1.    #1  
    I am planning on selling mine. I just don't want anyone to be able to read my data.
    Do a HARD RESET.

Hold the power button down while depressing the softreset button on the back of the device. Release the power button only when you see the Treo logo appear. Then press UP on the dial pad as instructed to erase all data.
    Just to let you know if you want to sell it you should do the ##RTN# reset also.. Because that will delete the phone configuration also.
    ##786# -> Menu -> Reset -> Enter MSL

^
    That's how you zero out. Also erases all of your settings (phone number, vision login, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    Do a HARD RESET.

Hold the power button down while depressing the softreset button on the back of the device. Release the power button only when you see the Treo logo appear. Then press UP on the dial pad as instructed to erase all data.
    A hard reset doesn't erase the device.

Used Cellphones Hold Trove of Secrets That Can Be Hard to Erase
    By Ellen Nakashima
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, October 21, 2006; Page A01
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102001647.html

I am very glad I purchased remoteProtect (http://www.scpsoft.com) which allows remote wiping of the device and card. This article must have been a bad omen because my Treo was stolen on Saturday. Luckilly I remote wiped the device and card within 15 minutes when I knew it wasn't going to be returned.
    ...also am very glad I opted for the insurance and filing the claim was relatively painless.
    I'm not seeing any indication that "Remote Protect" does anything other than hard reset the device.

Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post
    I'm not seeing any indication that "Remote Protect" does anything other than hard reset the device.

Am I missing something?
    That's correct, but at this time it's the best/only option available and it also wipes the card.
    If you have the device, a zero out reset is the only way to fully clear it. If you don't have the device a remote hard reset is better than nothing.