Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wondering if anyone has one here yet. How are your data speeds? Used Wifi on it yet with a minisd wifi card? Where'd you buy it and how much was it to ship here?
    To get one on Rogers it would have to be unlocked from Voda first. I don't think there are any Rogers branded 750-s
    I have one. It only gets EDGE but email and web seem quick. I just did a test and got 129KBS.

I have not used WiFi as I do not know which WiFi card will work with it.

I bought mine from CTI Miami www.cti-miami.com but I think they are out of stock. Shipping was $10.89 USD Handling, $9.95 USD and I paid UPS $5.19 CDN (Duties?)

The biggest issue for me is learning WM, at present I find the Palm interface much easier. Also, my eyesight is not great, so the screen resolution does affect me. I spent quite a bit of time playing with the font sizes so I can see them. I am also hard of hearing so thats an issue for me, i think the 650 had a louder ring.

I need to spend more time with WM, as others have stated. Now, if the 750 had the Palm OS, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevich View Post
    Wondering if anyone has one here yet. How are your data speeds? Used Wifi on it yet with a minisd wifi card? Where'd you buy it and how much was it to ship here?
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    You can pick up a Treo 750v in the GTA from these guys:

http://www.cellzunlocked.ca/index.php

I like 'em 'cos they list prices in CAD $s and include taxes for pickup orders.
    Hey Clevich,
    I purchased one from ImportGSM off of ebay. I was a little nervous because it was my first real eBay purchase. Paid about $877CAN then FedEx charged another $130CAN. So, it was a lot more than I wanted to pay for my 750v but I'm still happy that I got it. It arrived very quickly.

I haven't tried an miniSD wifi card because I read off of some website that the one that currently exists sticks out of the side a little. So, I'm hoping that someone will find or make one that works before I invest in it.

I'm having a little difficulty conecting to the Internet - maybe because I don't have a data plan. However, I never had any difficulty with my unlocked Treo 650 connect to the net without a data plan.

Tried to register my product on the Palm Canada website but it doesn't work.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with my purchase. I'm not sure where the PalmOS is going. I lost my Treo650 so I needed a new phone anyways. Would probably have been happy purchasing a T680 but wanted the ability to connect to the net fast - even if I don't need it now.

For me the Windows environment takes a while to get used to. I don't like it or dislike it. I think the Palm applications were great and for the few apps I've looked into they are rendered better on the Palm OS

Hoping to get my Tomtom 6 maps tranferred over to a miniSD card and then get it up and working on my T750. Yep, I lost my TT6 SD card with the preloaded maps.

Quote Originally Posted by djinn View Post
    You can pick up a Treo 750v in the GTA from these guys:

http://www.cellzunlocked.ca/index.php

I like 'em 'cos they list prices in CAD $s and include taxes for pickup orders.
    Did it come w/ a Voda brand or not? Was it brand new out of the box? Where is their pick-up location? Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhleong View Post
    Did it come w/ a Voda brand or not? Was it brand new out of the box? Where is their pick-up location? Thx!
    Vodaphone branded. Brand new in box (sealed). Picked up at Richmond Hill. I think they also offer downtown Toronto pickups.
    It looks like Rogers has its UTMS line up and running. I'm getting a signal on my phone and it looks faster than the GPRS speeds.

I don't have a data plan, so I'm limiting my use.
    Has anyone tried the Rogers MyMail client on the 750v?
    Next to the antenna in the menu bar do you see a G or a U? The U indicates UMTS otherwise you have an EDGE connection.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheusmd View Post
    It looks like Rogers has its UTMS line up and running. I'm getting a signal on my phone and it looks faster than the GPRS speeds.

I don't have a data plan, so I'm limiting my use.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Definitely a U. I'm picking it up in Thornhill and Newmarket Ontario. I knew Rogers was working to get there UMTS and that it was supposed to be ready by fall 2006. Now its here.
    Yep, been getting UMTS exclusively in Mississauga and downtown Toronto. I wish I had an HSDPA unit to test, but I am getting faster than EDGE speeds via plain vanilla UMTS:

I just got my 750 today, and I was wondering can anyone direct me to where I can find Pocket MSN. Another question, are any of your guys (canadians) using the Cingular ROM?

Thanks in advance.
    Hey djinn,
    Have you been finding poor battery life? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the UMTS. I lost my entire batter charge in one 12 hr day.

I'm going to Vancouver next week. I'm curious if this UMTS thing is a Toronto ON thing or if this is country wide.
    Last edited by morpheusmd; 11/02/2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
    If you use UMTS data a lot, then yes it will suck down the battery just like EVDO data on a CDMA phone. I tend to use it a lot including data and I have difficulty getting through a day on a charge. 3G plus a smaller battery will do that to you. I can't wait until it gets released in the U.S. so I can buy some darn extra batteries!

Also UMTS voice uses more power than GSM voice also (similar to CDMA). Read the Palm specs and you will see significantly different talk times for GSM and UMTS.
    Thanks bcaslis,
    Thats really helpful. Yeah, I was wondering where my batter went over 12 hrs. I think I'll disable the umts when I don't need it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I have one. It only gets EDGE but email and web seem quick. I just did a test and got 129KBS.

I have not used WiFi as I do not know which WiFi card will work with it.

I bought mine from CTI Miami www.cti-miami.com but I think they are out of stock. Shipping was $10.89 USD Handling, $9.95 USD and I paid UPS $5.19 CDN (Duties?)

The biggest issue for me is learning WM, at present I find the Palm interface much easier. Also, my eyesight is not great, so the screen resolution does affect me. I spent quite a bit of time playing with the font sizes so I can see them. I am also hard of hearing so thats an issue for me, i think the 650 had a louder ring.

I need to spend more time with WM, as others have stated. Now, if the 750 had the Palm OS, that would be awesome.
    what did your total come to?
    Am I accessing the UTMS line only when there is the double arrow sign? Or am I still depleting my battery when I see the UMTS signal without the double arrow sign?
    Without the double arrow there is no data transfer so you aren't using power that way. But UMTS voice drains faster than GSM voice. Palm's specs show GSM talk time of 4.5 hours and UMTS talk time of 2.5 hours so there is a difference. What I'm not sure of is what it does on standby. On CDMA phones, when there is a low signal, the battery drains faster because CDMA works harder to maintain the low level signal. I don't know if UMTS does the same thing or not, but UMTS from a technology perspective is closer to CDMA than GSM. So it might make a difference.
    Short of setting my band selection to GSM only in the Phone settings, can I prevent the UTMS signal from transferring data and depleting my battery? (ie, can I stop the double arrows with band selection set to UTMS).

Is UTMS voice quality and reception better than GSM?

I do text message a lot during the day so I guess it get by with GSM only. I guess what I'm wondering is if I need to stay on GSM most of the time and switch to UTMS for web surfing only.

(I'm not sure if my question makes sense).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast