Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please forgive me.. I searched and couldn't find a good answer..

I want to be abkle to get on to my work system with the 700wx.

Normally, I VPN in, then use Remote Desktop to connect which brings me toa work dekstop.

How do I do this with the 700wx....?

I am able to use the VPN program to connect, but that is it.,. nothing happens thereafter.

What do I need that acts like Remote desktop but on Treo to connect to work network desktop.

THanks for help

Mike
    Last edited by MikeRadio; 10/24/2006 at 04:39 PM.
    Would you prefer to use a 3rd party, free program to do this? It is a lot easier to set up...

www.logmein.com
  3.    #3  
    Well after setting the VPN up witht he Treo, I would; assume I need a 3rd party program to get to the terminal desktop..l somethign that works like remote desktop.

I am happy paying for something if it works and is good..

I'm sure others do the same thing I am trying to do.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    Well after setting the VPN up witht he Treo, I would; assume I need a 3rd party program to get to the terminal desktop..l somethign that works like remote desktop.

I am happy paying for something if it works and is good..

I'm sure others do the same thing I am trying to do.

Mike
    Others are doing it already, including myself, and we are not paying for it.

Check the link above, it works beautifully
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I like pcAnywhere but it's not free. I was already using it so the mobile version was perfect for me.

Greg
    I have used terminal service client to connect to my work.
    Just type the IP and hit connect thats it.

Also I have sued logmein.com and it works pretty good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by osva View Post
    I have used terminal service client to connect to my work.
    Just type the IP and hit connect thats it.

Also I have sued logmein.com and it works pretty good too.

Is logmein free?
    how safe is logmein? can they take control over your pc and maybe "Borrow" some files etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
    Is logmein free?
    They have a free version and a PRO version..
    http://www.logmein.com
    Go there and take a look.
  10. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I'd like to find a better RDP client than the built-in Terminal Services client. The built in one is stable but lacks features that I was used to on Palm. I can't remember the palm version I used but it offered control of session screen reolution, zooming in and out and stuff. Seen anything out there?
    I use Remote Desktop, z2Remote 2PC, and PCAnywhere. All are fairly slow, so I use SSH(mtoken) to login in for basic stuff. Each has some good points. One thing I do like about PCA is that it is the only one that will store the password so you don't have to type it in each time. that is a timesaver for me when I just need to do quick stuff. z2, however has lots of options. z2 also has a free trial.
    another vote for logmein. it's awesome.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  13. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Hmm, can't get to www.logmein.com right now. Is logmein a true RDP client for Windows Terminal Services or is this more similar to pcanywhere, requiring a propietary service on the host?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonphillips View Post
    I use Remote Desktop, z2Remote 2PC, and PCAnywhere.
    Is Remote Desktop the same as the built-in Terminal Services app on the 700wx? If not, do you know the link?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Once you've made the VPN connection, Just use VNC. I'm sure this is what you were using on your Palm. A decent PPC copy can be found here:

http://home.utah.edu/~mcm5849/wince/...03/vncview.exe

Doesn't support server-side scaling, but works well otherwise. Also, it's free.

You would have to load the server on the office system (found here: http://www.realvnc.com), but, if you were usung this on your Palm, you already have it loaded.
  15.    #15  
    I still am not getting a good answer or am really confused or sonething is working right...

1- I set up the VPN and it connects

2 -It just sits there

On a desktop machine I am able to go to remote desktop but in the proper IP and see the DESKTOP from work.

HOW can I do that or what am I doing wrong? What do I need on the phone side if anything... I can NOT put something on our wprk server... I am sure others habve to do this also.

Please step me through this like someone who dnt know what they are doing.. thank youz!!!
  16. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Are you trying to connect to a Windows Terminal Server from your phone? If you can do this from an internet connected desktop without a VPN, you can do it from your 700wx. Just open the Terminal Services program (built-in, check out Start -> Programs -> Terminal Services) and enter the IP or fully qualified domain name.

If you normally must connect your desktop to a VPN before you can remote desktop, you will have to do the same with your Treo. I haven't used a VPN software on the Treo before so can't speak to that. After your VPN connects you can open Terminal Services to connect.

Do I understand your issue?
    I am a Microsoft and Exchange administrator.

I know there are issues when you try to VPN in to a Microsoft network and attempt a terminal services (Remote Desktop) connection to a server or PC on your internal netwowk. It just doesn't work properly.

Yeah VNC is a way to get it to work, but that involves loading a VNC server client on every desktop and server you want to be able to control. If you need access to a large farm of servers, its just not practical to load VNC on every server.

I am getting a 700wx in the mail this week, and the first thing I am going to work on is getting VPN and RDP working properly. If I can figure something out, i'll post it here.

I may even open up a support case with Microsoft and see what they say, since its very worth it for me to get this working.

Its supposed to be easy to set up... but for some reason it doesn't work properly. This issue is well documented on the web.
    Oh and this "issue" with VPN and WM5 is with any device. I believe i'ts not limited to a specific device or carrier. My boss is having the same issue with his 8125 WM5 phone and he is on Cingular.
    Well I don't know about anyone else.... but I just got Remote Desktop working... through my job's VPN... using the Treo. I can now remotely connect to any server in my server farm... no different than what I can do if I am sitting on a PC on my network.

Life is good.

ETA: Also got my boss's Cinglar WM5 device working too. So it definitely was not a carrier issue.

Now if i can find an RDP client that works better than the built in terminal services client... it would be a plus. But its not a deal breaker.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonphillips View Post
    I use Remote Desktop, z2Remote 2PC, and PCAnywhere. All are fairly slow,....
    I don't think pcAnywhere is slow at all. I like it much better than Terminal Services Client. I think it lets you navigate the screen of the remote computer so much easier.

Well I don't know about anyone else.... but I just got Remote Desktop working... through my job's VPN... using the Treo. I can now remotely connect to any server in my server farm... no different than what I can do if I am sitting on a PC on my network.
    Glad you got it working.

Greg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast