Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thanks to mrailing over at pdaphonehome for the info...

This is useless information RIGHT NOW for us treo users, but Sprint will be releasing the ppc-6800 in the next few months, which is rumored top be rev A capable with a ROM update after release. This is a sign of things to come for ALL phones, regardless:

Of course to take advantage of it, you will need a REV A card or capable phone, but I thought since we had talked about this in the past, I would bring it up....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    (from mrailing)

Enjoy, link and story below...

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=13980

Story
    =======================================

Also launches first USB EVDO Rev A Card!
    OVERLAND PARK, Kan. − Oct. 24, 2006 − Sprint today announced that it has upgraded the Sprint Power Vision NetworkSM, the nation’s largest wireless broadband network covering more than 164 million people, with the faster EV-DO Revision A technology in the San Diego market - making it the first market in the country to have the technology commercially available. With the upgraded mobile broadband network, customers in San Diego will ultimately be able to utilize richer applications and services such as high-speed video telephony, music on demand, video messaging and large file uploads.

San Diego is the first of 21 markets where Sprint will roll out EV-DO Revision A this year with coverage expected to reach more than 40 million people. Sprint Power Vision users in these markets should experience significantly faster average upload speeds of 300-400 kbps (compared with 50-70 kbps of current EV-DO networks). Average download speeds should also increase to 450–800 kbps from 400-700 kbps. By 3Q 2007, Sprint’s Power Vision network is expected to be completely upgraded to the faster EV-DO Revision A.

The other markets scheduled to launch this year are:

1. Baltimore

2. Boston

3. Buffalo, N.Y.

4. Denver

5. Detroit

6. Hartford, Conn.

7. Kansas City, Mo

8. Las Vegas

9. Los Angeles

10. Milwaukee

11. Newark/Trenton, N.J.

12. New York City

13. Philadelphia

14. Pittsburgh

15. Providence, R.I.

16. Sacramento, Calif.

17. Salt Lake City

18. San Francisco

19. Seattle

20. Washington, D.C.

“Sprint’s mobile broadband leadership is unmatched. Not only do we have the largest mobile broadband network, but with the upgraded EV-DO Revision A technology Sprint Power Vision will also be the fastest wireless broadband network in the country,” said Kathy Walker, chief network officer for Sprint. “The power of Sprint’s networks, especially with this EV-DO Revision A upgrade, allows Sprint to deliver a mobile broadband experience to our customers that no other carrier can provide.”

The upgrade to EV-DO Revision A is expected to further drive Sprint’s industry-leading wireless data average revenue per user as customers will be able to use the upgraded network to utilize applications such as all IP video telephony, high-performance push-to-talk (walkie-talkie service), multi-user video conferencing, real-time gaming and video streaming of both content and live web cams simultaneously as they become available.

EV-DO Revision A coverage in most markets will initially be concentrated in airports and business districts where wireless data demand is highest and will expand to include Sprint’s entire market footprint. Overall, Sprint plans to reach more than 200 million people in the U.S. with mobile broadband data services (including both EV-DO Revisions 0 and A) in 220 major metropolitan areas across the country with its Power Vision network by the end of 2006.

Sprint Mobile Broadband Cards
    As Sprint continues to launch EV-DO Revision A service in markets across the country, it is also expanding its Revision A-capable device portfolio. In early November, Sprint will make its first mobile broadband USB modem available - the Sprint Mobile Broadband USB Modem by Novatel Wireless Ovation U720. This device plugs into the USB port of any compatible laptop and will allow customers to connect to the Sprint Power Vision Network and wirelessly access audio, video and data applications. The Novatel Wireless sells for a suggested retail price of $249.99 or is available for as low as $49.99 with a two-year subscriber agreement and mail-in-rebate.

The Novatel Wireless U720 joins three previously announced EV-DO Revision A-compatible connection cards: the Pantech PX-500, Sierra Wireless Aircard®595 and the Novatel Wireless S720. Designed for operation with compatible laptops with Type II PCMCIA slots and the Linksys Wireless G-Router for Mobile Broadband, these three devices are available through all Sprint indirect and business sales channels and online at www.sprint.com. Additionally, the Novatel Wireless U720 and the Pantech PX-500 are available in Sprint retail stores.

All of these devices will also work on the Sprint Power Vision Network where the EV-DO Revision A upgrade is not yet available. Service plans for all cards currently range from $39.99 per month for 40 MB to $79.99 per month for unlimited data usage. Customers signing a two-year Sprint subscriber agreement may also be eligible to receive unlimited data usage for $59.99 per month (no separate voice plan required).
    Are you kidding me? Where is Chicago? It's only the 3rd largest city in the country. Oh, but they have Milwaukee. That makes sense. If I was a Sprint user I'd be outraged!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Exactly...or Houston (#4) - They must be using up a ton of bandwidth in Providence with a population under 200,000!
    PDA history - Psion 5/Sharp Mobilon/Jornada 540/ipaq 3835/ipaq 3935/ipaq 5550/ipaq 4700/PPC-6700/Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Boston Yay!!
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    No Phoenix, but Salt Lake? They must just be doing these rev's in areas where their switching backbone was recently replaced.
    11. Newark/Trenton, N.J.

12. New York City

Glad I'm covered
    Jimmie Geddes
    Or near whichever Congressman was last "entertained" by their lobbyist.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Or near whichever Congressman was last "entertained" by their lobbyist.
    Or their page?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Or their page?
    Very good
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    11. Newark/Trenton, N.J.

12. New York City

Glad I'm covered
    Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Are you kidding me? Where is Chicago? It's only the 3rd largest city in the country. Oh, but they have Milwaukee. That makes sense. If I was a Sprint user I'd be outraged!
    I'm a Sprint user and I'm outraged that they are rolling out Gen2 EVDO while I am still on 1x (as well as many other cities).

Sprint, how about getting the entire network up and running on EVDO rather than advancing markets that have had it for a long time already!!!
    Yes!! I live in Los Angeles & my home town is Milwaukee so I'm covered... :-)
    Actually RevA barely increases download speeds (10-15%), it really affects upload speeds, so I guess it's not that big a deal. I ain't uploadin' sh*t!
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
  14.    #14  
    The "average" speed is only slightly higher, but peak is a considerable difference.

Besides, upload is more than double, and VOICE/DATA SIMULTANEOUSLY! I personally can't wait...
    Does that mean that with my Treo 700wx I can get Rev A speeds? I am in San Francisco.
    does anyone know if our phone has the chip set to do rev a. I remember people saying that it mite but the phone had to be opened up to look at the chip set. I never heard anything else about this. surely someone has opened one up buy now ( shadowmite or service and repair guy)
  17.    #17  
    Yeah as far as I know, it was never opened up. But most of us assume it does NOT have the chipset, since the 700w does not.
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    The "average" speed is only slightly higher, but peak is a considerable difference.

Besides, upload is more than double, and VOICE/DATA SIMULTANEOUSLY! I personally can't wait...
    Well, I think standared EVDO has d/l speed range of 400-700 whereas I think EVDO-Rev.A is 450-800, could be wrong though. However, I did NOT know about simultaneous voice/data. That is awesome! Man, I have the worst tendency to skim/scan articles and miss major info. Thanks LP!
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Quote Originally Posted by budney View Post
    And it looks as though it has the MSM6500 Qualcomm chip. This means that it will not be upgradeable to Revision A.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast