Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmargolis View Post
    After reading all of this, I went out and purchased a Slingbox Pro. It's quite a novelty, but the quality on the Treo or on my laptop is just not acceptable, to me. I guess it's pretty neat being able to control my cable box from my phone, but how practical is that...really. The screen on the Treo is just too small to really be able to watch TV well and the picture quality on my laptop at full screen is judt not good enough.

I'll be returning it in the next few days.

Don't want to rain on the parade, just my .02
    Practical? I can sign on and record a show that I just realized I am going to miss, and it took me 30 seconds. From another state. Not flaming you at all, but there are plenty of reasons why this program comes in handy.

I can honestly say, after using this device since it was released, and after referring dozens of people to it, and all the forums, etc. this is the first time I have heard of someone that doesn't like it. Your PQ must be real bad!
    The screen on the Treo is just too small to really be able to watch TV well and the picture quality on my laptop at full screen is judt not good enough.
    Your laptop screen must be pretty bad. It shows great on mine. I rarely sit and watch a program on my Treo. I mainly use it to listen to CNN/MSNBC/local news and/or control my DVR when remote.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Practical? I can sign on and record a show that I just realized I am going to miss, and it took me 30 seconds. From another state. Not flaming you at all, but there are plenty of reasons why this program comes in handy.

I can honestly say, after using this device since it was released, and after referring dozens of people to it, and all the forums, etc. this is the first time I have heard of someone that doesn't like it. Your PQ must be real bad!
    I do appreciate the ability of being able to jump on and record a show from anywhere in the country. The problem for me is that the Treo screen is so small that it's difficult (not impossible) to read the Comcast guide that comes up. Given that difficulty, and the poor picture quality combined with my perceived need for it, I can't see keeping it for 200+ dollars.

As for the PQ on my laptop, I don't know what to say except that PQ is subjective. I have a high end Dell laptop as well as a very expensive LCD monitor and the PQ is poor in my opinion on everything. Maybe wneh the HD cable comes out, that will make it better, but I don't think I can wait that long on my 30 day trial period with Best Buy.
    Thanks! I just ordered the Pro. I don't anticipate watching it on my Treo (can't anyway, i have a 650), but at least I won't be bored to death in my hotel room in Beijing, or Paris, or Istambul.... Most times the only English channel available is CNN so I get to watch the same news over and over and over
    I've sent in some suggestions to SlingMedia on how to implement the fullscreen on the Treo's once they get around to it. That should make reading the program guide a lot easier. I use the mobile slingplayer all the time to set up my dvr to record shows. I guess I'm unlike others and actually watch shows on my treo when I'm not around a tv or a computer. It seems fine to me although I'd like the fullscreen feature.
    I do appreciate the ability of being able to jump on and record a show from anywhere in the country. The problem for me is that the Treo screen is so small that it's difficult (not impossible) to read the Comcast guide that comes up. Given that difficulty, and the poor picture quality combined with my perceived need for it, I can't see keeping it for 200+ dollars.

As for the PQ on my laptop, I don't know what to say except that PQ is subjective. I have a high end Dell laptop as well as a very expensive LCD monitor and the PQ is poor in my opinion on everything. Maybe wneh the HD cable comes out, that will make it better, but I don't think I can wait that long on my 30 day trial period with Best Buy.
    Don't get me wrong, I do love my Pro. BUT...the Pro is supposed to have 300-400% improved picture quality over the original Slingbox. I sit in my living room directly across from my Linksys 54g router and I only get 3000 kbps down and the PQ is passable. On full screen it is slightly grainy but still good and I can get a pretty big window and still have it look good. If this is 300-400% better than the original I would have returned the original the next day.

On my Treo I have found I need MINIMUM 200kbps down to get passable PQ. The screen is so small and low res that you can't have too high of expectations. Trust me when I have the game on when I'm stuck somewhere I have a bunch of people around who are pretty impressed with it.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I do love my Pro. BUT...the Pro is supposed to have 300-400% improved picture quality over the original Slingbox. I sit in my living room directly across from my Linksys 54g router and I only get 3000 kbps down and the PQ is passable. On full screen it is slightly grainy but still good and I can get a pretty big window and still have it look good. If this is 300-400% better than the original I would have returned the original the next day.

On my Treo I have found I need MINIMUM 200kbps down to get passable PQ. The screen is so small and low res that you can't have too high of expectations. Trust me when I have the game on when I'm stuck somewhere I have a bunch of people around who are pretty impressed with it.
    That's probably most of my problem here. I could live with the laptop quality, but on my Treo, I get NO or 1 bar of signal. When I check the signal strength using voice command, it tells me 30%. It's good enough for phone calls and some data, but not much more than that. Other area's away from home get MUCH better signal strength. I'll be in Vegas in a week, so I'll play with it from there before making a final decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    Thanks! I just ordered the Pro. I don't anticipate watching it on my Treo (can't anyway, i have a 650), but at least I won't be bored to death in my hotel room in Beijing, or Paris, or Istambul.... Most times the only English channel available is CNN so I get to watch the same news over and over and over
    I hear ya, Schwartz. That was my primary motivator - travelling and sitting in airports. I get really tired working enroute and I like watching my own channels when in a hotel.
    If this is 300-400% better than the original I would have returned the original the next day.
    You might have done that.

However, most of us experience significant improvements (don't know if 400%) because of software and firmware improvements from the original release.
    That's probably most of my problem here. I could live with the laptop quality, but on my Treo, I get NO or 1 bar of signal. When I check the signal strength using voice command, it tells me 30%. It's good enough for phone calls and some data, but not much more than that. Other area's away from home get MUCH better signal strength. I'll be in Vegas in a week, so I'll play with it from there before making a final decision.
    My Sling rocks using WiFi on the laptop or with the card in the Treo. Using a Sprint signal (even EvDo) it sucks. I'm sitting here right now with NO bars, EVDO displayed in connection, hit the voice command....she says, "your signal strength is 60%". They've always said that bars are definitely not an indicator of signal.
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    I get 20-30fps regularly over Sprint's EvDO, even in low signal areas.

Couldn't be better, imo.

BTW, 1.1 Beta 2 is out now. You can "hide" your favorites now, which is very nice.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Any idea of when Sling will roll out software for the Palm OS?
    I am thinking of getting the WX and the Slingbox would be a great novelty to have.

Here is the thing though...I am not in an EVDO area as of yet...would the slingbox just be a waste of money due to the poor connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by player2 View Post
    I am thinking of getting the WX and the Slingbox would be a great novelty to have.

Here is the thing though...I am not in an EVDO area as of yet...would the slingbox just be a waste of money due to the poor connection?
    Yes
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Quote Originally Posted by player2 View Post

It depends on your toleration level. If you have a strong 1x signal the picture even though grainy is still viewable. If you are in a weak 1x area forget it.

Some people at the slingcommunity have played with settings to make 1x even in weaker areas to be workable. Like I said it's all about what you can tolerate.
    I would also point out it depends if you plan on using for other purposes.

Granted, I like using it on my 700wx but I also use it at school and work on a PC.

So you might want it for that and then if Ev comes around to your area, you'll be set (or if you travel to an Ev area too).

You can also select "Just audio stream" or their single frame mode, which is like what MobitTV was years ago (a new frame every 2-3 seconds), which IS great for 1x areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I get 20-30fps regularly over Sprint's EvDO, even in low signal areas.

Couldn't be better, imo.

BTW, 1.1 Beta 2 is out now. You can "hide" your favorites now, which is very nice.
    I just downloaded Beta 2...

I was down to 2 days left in my trial and, lo and behold, upon installation of Beta 2 I have a fresh 30 days. Interesting...

Also, according to what I see you can hide your favorites but it doesn't increase the screen size. That's what I was hoping for.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    I just downloaded Beta 2...

I was down to 2 days left in my trial and, lo and behold, upon installation of Beta 2 I have a fresh 30 days. Interesting...

Also, according to what I see you can hide your favorites but it doesn't increase the screen size. That's what I was hoping for.
    right, it's just "nicer" looking when watching a show, instead of having big blarring icons on the screen.

I would also like full screen support (The CorePlayer looks great fullscreen) but of course, part of the screen will be cut off. I'm totally fine with that and I would at least like the option.

Mabye it can still happen before 1.1 final come out.

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    right, it's just "nicer" looking when watching a show, instead of having big blarring icons on the screen.

I would also like full screen support (The CorePlayer looks great fullscreen) but of course, part of the screen will be cut off. I'm totally fine with that and I would at least like the option.

Mabye it can still happen before 1.1 final come out.
    Its funny.. on the ppc6700 it has full screen support...
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    Its funny.. on the ppc6700 it has full screen support...
    in portrait?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast