Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMeat View Post
    Why would Sprint release the WX in the first place? If the 750 was just around the corner?

The same could be asked of Verizon--why release two WM Treos that have basically the same features, except that one has a little more RAM?

If Sprint thinks such a device will sell, they'll offer it. (Not to say this rumor is entirely true, but a 750-esque device will eventually make it to CDMA.)
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenke View Post
    The same could be asked of Verizon--why release two WM Treos that have basically the same features, except that one has a little more RAM?

If Sprint thinks such a device will sell, they'll offer it. (Not to say this rumor is entirely true, but a 750-esque device will eventually make it to CDMA.)
    I can't imagine that Verizon will keep the 700w once the 700wx is released. The fact that their picking it up is all but an admission that they didn't put enough memory in the 700w.
    PDA history - Psion 5/Sharp Mobilon/Jornada 540/ipaq 3835/ipaq 3935/ipaq 5550/ipaq 4700/PPC-6700/Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
    I can't imagine that Verizon will keep the 700w once the 700wx is released. The fact that their picking it up is all but an admission that they didn't put enough memory in the 700w.
    Palm makes the phone, not Verizon. Verizon gave the OK, but the fault lies w/Palm, not VZW.

Did any RAZR owners complain when the new "media" razr hit the market, with GPS to boot? Maybe they did, but they certainly didn't get anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Palm makes the phone, not Verizon. Verizon gave the OK, but the fault lies w/Palm, not VZW.

Did any RAZR owners complain when the new "media" razr hit the market, with GPS to boot? Maybe they did, but they certainly didn't get anywhere.
    OK...that wasn't the point I was trying to make but let me rephrase it. The fact that Verizon (the seller of the phone) is picking it up is all but an admission that Palm (the manufacturer of Treo) didn't put enough memory in the 700w.
    PDA history - Psion 5/Sharp Mobilon/Jornada 540/ipaq 3835/ipaq 3935/ipaq 5550/ipaq 4700/PPC-6700/Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post

Well the media RAZR came out almost 2 years after the original, not 8 months later.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    COMPLETELY O/T so ignore if not interested! (sorry)

I always found this argument completly baseless and specious.

That's like saying no company can release a new version of something with new, improved features because it's admitting the old version wasn't as good.

Of course the old version is not as good, that's why it's new (and improved!, as the saying goes). That's how progress works. Everything improves upon the old.

Should Palm not fix their BT stack in the next version b/c in doing so, it's an "admission" that their original version was a mistake or not built well? Then we should all continue to suffer?

If every company got sued b/c it released a new version with better features that would stifle innovation, period.

Fact is, the 700w works as a pda and a phone. Does it work well? Depends on your defiintion. If it was completely unusable, then you should have returned it witih in 14 days.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I always found this argument completly baseless and specious.

That's like saying no company can release a new version of something with new, improved features because it's admitting the old version wasn't as good.

Of course the old version is not as good, that's why it's new (and improved!, as the saying goes). That's how progress works. Everything improves upon the old.

Should Palm not fix their BT stack in the next version b/c in doing so, it's an "admission" that their original version was a mistake or not built well? Then we should all continue to suffer?

If every company got sued b/c it released a new version with better features that would stifle innovation, period.

Fact is, the 700w works as a pda and a phone. Does it work well? Depends on your defiintion. If it was completely unusable, then you should have returned it witih in 14 days.
    Off topic indeed!
    I'm not sure where all the hostility is coming from. I never owned the 700w...I was merely stating its most obvious flaw. I'm not saying that no one could use it and that it was a complete piece of junk. I just don't think Palm put as much R&D into their first WM device as they should have. It's not like Palm was incapable of putting more memory in because of technological limitations. You mentioned that how well it worked is based on definition...exactly! Many people who bought the phone love it except for the memory issue. Because memory is the only difference in the two devices, it just seems obvious that they realized the problem and are rectifying it. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers...that wasn't the intent.
    Off topic indeed!
    I'm not sure where all the hostility is coming from. I never owned the 700w...I was merely stating its most obvious flaw. I'm not saying that no one could use it and that it was a complete piece of junk. I just don't think Palm put as much R&D into their first WM device as they should have. It's not like Palm was incapable of putting more memory in because of technological limitations. You mentioned that how well it worked is based on definition...exactly! Many people who bought the phone love it except for the memory issue. Because memory is the only difference in the two devices, it just seems obvious that they realized the problem and are rectifying it. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers...that wasn't the intent.
    lol, no hositility and wasn't really directed at you just in general as I've seen the "it's an admission of faulty design" argument so many times around here. nothing personal. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Well the media RAZR came out almost 2 years after the original, not 8 months later.
    I think s/he was referencing the V3c to the V3m--both do basically the same thing (with minor changes) and were released within a very short time of each other.

Anyway...I still think it's conceivable Palm will make a CDMA version of the 750 (and maybe even the 680) and the two US carriers will pick them up. I can see this happening next summer.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    This is a chart made by Andrew at Treonauts, not by CompUSA. look here: http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/10/treo_family_com.html
    Never said that the chart was made by CompUSA, check the 3 pics on the first post.
    Treo 700wx, Topram 4GB 150x

Anyone want a Treo 700p for $430 ?
    H1DC never said the chart was made by CompUSA, the shots of the price/info he posted were from CompUSA not Treonauts. The chart below was.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenke View Post
    I think s/he was referencing the V3c to the V3m--both do basically the same thing (with minor changes) and were released within a very short time of each other.

Anyway...I still think it's conceivable Palm will make a CDMA version of the 750 (and maybe even the 680) and the two US carriers will pick them up. I can see this happening next summer.
    Yes that what he (me) meant. Thank you.
    Well...here we go, now this rumor is finally spreading (at least the more sites pick up on it, the more than can either debunk or confirm it):

Treo 750w at Sprint

Sprint Crams EV-DO and EDGE Into the Treo 750w, HUH!?

Jimmie Geddes
    Treonauts has a blurb about it too.

More than three sources! It must be true! :P

My fingers are still crossed.
    there all just running with the same info. the pic from compusa.

i dont care if there are three. there all the same. give three different sources and i'll belive it. one pic from compusa three times is cutting it.
    Well, not only are the all running with the same info,but not one bit of agreement, confirmation or more info has leaked (e.g. you'd expect some other people to give a wink and a nod, like engadget...)

Is CompUSA Confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget Mobile
    So, last time we checked, the Palm Treo 750 was a GSM / GPRS / EDGE / UMTS / HSDPA handset destined for the likes of Vodafone and Cingular. So why is it, then, that a couple images have leaked out of a draft CompUSA ad offering a Sprint 750w with "EDGE/EVDO technology" for a cool $300? Hey, if Sprint wants to rock an upgraded 700wx with GSM for global compatibility, far be it from us to complain -- but something tells us our friends at CompUSA just got a little confused while getting their ad flyers ready.
    I dunno, this doesn't bode well for the Sprint/750 story, at least not anytime soon.

I passed it along to engadgetmobile hoping they could maybe help shed light on the truth with some investigation...they just got around to putting it up today
    looks like a commenter at engadetmobile has some interesting info:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/10/29/a-treo-750w-on-sprint-is-compusa-confused/#comments
    I work for compusa personally and thats a hand made tag...first theres no sku # second i checked our database theres no such thing...and yes we do carry the 700wx...as for the 750 its not real...im waiting for confirmation from both the sprint account exuctive president of the new england states and my stores cingular rep...dont believe the picture
    Nice find akijikan.

that makes the most sense. I think we can just about put this "rumor" to bed now, lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast