1.    #1  
    I just purchased pdanet for the wx, and have a few question.
    on the pc I saw some settings that I didn't understand. thought my smart buddies here at tc could help.

1. what does it mean when it says" do not go through RNDIS"?

I don't have my pc right now to state it exactly, but I'm sure if you are savvy with pdanet you will know what I mean. I googled "RSDIN" and didn't find anything but confusion. what does this do? what does it mean? what do I need to know for?

2. the "boost evdo speeds" settings? what does this actually do? when I ran the app for a week under the trial period I think it was twice as fast as it is now that I paid for it. I didn't do any speedtest to compare with, but it does seem a lot slower. so slow that I started looking for settings and that's when I found these.

3. I don't know any other of the setting available right now without having my pc, but if you do know settings that I should be aware of, please tell.

thanks, cody
    Last edited by codyppc; 10/26/2006 at 07:50 AM.
  2.    #2  
    45 lookers and no help? was this a hard question or did i **** everyone off and now thay dont want to help me?

bump
    I have not really had time to tweak around with PDAnet, but you can get a head start by reading some user experiences about RNDIS here.

From Wikipedia: "Microsoft Windows does not support the networking parts of the USB CDC, instead promoting its own derivative named Microsoft RNDIS, a serialized version of the Microsoft NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification)."

So I would think this "do not go through RNDIS" is an option to bypass Microsoft's USB networking if you have issues with it.

No, I don't think you pissed anyone off. You're part of our treo family... (oh and if you already saw the threads..think of this as a free bump for ya...)
    Last edited by olywogle; 10/26/2006 at 04:20 PM.
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    I Think RNDIS is the networking that ActiveSync uses to connect to the treo. If you notice, the little network icon appears in the tray when you connect. The PDA net option to bypass, didn't change my experience.

I saw no changes with "boost EVDO" Speed.

Ironically I just sent an email to Junefabrics support asking the same two questions...plus my main question:

Network connection lost every two minutes!

Their FAQ only mentions trying to disable other LAN devices. No effect for me. Oddly, I never had that problem before actually buying it

Any help out there?
    This in from junefabrics:

> 1. I get a quick connection, but it drops every few minutes, "Network Connection Lost." I read the FAQ and tried disabling my Lan card to now effect. My Cisco adapter was not inserted/active. Very frustration!

You can try PdaNet from a different computer to make sure it is not a data service problem.

> 2. What does"Boost EVDO Spee" do?

It optimized the network setting on your computer for EVDO connection.

> 3. What does "Do not use RNDIS" Do?

It is only used when your computer is blocking certain network connections and PdaNet could not detect the device.

Thanks,
    June Fabrics PDA Software Support
    http://www.junefabrics.com
    And another response:

> 1. Is this a data service problem, a laptop problem or a Treo problem...how do I isolate?
    It is most likely a laptop problem at the network part (not sure which area though). Usually it will connect fine on a different computer.

> 2. Does active sync need to be installed on the test computer?
    Yes.

> 3. What if any applications/services are known to cause the connection lost issue? Firewalls..messaging progrrams...network printer software from HP...adaware..hot sync? I'll try disabling stuff on the laptop.

All possible. Try to disable LAN and WiFi first.

> 4. Is there a setting on the phone that limits the connection time? A registry keep alive hack?

No. Not related to the phone.

Thanks,
    June Fabrics PDA Software Support
    http://www.junefabrics.com

I haven't had much time to troubleshoot much, but I disabled a bunch of services on my computer, and it seemed to hold a connection longer. Just need to start them one by one to figure out what it is...
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I'm using the latest version on my laptop with Vista RC2, and it's working great (with my 6700).
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post

Ironically I just sent an email to Junefabrics support asking the same two questions...plus my main question:

Network connection lost every two minutes!

Their FAQ only mentions trying to disable other LAN devices. No effect for me. Oddly, I never had that problem before actually buying it

Any help out there?
    Hello Treocentral folks,

I have also experienced the same PdaNet network connection lost or auto disconnection usually after a short successful connected interval, and then the 700 WX would lock up and require a soft reset to work again. In the beginning I wrote to JuneFabrics, but the developer(s) offered no specific solution. I finally decided to do my own research, and now I would like to share what I believe have found a solution to the constant network disconnection issue using PdaNet.

The cause of this turns out the Windows registry value assigned for the TCPWindowSize is set too high for PdaNet/Treo 700WX EVDO. Normally the value is appropriate when the connection to the Internet is via DSL/Cable and alike. But with Treo EVDO using PdaNet, this value needs to be lower. Caution, before changing this value, make sure to write it down in case you need to restore it later.

I experimented using different values starting from 13140, and increase it with an incremental value of 1460 after checking each connection speed at www.dslreports.com/mspeed by downloading at least the 600k file. Once you have lower the value to the starting value of ~13140, you will not get further disconnection but this may also slow down your speed, so the ideal process is to increase the value until your speed is up to EVDO par and not causing any auto network disconnection (of course assuming you have no other active network as JuneFabrics has suggested in its website FAQ). For your reference, the optimal value for my laptop setting is usually one of these three values (17520, 18980, and 20440) as the value requires changes somewhat depending on my Treo EVDO speed connecting at different times. I hope this helps to solve the issue, and feel free to post your results.

Cheers,
    Tony
    SF, CA
    In my case the lost connection was as June Fabrics suggested.....a conflicting network adapter. Took a while to figure out, because the obvious adapters where my lan and wifi card...still lost conection.

After closing all apps and unnecessary processes, it worked. Turns out it was a a networking app that was installed by a HP network printer. I hate all the crap HP installs just to use a darn network printer. I disabled the print monitor thingy in the startup, and PDA net works fine. Funny thing is I can print fine without all the HP crap running in the background as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    In my case the lost connection was as June Fabrics suggested.....a conflicting network adapter. Took a while to figure out, because the obvious adapters where my lan and wifi card...still lost conection.

After closing all apps and unnecessary processes, it worked. Turns out it was a a networking app that was installed by a HP network printer. I hate all the crap HP installs just to use a darn network printer. I disabled the print monitor thingy in the startup, and PDA net works fine. Funny thing is I can print fine without all the HP crap running in the background as well.

Hi Akenis,
    Glad you have solved your issue. So what is your typically speed using PdaNet with USB/BT?