heavy or script heavy pages.

Another advantage of opera mini is that it's way better than PIE or even Opera Mobile at rendering the web page for a small screen.

The down side is that it's Java, so it runs under MIDLET as opposed to being a WM native app. Also you can't set it as a default web browser because of htis.
    It's also not secure for senstive sites like Banking.
    Last edited by taylorh; 10/31/2006 at 02:20 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G