Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm continually getting errors when I try to install .cab files directly on my wx. This happened with every cab file I downloaded from the free cabs site as well as today when I tried to install adobe flash. The cab file seems to download normally from the web site, seems to copy over to my wx ok, but when I click on the file to execute it, I get this error message:

    "The file fp_ppc_en.cab cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file."

    This seems to happen whether I'm downloading the cab file directly to my ppc or whether I just copy it over from the desktop. I've tried re-downloading several times with the same result.

    Any ideas what causes this and a fix? I know I've installed cab files successfully in the past.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by zagleft1 View Post
    I'm continually getting errors when I try to install .cab files directly on my wx. This happened with every cab file I downloaded from the free cabs site as well as today when I tried to install adobe flash. The cab file seems to download normally from the web site, seems to copy over to my wx ok, but when I click on the file to execute it, I get this error message:

    "The file fp_ppc_en.cab cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file."

    This seems to happen whether I'm downloading the cab file directly to my ppc or whether I just copy it over from the desktop. I've tried re-downloading several times with the same result.

    Any ideas what causes this and a fix? I know I've installed cab files successfully in the past.
    You need to apply a WM5 security prompt fix. Get it here:

    http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/file...ile.php?lid=16
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it unfortunately didn't fix the problem. I turned off the security prompt using the exe you linked me to, then recopied the cab file over from my pc to my ppc. Getting the same error still. Any other ideas?
  4. GregE's Avatar
    Posts
    521 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    #4  
    Does it happen all of the time? Can you tell us what you are installing when you get it?

    Greg
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zagleft1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it unfortunately didn't fix the problem. I turned off the security prompt using the exe you linked me to, then recopied the cab file over from my pc to my ppc. Getting the same error still. Any other ideas?
    Did you soft reset after applying the change?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  6. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Did you soft reset after applying the change?
    Yes, didn't seem to make a difference.

    I downloaded several cabs from that freeware cabs site (name's escaping me right now); all of them prompted this error message.

    It happened when I tried to install skype directly via cab, same message; I was eventually able to install skype via the exe mode..

    Most recently, trying to install Adobe Flash Player 7, which is only available as a cab download. Neither direct download to ppc nor desktop download/copy over/execute seems to make a difference. Thanks for any additional ideas you may have.
  7. GregE's Avatar
    Posts
    521 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    #7  
    Were you installing to storage card or main memory? My guess is you tried both.
  8. #8  
    it might alos be the stupid conversion thing. try emailing the cab and downloading it from e-mail
  9. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    Were you installing to storage card or main memory? My guess is you tried both.
    Well, things never really get to that point. I had copied the cab file to storage card but the error message comes when I try to open the cab file itself to initiate install. Think it would make a difference if I copied it to main memory instead? Couldn't hurt to try....
  10. GregE's Avatar
    Posts
    521 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zagleft1 View Post
    Well, things never really get to that point. I had copied the cab file to storage card but the error message comes when I try to open the cab file itself to initiate install. Think it would make a difference if I copied it to main memory instead? Couldn't hurt to try....
    That might even show you have a bad storage card. I copy mine to the storage card and then install from there to either main memory or the storage card.

    Greg
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zagleft1 View Post
    Well, things never really get to that point. I had copied the cab file to storage card but the error message comes when I try to open the cab file itself to initiate install. Think it would make a difference if I copied it to main memory instead? Couldn't hurt to try....
    If this does work, then your card is either bad or needs to be formatted again.
  12. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggggant View Post
    it might alos be the stupid conversion thing. try emailing the cab and downloading it from e-mail
    Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't work, though.
  13. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    That might even show you have a bad storage card. I copy mine to the storage card and then install from there to either main memory or the storage card.

    Greg
    Thanks, didn't work. Same result copying to main memory as when it was copied to card. This is driving me crazy.....
  14. #14  
    I've been a PPC user for 7 years and I haven't seen this except for when I've installed something that conflicted with your base OS. Hard reset and start over.
  15. #15  
    If the cab tries to install over a file that is currently loaded by a process you can get that error. What is it you are installing?

    Edit: Oh I see you said that you are getting this error for several freeware apps. hmm, I agree with Stone. Backup your stuff and perform a hard reset and see if it installs then.
  16. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    If the cab tries to install over a file that is currently loaded by a process you can get that error. What is it you are installing?

    Edit: Oh I see you said that you are getting this error for several freeware apps. hmm, I agree with Stone. Backup your stuff and perform a hard reset and see if it installs then.
    I've tried a few more random cab files I just downloaded and its all the same, so maybe there is a hard reset in my future ( ). This will be my first on the wx

    If you don't mind, a question on hard resets, which I'm not very experienced with. If I hard reset and then do a restore from a recent Sprite backup on sd, will that simply "recreate" whatever problem is causing this in the first place? Or does that sometimes clear up problems. The thought of reloading all my programs is depressing......

    Thanks for all the assistance/suggestions thus far.
  17. #17  
    It most likely will clear up your problem even after restoring your apps from backup. I'd try this in two steps.

    1) backup and hard reset. Try to install a cab and see if it works prior to restoring your other files.

    2) If that worked hard reset again and restore your files and then try the cab install again. It should work.
  18. Pibe38's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    It most likely will clear up your problem even after restoring your apps from backup. I'd try this in two steps.

    1) backup and hard reset. Try to install a cab and see if it works prior to restoring your other files.

    2) If that worked hard reset again and restore your files and then try the cab install again. It should work.
    What hannip said...
  19. Zagleft1's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
       #19  
    Well, the good news is that I narrowed down the problem. The bad news is that I narrowed down the problem.

    Hard reset, cab installs fine.
    Hard reset, sprite restore, original problem back, can't open cab file
    Guess this means I have some sort of terminal corruption running around in there somewhere...

    So now I get to choose between not installing cab files or a few hours of work re-installing all my programs. Bummer

    On a more positive note, at least I know that my Sprite back up program is working fine.....

    Thanks much to everyone who tried to help.
  20. GregE's Avatar
    Posts
    521 Posts
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    #20  
    If you do re-install, I would recommend a backup after each install. Then you can always go back to the point right before you find the offending program.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions