Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    when testing EVDO devices I have always used www.dslreports.com/mspeed It seems to deliver relatively reliable and repeatable results.
    DSL Reports is sometimes fine, but often the site is bogged down so it reports a slower speed than the connection really is.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    when testing EVDO devices I have always used www.dslreports.com/mspeed It seems to deliver relatively reliable and repeatable results.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    DSLreports gives me 315 Kbit/sec.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    I get 129kbs up here in Canada and I am with Rogers. Does that make a difference? I thought I was getting UMTS, but maybe not. I get either a G or a G with 2 stars on the bottom. Any idea what this means?
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    G means GSM (EDGE). You don't have UMTS unless you show a U. I don't know what you mean by G with 2 stars. When it's connected to data (either G or U) there are two arrows, one directly under the letter and another to the right of the letter. Maybe that's what you mean?

Either way you are not getting UMTS.
    Yes, that is correct, darn, I was hoping that it was available here. I am told that Rogers will have HSPDA at some point next year here.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    G means GSM (EDGE). You don't have UMTS unless you show a U. I don't know what you mean by G with 2 stars. When it's connected to data (either G or U) there are two arrows, one directly under the letter and another to the right of the letter. Maybe that's what you mean?

Either way you are not getting UMTS.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    ...clip...
    Plus, I can't imagine Cingular releasing a device that was not able to fully take advantage of HSDPA.
    Why not, They release other devices that can't use HSDPA.
    I think it's more of the 3G Rollout.
    The 8525 is Ready for HSDPA, and they aren't releasing it either.
    So far, as I know, Cing has only one 3G phone available.
    I think they're thinking; 'if we release a bunch of HSDPA devices, when the bigger majority of the Network still won't support it (Updated Towers), we (cing) are going to get flooded with calls, people complaing that the 3G map says they should have 3G (UMTS), and yet they don't.'

Just an opinion, nothing more.
    Just call me Berd.
    Over on XDA someone is stating that the Treo will be released with only UTMS support not HSPDA and it was a Palm decision. Apparently Cingy and Voda are waiting for a rom update from Palm to enable HSPDA and that is due out in March 2007
    Like I said over at Hofo;
    If cing doesn't release either the 8525 or the 750 by the 26th,
    I will go buy the 750v.

Edit: I'm now giving them until Nov 1st.
    I'll be too busy to play with a new toy before then.
    Just call me Berd.
    Do your speed tests with 2wire. They're very reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Why not, They release other devices that can't use HSDPA.
    I think it's more of the 3G Rollout.
    The 8525 is Ready for HSDPA, and they aren't releasing it either.
    So far, as I know, Cing has only one 3G phone available.
    I think they're thinking; 'if we release a bunch of HSDPA devices, when the bigger majority of the Network still won't support it (Updated Towers), we (cing) are going to get flooded with calls, people complaing that the 3G map says they should have 3G (UMTS), and yet they don't.'

Just an opinion, nothing more.
    Very true on all accounts. I was kinda thinking that the 750v would be part of that "3G rollout" that would include the 8525 first then the 750.

Accoring to Engaget and other sites, the 8525 is real close. As far as Cingular's snail pace at it's HSDPA rollout that's a different question altogether.

Overall I am happy with Cingular but this rollout is dragging on at a snails pace. When I last spoke to a rep at a local store, she told me that Cingular was trying to clear out the old At&T towers for use of 3G but were having problems. I didn't know if that meant converting old legacy AT&T blue customers (like myself) over to Cingular Orange.

Regardless, like I said I am not so sure that an official Cingular 750 would not include HSDPA unless Palm can't get the update out in time. If that is the case, I hope that Cingular just chooses to wait until Palm offers the update.
    Last edited by JGold; 10/24/2006 at 06:24 PM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Everytime I tried them, the speeds were wildly optimistic. I personally don' trust their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Do your speed tests with 2wire. They're very reliable.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Anyone have trouble with Activesync after flashing to Cingular ROM? Seems my PC will not recognize my 750. Maybe a different driver?

PS
    Do not flash your device in my opinion. Audio is much lower now during calls and the 750 is NO faster.

Thanks.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Anyone have trouble with Activesync after flashing to Cingular ROM? Seems my PC will not recognize my 750. Maybe a different driver?

PS
    Do not flash your device in my opinion. Audio is much lower now during calls and the 750 is NO faster.

Thanks.

Joe
    I've flashed with the Cingular ROM and have experienced no problems with ActiveSync or other features.

It did take care of the annoying roaming issue, so that was a big plus in my books.

As for the lower audio, I've noticed no such problems but then again, I'd only had my 750v for a week before I flashed with the new ROM so may not have noticed it.
    I don't think the 2 are related, but before I installed the Cingular ROM, I could only sync using Bluetooth. USB would not work.

Now both work.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    I've synched many times with both USB and bluetooth with the Vodaphone ROM so it does work.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Well these last few posts sort of clears things up a bit! NOT

I was able to sync fine prior to the Cingular flash. I never use Bluetooth though.

Guess Iíll have to try another PC and Iíll be screwed if it does not work.

Take care.

Joe
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Tried 750 on my home PC and all is fine. I guess something happened to the sync cable at the office.

Thanks.

Joe
    You can always try www.dslreports.com/mspeed
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12