Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so here is the situation:
    My wife also uses a Treo 700w. She has data turned off and does not use email, internet etc. at all.

She just uses the SMS, calender, contacts & phone. So we have not even sync'd it with a computer (No need to - right!?) Just used it right out of the box.

The phone has really been acting up recently and the only solution at this point is a hard reset. I've tried everything.

So my question is this: How can i do a hard reset on this phone but not lose the contacts, calender items etc?? Since she cant just wirelessly sync w/ an exchange server or with an actual computer like me - is there a way??

I'm open to any ideas!
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    How about Sprite backup? It's free from Palm. Check out the website.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Ok so here is the situation:
    My wife also uses a Treo 700w. She has data turned off and does not use email, internet etc. at all.

She just uses the SMS, calender, contacts & phone. So we have not even sync'd it with a computer (No need to - right!?) Just used it right out of the box.

The phone has really been acting up recently and the only solution at this point is a hard reset. I've tried everything.

So my question is this: How can i do a hard reset on this phone but not lose the contacts, calender items etc?? Since she cant just wirelessly sync w/ an exchange server or with an actual computer like me - is there a way??

I'm open to any ideas!
    Thanks
    You can sync two wm5 devices to the same cpu so why not...don't want contacts and schedules mixed up? You could each sync to a separate contacts and schedule folder in outlook w/ a third party software solution like that from Chapura.
  4.    #4  
    Sprite Backup.. Wouldnt that mean i would have to either:
    A) Be sync'd with a computer/Activesync
    B) Have internet to download it directly to the phone?

I told this would be tricky!

The only solution may be to sync it with the computer.. And download Sprite Backup. But how would that work? She doesnt have a memory card so how would it save the data after a hard reset?

Please explain..
  5.    #5  
    You can sync two wm5 devices to the same cpu so why not...don't want contacts and schedules mixed up? You could each sync to a separate contacts and schedule folder in outlook w/ a third party software solution like that from Chapura.
    Geez - that sounds pretty complicated. If i just sync'd it with our computer at home (not the computer i am sync'd with) would this work?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Why not just sync it with the computer?
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    Sprite Backup.. Wouldnt that mean i would have to either:
    A) Be sync'd with a computer/Activesync
    B) Have internet to download it directly to the phone?

I told this would be tricky!

The only solution may be to sync it with the computer.. And download Sprite Backup. But how would that work? She doesnt have a memory card so how would it save the data after a hard reset?

Please explain..
    If you download the zip file, there is a cab file in it that you could e-mail to your wife but I see you said no e-mail.

You can connect her phone to your computer and when the Synchronization Setup Wizard appears you can just cancel out of it. I do this with my phone and PC since I use direct push. That way you don't establish a relationship between the PC and Treo. You can still install programs so you could install Sprite. You can also then back up to your PC since you don't have a memory card. I think this will work even if you sync to the same computer.

If I were you, I would get her a memory card. They are very inexpensive and it would give her peace of mind to be able to back up her phone more often.

Greg
  8.    #8  
    If you download the zip file, there is a cab file in it that you could e-mail to your wife but I see you said no e-mail.

You can connect her phone to your computer and when the Synchronization Setup Wizard appears you can just cancel out of it. I do this with my phone and PC since I use direct push. That way you don't establish a relationship between the PC and Treo. You can still install programs so you could install Sprite. You can also then back up to your PC since you don't have a memory card. I think this will work even if you sync to the same computer.
    So let's say i just establish a relationship btw the Treo & Computer. Is there a way to do a backup without Sprite? Or would i still have to download it?
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    You would still need Sprite or some other backup. Sprite is free and works so I would use it.

Greg
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    You can search for a program called "WM5 storage". If you can figure out a way to get this onto a storage card (FFS just go and buy her one, they're not expensive). This program, when installed, will allow you to switch the treo to a regular USB mass storage device, to the storage card will show up just like a USB flash drive on any desktoip computer. Doing this will then allow you to transfer the sprite-backup program cab file onto the storage card, and install it on the treo. Then you just backup using sprite, onto the card.

Of course, how you get WM5 storage onto the card in the first place is a dilemma. Maybe just have her set up a hotmail account, sync to that from the treo (just allow data transmission/reception for a day or so, it's not a big file so can't be that expensive). Then e-mail, get it onto the treo and delete the hotmail account and cancel the data mode.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Ok how about this... assuming you do have internet on your device. Get the Sprite CAB, beam it to your wife's device.

Backup her system and have Sprite save the backup file on the device's storage. Beam the file from your wife's device to yours. Hard reset and then beam backup file again.

Execute... done!

I haven't done much beaming so I don't know big files can be beamed. But if you only want to back the contacts and calendar it shouldn't be too bad.
  12.    #12  
    Ok how about this... assuming you do have internet on your device. Get the Sprite CAB, beam it to your wife's device.

Backup her system and have Sprite save the backup file on the device's storage. Beam the file from your wife's device to yours. Hard reset and then beam backup file again.

Execute... done!
    VERY interesting! I wonder if this would work?!
    This worked when I had the 6700 so I don't see why it wouldn't for the Treo 700. On the root of the device, there is a PIM.VOL file. This file store your contacts and calendar appts. It might store other things too but I'm not sure what they are. What I did was copy that file to the storage card, hard reset, and place the VOL file back to the root of the device. I'm not sure about SMS though.

You may want to do a Sprite backup first just in case though.
  14.    #14  
    there is a PIM.VOL file
    How do i get to this? i could put my storage card in her device and copy to it..
    If you don't have a 3rd party file explorer, you can use the built in one. Just browse to My Device folder and your should see a PIM file. the .VOL extension is not shown as the builtin file explorer doesn't have that option.
    Last edited by hamsup1o; 10/19/2006 at 01:31 PM.
  16.    #16  
    On the root of the device, there is a PIM.VOL file. This file store your contacts and calendar appts. It might store other things too but I'm not sure what they are. What I did was copy that file to the storage card, hard reset, and place the VOL file back to the root of the device.
    So i followed these instructions exactly - I put my storage card in my wife's phone, copied the PIM file to my card and reset her phone. So when the hard reset was finished, i put the storage card back into her phone, and tried to place the PIM file back to her phone.. But it wouldnt let me!! It said the file was "copy protected" or something like that..
    Her device wont even let me delete the PIM file to replace with the one on the storage card!

PLEASE HELP!!! My wife is PISSED that i lost all of her contacts!!!!

I do still have her original PIM file on my storage card..
    Download a 3rd party file explorer like Resco Explorer or Total Commander (freeware). I don't think the builtin one lets you overwrite it.
  18.    #18  
    Download a 3rd party file explorer like Resco Explorer or Total Commander (freeware). I don't think the builtin one lets you overwrite it.
    Thanks for your reply! Hopefully i wont be in the doghouse now!!

This program: http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/explorer/default.asp

Its only a 14 day trial but it should work right?
    Yeah, the trial is fully functional or you can also try Total Commander which is free and works pretty much the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsup1o View Post
    Yeah, the trial is fully functional or you can also try Total Commander which is free and works pretty much the same.
    What's the link to latest version of Total Commander? Thanks!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast