Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As suggested by JGold, I tried the OpenDNS servers for the lookup access in Internet Explorer on the 750v.

Let me say I never found the lookup time for a site on T-Mobile or Verizon a big deal. Cingular's lookup is horrendously slow! I mean really, they are using one old PC for all their looup requests or something? I've never seen anything as slow as the Cingular lookup.

Changing the advanced options for the DNS servers in your connection setting (by default the Cingular setting if it read it off your SIM) according to this:
    http://www.opendns.com/start/windows_mobile5.php

makes a world of difference. Lookups are now reasonable. I need to test some more, but everything I tried ranged from a bit faster to a huge amount faster than thru the native Cingular DNS servers.

Anyone using Cingular should give this a try and say thanks to JGold for the suggestion.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Anyone using Cingular should give this a try and say thanks to JGold for the suggestion.
    Thanks for the props! I coupled the DNS changes with PIEPlus and found it to be a great overall surfing experience. I was using Opera but there were just too many little annoying things so I switched back to PIE with PiePlus.

Enjoy!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    thanks so uch for the info.
    don't know much about this.but I assume this just increases the speed in accessing the web..not data speeds.
    I DID get 488kbps after inserting the dns #'s..but I think that's just 2wire's margin of error.
  4.    #4  
    It doesn't address making data download faster. What it does do is allow the browser to figure out where to find the data faster. I don't know about you but I get major delays while it's "locating" before it can figure out where to get the data. I don't know why Cingular's DNS service is so slow, I've never seen anything like it before.
    Also disable the proxy server setting (which is enabled by default, at least on WM5 phones that Cingular ships.) The proxy sever setting: wireless.cingular.com, port 80, is a bottleneck and will seriously slow down your downloads. This proxy server is ONLY needed to access the Media net home page at http://home/
    Otherwise disable it! Between this and using OpenDNS (or any DNS server you chose out on the internet such as you home broadband ISP) will make the DNS resolution much faster and start your downloads faster.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    wheres the port setting?
  7.    #7  
    You normally specify a port like wireless.cingular.com:80.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    so you mean where the initial access point box is?
  9.    #9  
    No, if you go to connection, then the advanced tab, there is a button to select network. If you have my ISP selected, you won't see the areas to set any proxy. But if you select Media Net, and edit then you will see an additional tab at the bottom saying proxy. That is where you enter this info. If you are using the My ISP, then don't worry about it.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Does this work on the 650 (Palm OS) also? How do you modify the DNS settings when Cingular GRMS is the default, pre-set configuration?
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    nevermind...opendns has excellent directions on their website - and my treo is MUCH faster!
    Awesome - thanks for the suggestion - very nice difference in speed!!!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Is there any way to access http://device.home/ with the wireless proxy unchecked? I like to access Cingular's WAP deck from time to time...
  14.    #14  
    The only way to access the medianet home is to switch the connection in the advanced tab from My ISP to Media Net. But when you do that you lose the ability to connect to email.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Does this affect data usage in any way? I am using the Media Max plan on Cingular. I would hate to be one of those who get the huge bill at the end of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    As suggested by JGold, I tried the OpenDNS servers for the lookup access in Internet Explorer on the 750v.

Let me say I never found the lookup time for a site on T-Mobile or Verizon a big deal. Cingular's lookup is horrendously slow! I mean really, they are using one old PC for all their looup requests or something? I've never seen anything as slow as the Cingular lookup.

Changing the advanced options for the DNS servers in your connection setting (by default the Cingular setting if it read it off your SIM) according to this:
    http://www.opendns.com/start/windows_mobile5.php

makes a world of difference. Lookups are now reasonable. I need to test some more, but everything I tried ranged from a bit faster to a huge amount faster than thru the native Cingular DNS servers.

Followed the instructions to the T on the Treo 750v and it didn't work despite rebooting, etc, double-checking.
    Still get the standard this is a demonstration site, etc.
    craigslist.og doesn't redirect.
    Essentially its a proxy, its great for sites that don't offer a mobile version and I've experienced great speed improvements coupled with opendns.

http://www.google.com/gwt/n
  18.    #18  
    Don't know what you mean by redirect. This has nothing to do with that. This only sets up the DNS server to be those from OpenDNS rather than the standard Cingular ones.

Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Followed the instructions to the T on the Treo 750v and it didn't work despite rebooting, etc, double-checking.
    Still get the standard this is a demonstration site, etc.
    craigslist.og doesn't redirect.
    Excellent, big improvement! Thanks, bcaslis!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    i tried the setting for dns...but when i try the test on my 750..the welcomeopendns...it give me an X.....and i doing something wrong...im also using my isp...help...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast