Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 150
  1. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    in portrait?
    The .cab file loads a different user interface onto the PPC6700 than what is found on the treo. it has a button on the screen that will make the picture full screen. I will try to take some screen shoyts when i see my bro tonight.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty2000 View Post
    Any idea of when Sling will roll out software for the Palm OS?
    I'd like to know too.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  3. #123  
    OK, just got done with a chat session with Sling Support:

    [4:47 PM] Examining network configuration...
    [4:47 PM] Connecting to Rescue Gateway: asterisk.app16.logmeinrescue.com...
    [4:47 PM] Connected to Rescue Gateway.
    [4:47 PM] Chat session established with DJ.

    [4:47 PM] DJ says: Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support. My name is DJ. How may I assist you today?

    [4:48 PM] Dave says: Hopeing you can tell me when the Palm OS client wll be released?
    [4:48 PM] DJ says: I am not sure on that one. You can check the Sling Community Forum and the News section of the website and you should be able to find updates on that.
    [4:49 PM] Dave says: Even a beta version would be nice. If you would be so kind as to let the floor supervisor there know that you have recieved some interest in a Palm OS client, I would greatly appriciate it.
    [4:49 PM] Dave says: Thanks for your time and assistance.
    [4:50 PM] DJ says: The Development Team is working on a Palm version, but we don't have any information here on it in Technical Support.
    [4:50 PM] Dave says: Good to know it is being worked on.
    [4:50 PM] DJ says: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
    [4:50 PM] Dave says: Nope, you have been very kind and helpful. Have a great day.
    So, that sounds encouraging.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  4. #124  
    i just got a treo 700wx and one of the first things i did was get the slingbox mobile.... i was not disappointed. its great.

    question though... i turned on stats and saw its about 200 kbps

    so a little math:
    200 kbps / 8 bits in a Byte = 25 KBps
    25 KBps * 60 seconds = 1,500 KBps or about 1.5 MB for every minute
    1.5 MB * 30 minutes of tv = 45 MB for a 30 minute show
    1 GB = 1000 MB / 45 = 22.22 30 minute shows per GB

    so basically you can watch about 11 hours of tv for every 1 GB you download.

    does anyone know what sprints monthly limit on bandwidth is before they scold you?

    not that i think i'll go near the limit, but it would be nice to know...
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahooka View Post
    i just got a treo 700wx and one of the first things i did was get the slingbox mobile.... i was not disappointed. its great.

    question though... i turned on stats and saw its about 200 kbps

    so a little math:
    200 kbps / 8 bits in a Byte = 25 KBps
    25 KBps * 60 seconds = 1,500 KBps or about 1.5 MB for every minute
    1.5 MB * 30 minutes of tv = 45 MB for a 30 minute show
    1 GB = 1000 MB / 45 = 22.22 30 minute shows per GB

    so basically you can watch about 11 hours of tv for every 1 GB you download.

    does anyone know what sprints monthly limit on bandwidth is before they scold you?

    not that i think i'll go near the limit, but it would be nice to know...
    I 'm confused. I guess I thought the 200 kbps was already in kiloBYTES per second not kilobits. Hence no need to divide by 8.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  6. #126  
    Anyone here used the SlingLink?:

    http://us.slingmedia.com/page/slinglink.html

    Seems to eliminate the need for a wireless connection for those that cant get a good signal or run a cable.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    I 'm confused. I guess I thought the 200 kbps was already in kiloBYTES per second not kilobits. Hence no need to divide by 8.
    200kbps is 200 kilobits per second. It would be pretty hard to watch a 200 kilobyte/second broadcast on your 300-700 kilobit/second EVDO network.
  8. #128  
    yup kupe is right.

    little thing to note...

    Kb = kilobits (notice the lowercase b)
    KB = kilobytes (notice the uppercase B)

    8 bits = 1 Byte

    this is often confusing to people since usually internet speeds are sold in Kb.... to sound bigger. it's a marketing thing

    so for example if comcast is selling
    5Mb download speeds... which 5 Mb = 5000 Kb
    thats really:
    5000 Kb / 8 bits in a byte = 625 KBps download speed

    usually firefox, internet explorer and most downloading programs will usually convert to KB for you when they display a speed, since its easier to judge the speed based on that and not Kb.

    hope you enjoyed the lesson
  9. zebroid's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #129  
    I tried to set up the slingplayer on my 700W, and it installed alright. When i try to view it though, i get an error that says it cannot connect to the Slingbox Finder Service or the Finder ID is invalid. I have checked and quadruple checked the finder id i put in, and that's not the problem. I have no problem viewing my slingbox from my laptop or my desktop at work, but the treo just won't connect.

    Anyone else have to get through such an issue? any advice?

    Thanks.


    And, wow...so many buckeye fans!

    Go Bucks!
  10. #130  
    Make sure the password is correct.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by zebroid View Post
    I tried to set up the slingplayer on my 700W, and it installed alright. When i try to view it though, i get an error that says it cannot connect to the Slingbox Finder Service or the Finder ID is invalid. I have checked and quadruple checked the finder id i put in, and that's not the problem. I have no problem viewing my slingbox from my laptop or my desktop at work, but the treo just won't connect.

    Anyone else have to get through such an issue? any advice?

    Thanks.


    And, wow...so many buckeye fans!

    Go Bucks!
    Yeah, make sure you don't have your admin password in, or have "Login as Admin" checked if you are using your standard password. That got me for awhile.

    Go Bucks, baby!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

    Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahooka View Post
    yup kupe is right.

    little thing to note...

    Kb = kilobits (notice the lowercase b)
    KB = kilobytes (notice the uppercase B)

    8 bits = 1 Byte

    this is often confusing to people since usually internet speeds are sold in Kb.... to sound bigger. it's a marketing thing

    so for example if comcast is selling
    5Mb download speeds... which 5 Mb = 5000 Kb
    thats really:
    5000 Kb / 8 bits in a byte = 625 KBps download speed

    usually firefox, internet explorer and most downloading programs will usually convert to KB for you when they display a speed, since its easier to judge the speed based on that and not Kb.

    hope you enjoyed the lesson

    Actually, I appreciate it Wahooka. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on such things, but this slipped right by me.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  13. #133  
    Where do you go to download/purchase this program?
  14. zebroid's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhammond_man View Post
    Where do you go to download/purchase this program?
    http://us.slingmedia.com/page/spm-ppc_compat.html
  15. #135  
    Thanks!
  16. #136  
    Has anyone tried the 1.1 beta mobile software? Is it better on a Treo than the 1.0?
  17. #137  
    It's a bit more stable, but nothing majorly different.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein View Post
    Has anyone tried the 1.1 beta mobile software? Is it better on a Treo than the 1.0?
    I would say the 1.1 seems somewhat more stable, IMHO.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  19. #139  
    I just got EVDO in my area however it seems a bit slow.

    What speeds do you think you need to have to use thw slingbox effectively?
  20. #140  
    the upload speed on you internet connection where you have the slingbox plays a very big roll as well... i had a 256k upload at home and the quality really sucked- but i upgraded my home internet to 15Mbit/1Mbit and it's a heck of a lot better now and the bottleneck is now definitely the EVDO... the best part is my cable company had technical difficulties upgrading me to their middle tier service so they got me the highest tier service for the same cost...

    for the objective answer... i tend to have good results when the speeds are in the 300-400 kbits range and up. make sure you turn on the show statistics to see the FPS and data rates in the corner of the screen.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions