Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    i've had had this 3 days now in chicago......and if you don't get the U (utms) ....your left with gprs speeds as sluggish as my full-memory old 650.
    chicago is portrayed as a 3G blanket...and in downtown you drift off that network at LEAST 50% of the time in which case you hover at 100ish kbps.
    My Tytn bottoms OUT at 400+kbps
    Don't know if I'll return this or just hold out for hacks or upgrades.
    Whatcha think?!
    I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and get mostly full UMTS coverage. I however don't in the basement of my house. In the Schaumburg area (my work), I get great coverage. I would keep it. It's by far the best Treo I have owned. I can live with the spotty coverage for a little bit. It's more Cingular then the Treo. The Treo has everything I want (even BT voice dialing!)
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    i've had had this 3 days now in chicago......and if you don't get the U (utms) ....your left with gprs speeds as sluggish as my full-memory old 650.
    chicago is portrayed as a 3G blanket...and in downtown you drift off that network at LEAST 50% of the time in which case you hover at 100ish kbps.
    Whatcha think?!
    I would suppose that your connection should be EDGE (if EDGE is available in your area). I understand that the hack for showing the "E" icon in the windows task bar does not work on UMTS devices.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I agree with above that I think this is a Cingular issue. I see the same thing, if it's a good UMTS signal then it's OK (not as fast as Verizon but tolerable), but without UMTS it's sloooow. If the UMTS signal is very low, then it's even worse because it trys, then takes a long time and switches back to EDGE and then goes slow.

The Cingular 3G coverage maps are a complete lie. It seems that once 3G is in the area, they just show the entire area as full 3G coverage which is completely untrue.

Whatcha think?!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Cingular user at California, average 100kbps speed test at dslreports.net/mspeed...And i don't think they have plan for 3G here anytime soon..so be grateful man..:P
    dslreports is often slower than the connection. The most accurate I've seen so far is infospeed.verizon.net.
    I am averaging 800 kbits/s in Baton Rouge, LA on my TyTn...have peaks up to 1500
    Attached Images Attached Images
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    That's what HSDPA will get you, UMTS will top out a little short of 400kbits/sec usually.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
    I am averaging 800 kbits/s in Baton Rouge, LA on my TyTn...have peaks up to 1500
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I'm entrenched in the buildings here in chicago loop but still.
    A large work site i need to go on the run could be completely downloaded by my 700p in 30-40 sec (Tytn in 15 sec)...the 750 (w/'G' and 3bars) took well over 1 min...damn!!
    Btw..intrasytem speeds are excelllent though app to app etc)
    SO.I'm assuming cingular will have it corrected on their 750's and ahack/upgrade will be available.
    And another thing!:
    Seeking and shifting frequencies all day obviously takes it's toll on the battery as mine is shot by 5ish.
    that's all.
    I'm entrenched in the buildings here in chicago loop but still.
    A large work site i need to go on the run could be completely downloaded by my 700p in 30-40 sec (Tytn in 15 sec)...the 750 (w/'G' and 3bars) took well over 1 min...damn!!
    Btw..intrasytem speeds are excelllent though app to app etc)
    SO.I'm assuming cingular will have it corrected on their 750's and ahack/upgrade will be available.
    And another thing!:
    Seeking and shifting frequencies all day obviously takes it's toll on the battery as mine is shot by 5ish.
    that's all.
    I wouldn't blame the Treo. If anything blame Cingular's snail-pace implementation of UMTS-HSDPA.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by dliao View Post
    Cingular user at California, average 100kbps speed test at dslreports.net/mspeed...And i don't think they have plan for 3G here anytime soon..so be grateful man..:P
    The bay area, parts of the central valley, and San Diego have 3G. They bay area has had it for over a year. But the LA Area has nothin'.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    The bay area, parts of the central valley, and San Diego have 3G. They bay area has had it for over a year. But the LA Area has nothin'.

The bay area and san diego have 3g right now because, before AT&T was purchased by Cingular, they had 3g running in those areas.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno View Post
    The bay area and san diego have 3g right now because, before AT&T was purchased by Cingular, they had 3g running in those areas.
    Indeed. All Cingular did was upgrade it to HSDPA and add more towers to fill in some blank spots. It's kind of frustrating that in the bay erea, UMTS has been here for over 3 years, yet I still can't use it on a PDA/Phone.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G