Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    anyone using a 750v on cingular seeing roaming behavior on the today screen?

i looked through this first page on the forum, and saw the post below regarding the network select being SIM specific, but i'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or if this will be a deal breaker for me and this thing goes back on ebay....

i'm not sure if its displaying the "roaming" message and not actually dropping connection, or if its really dropping. i have goodlink up and running, and it seems ok so far...

i've tweaked the band selection settings to the appropriate bands, doesn't seem to help. i also went and manually unlocked the phone just to be sure from IMEI-check.co.uk, but the phone still displays roaming intermittently.

luckily, i also received an htc excalibur, which is a sweet little device, although i know, its not pocket pc, but smartphone, so no touch screen. but man is it small, and i have to say i prefer the keyboard and build.
    I haven't seen any roaming at all. I suppose you could be in an area of low signal, where have you seen this?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by theevaluator View Post
    anyone using a 750v on cingular seeing roaming behavior on the today screen?

i looked through this first page on the forum, and saw the post below regarding the network select being SIM specific, but i'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or if this will be a deal breaker for me and this thing goes back on ebay....

i'm not sure if its displaying the "roaming" message and not actually dropping connection, or if its really dropping. i have goodlink up and running, and it seems ok so far...

i've tweaked the band selection settings to the appropriate bands, doesn't seem to help. i also went and manually unlocked the phone just to be sure from IMEI-check.co.uk, but the phone still displays roaming intermittently.

luckily, i also received an htc excalibur, which is a sweet little device, although i know, its not pocket pc, but smartphone, so no touch screen. but man is it small, and i have to say i prefer the keyboard and build.
    What version of GL do you have? When I install GL (version 4.7.0.25), it works OK until a reboot then it just reboots to a white screen with gray bar and becomes unresponsive. Have to do a hard reset to restore.
    I got my 750v yesterday and when I put in the Cingular SIM, it kept switching from Roaming to Cingular. Everything worked fine and I never saw the triangle but it just kept switching constantly.

I reset my device and it's been fine ever since. I didn't tweak anything on the device.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I haven't seen any roaming at all. I suppose you could be in an area of low signal, where have you seen this?
    i'm in an area where my other 4 phones all receive a strong signal, and in fact, the 750 displays 3-4 bars, so it has nothing to do with signal strength.

i've called level 2 tech support for cingular this morning, and they're going to do some OTA provisioning, basically deleting my SIM off the switch, and then add me back in.

i also havent left my house, which means i haven't switched cells yet, so that might do something.

i also noticed that goodlink dropped its connection overnight, which is annoying, so it appears that the data connection was broken as well, although this could be a seperate issue with good.
    I have not seen any roaming either. I am in a pretty strong signal area for Cingular.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I'm also in that roaming mode...tried resetting the device but 'tis of no help.

Can't use BB Connect on BIS either, but am researching an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkay View Post

If you figure out how to get BB Connect to work on Cingular, post it. I have everything provisioned and received my IT Policy file from the BES. However, I can't seemed to get BB Connect registered on the Cingular network for Blackberry services.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    If you figure out how to get BB Connect to work on Cingular, post it. I have everything provisioned and received my IT Policy file from the BES. However, I can't seemed to get BB Connect registered on the Cingular network for Blackberry services.
    If I figure it out, I definitely will share it.

I did discover a couple of weird behaviors: I installed the BB Connect and while it did have a PIN and IMEI, the PIN was invalid on Cingular's portal on RIM so wonder if these need to be registered with RIM to be effective.

Secondly, with the BB Connect installed, albeit not working, I could not use the regular gateway to check my POP3 inbox. Once I uninstalled the BB Connect, the connection worked again and was able to check e-mail remotely.

Also, configured the 750v for WAP.CINGULAR gateway and it seems to work fine.
    Trying hard reset 3 times already and the roaming is not going away. If anyone have a solution please post.
  11.    #11  

yeah, i spent some time with cingular level two support, and they re-registered the device a couple of times, so no luck there.

looks like this thing might be back on ebay this weekend, and i'll wait for cingular to drop their version in a few weeks.

let me know if you figure it out, it seems to drain the battery as well, which really blows.

this should warn off potential buyers. im with cingular in california, and this phone was purchased from 1387, an extremely reliable re-seller on ebay. it's an unlocked vodaphone model that shipped from hong kong...
    This is why I just asked a question in another thread. There is another seller, Import GSM, who sells on eBay and on their own website, who is offering to setup the 750v's that they are selling(Unlocked) to work with Cingular Data, SMS and MMS for an extra $20. I was questioning whether it would be worth it or just a nuisance fee, and after reading this thread, I can clearly see that if I am going to pay $760, I might as well drop an extra $20 to have it setup for Cingular.

I am still reluctant to pull the trigger though, and may wait a few more days to see the feedback from the latest bunch of 750v's that have been ordered and are being setup by their respective owners over the weekend. It just KILLS me to wait though!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    If it makes a difference to anyone... mine came from Phonesource in Nevada and I was getting the constant switching from Cingular to Roaming. I ported a number over from T-Mobile and got a new SIM. I ported the number around 5pm and at around 9pm I did the reset that made the switching go away. It hasn't come back since.
    Personally I think this would be silly. I put in my sim card, voice worked, the connections settings saw the Cingular data setup from my sim, and I left messaging on auto. Everything worked, no configuration necessary. I'm really confused by those who are having setup problems, mine just seemed to read the data in and worked.

Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    This is why I just asked a question in another thread. There is another seller, Import GSM, who sells on eBay and on their own website, who is offering to setup the 750v's that they are selling(Unlocked) to work with Cingular Data, SMS and MMS for an extra $20. I was questioning whether it would be worth it or just a nuisance fee, and after reading this thread, I can clearly see that if I am going to pay $760, I might as well drop an extra $20 to have it setup for Cingular.

I am still reluctant to pull the trigger though, and may wait a few more days to see the feedback from the latest bunch of 750v's that have been ordered and are being setup by their respective owners over the weekend. It just KILLS me to wait though!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Personally I think this would be silly. I put in my sim card, voice worked, the connections settings saw the Cingular data setup from my sim, and I left messaging on auto. Everything worked, no configuration necessary. I'm really confused by those who are having setup problems, mine just seemed to read the data in and worked.
    Can you please put the details of your connection that was read automatically from your SIM?

I have an old AT&T SIM that I've continued using in my BB 8700c and that's the one I'm putting into the 750v. However, the default data setup is for the AT&T proxy and it doesn't seem to work. Thanks.
    Last edited by Arkay; 10/21/2006 at 09:14 AM.
    my treo 650 used to do something similar (where the phone app would show cingular but zlancher will indicate roaming quite frequently), so i wasn't really worried about the switching cingular/roaming on my new treo 750v.

so you guys are saying that re-provisioning and hard rest (factory def) won't fix it?
    anything else?

i'm not sure how big of a deal it is, my phone is working (all settings were set auto to cingular when i first powered it on) and data is working fine.

let us know if you find a solution.

tnx
    Ix
    I should be more explicit about the data woes on my 750v:

I use it in metro NY and NJ and have tried both the wap.cingular and isp.cingular setups. I am having trouble using the direct e-mail access since the BB Connect is not working.

Overall I like the device, the form factor is great and I like the functionalities of the PocketPC as it's been a very long time since I've tried it on an old HP device that was only a PDA. I like how tightly it syncs with Outlook data so I'd really like to make it work if I can get over these hurdles on the data network and BB Connect.

Otherwise, I'd consider buying the Cingular version when it comes out - or maybe when Cingular introduces their version, I'll find the right S/W to support this unlocked 750v?
    Here are two PDFs I made from the Cingular website for the ISP setting and the MediaNet setting. My are exactly like these. The ISP selecting lets you do internet & email, but not get to the MediaNet web pages. The MediaNet setting lets you do internet and get to the MediaNet webpages but you can't connect to email with it.

Can you please put the details of your connection that was read automatically from your SIM?

I have an old AT&T SIM that I've continued using in my BB 8700c and that's the one I'm putting into the 750v. However, the default data setup is for the AT&T proxy and it doesn't seem to work. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab1970 View Post
    my treo 650 used to do something similar (where the phone app would show cingular but zlancher will indicate roaming quite frequently), so i wasn't really worried about the switching cingular/roaming on my new treo 750v.

so you guys are saying that re-provisioning and hard rest (factory def) won't fix it?
    anything else?

i'm not sure how big of a deal it is, my phone is working (all settings were set auto to cingular when i first powered it on) and data is working fine.

let us know if you find a solution.

tnx
    Ix
    well, it looks like a hard reset today fixed the problem, but keep in mind that i mentioned in earlier posts i spent some time on the phone with cingular level 2 tech support, and they removed my sim from the network and then re-added, and also sent some OTA re-provisioning info to the phone.

it looks like this in combination with the hard reset fixed the problem. i suspect that some people are not performing hard resets, but only soft ones.

remember, hit the reset button while holding down the red end key.

anyways, no roaming right now.
    theevaluator,

When you called Cingular's support, did you tell them you have a Treo 750v?
    I called and asked them to remove+add my SIM card and they asked me to power off/on, but it is still roaming.
    Do you know exactly what they did with your account?

Thanks,
    IX.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast