Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I have been Slung!

Got the tuner from BestBuy, installation was mindless -- can't believe how easy it was to set up, over the network no less. It busted through my firewall with no problems, too. The software was great, and the streaming to my 700w is 1,000% better than through orb.com, plus I can change channels and not have to rely on the Windows media player.

Yes, I'm thoroughly impressed... money well spent!
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    The cost is really low. I was an early adopter and it still only cost me about $250 - I can watch on my phone, on my computer when on vacation, etc. It basically allows me to have complete access to my DVR no matter where I am. It's amazing.
    ITA. I was also an early adopter. If I only had access on my Treo, I may not have bothered. Access from my laptop is what I like most.

-- When on business or pleasure trips, I'm not stuck with watching the hotel cable or paying the hotel for movies. I can watch On-Demand movies, premium subscriptions and saved programs.

-- Now I have access to all of the cable TV coming into my house on-demand. If I want to watch TV at work, I can. I'm paying for it 24X7 so why shouldn't I have access to it

-- When someone calls me about a program while I'm out and about, I don't have to say "Rats, I'll have to miss it." Instead, I bring Slingplayer up on my Treo, start the DVR. and watch it later.

-- I can show a DVR saved broadcast to friends from my laptop. It is very cool when I hook up a projector!

I imagine that you can do a lot of this via orb but I didn't have a workstation I wanted to dedicate for this purpose.
  3.    #43  
    I'm glad I'm not the only one so impressed with it... I had to show it off at work today...had people asking all day long to see it lol.
    Well, I've had it operational now for about 6 hours, my USB TV tuner I used for orb is now disconnected and everyone I've showed it to was blown away. I'm even running the beta of the new Slingplayer Mobile and haven't had any issues. The ability to have a consistent stream of video and to be able to change channels at will is beyond incredible.

As the original poster said... "Uh....wow!"
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I might have to just go ahead and get one even though its not yet compatible with my 700p... In fact, I will pick one up tomorrow. Do you need a tv tuner card in your pc for the initial setup? I sure hope not...
    The tuner is built into the Slingbox. As I've been told (and confirmed on my own), the software that you install just gives you the ability to watch TV from your computer... streamed over your home network from the Slingbox. And yes, you don't even need to have your computer running to watch your Slingbox from another computer with the software. It's an all-in-one device. Very cool. I'm diggin' it.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Sling side!

Glad you are liking it... I love mine too, it's an awsome thing to show off at work too
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Man, I sure do feel left out. I have a Mac iBook at home and a 700P in my pocket, neither of which is supported by Slingbox (yet). Please hurry and make a Palm client! I can't wait to dump MobiTV!
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I love my Slingbox EXCEPT for the fact the even though I can view color on my Treo, the output of the slingbox going to my home theater projector is black and white. I haven't had much time to do much troubleshooting or to contact the OEM, but I thought that was weird. But even if I have to get a stand alone set top box for the slingbox, its till worth it!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash View Post
    I have been Slung!

Got the tuner from BestBuy, installation was mindless -- can't believe how easy it was to set up, over the network no less. It busted through my firewall with no problems, too. The software was great, and the streaming to my 700w is 1,000% better than through orb.com, plus I can change channels and not have to rely on the Windows media player.

Yes, I'm thoroughly impressed... money well spent!
    You didn't waste any time, huh? Glad to see you're impressed with it - I've yet to see anyone who's disappointed with this thing. What's even more impressive to me is how good this thing has been from the very beginning. A lot of products sound like great concepts on paper but the reality is often disappointing. Slingbox has been amazing from day one and it's only gotten better from there. Slingmedia has been so good about updating the software and they're really responsive to customer feedback/requests. All in all I have to say it's one of my best electronics purchases over the last 10 years (right up there with my Treo and my HDTivos). I can't tell you how many times I've been places where I had some time to kill (waiting rooms, getting my car's oil changed at the dealership, on the crapper, etc.) and I just whip out my Treo and start watching. To me Slingbox is just like Tivo in that you don't know how great it really is until you own one - it's one of those devices that I just can't live without now.

And for those with MAC and or Palm, hang in there - help is on the way!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I have been slung too!

I picked up mine from bestbuy yesterday. They have a good deal going now, $134.99! Didn't get to sleep last night until 3:00AM up playing with my sling box! I have just found my way to be 100% unproductive at work!

Go Slingbox!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    I have just found my way to be 100% unproductive at work!
    You're one lucky ******* - my work blocks my Slingplayer from connecting, so I'm stuck watching on my Treo. It's better than nothing but it's much better watching it on a computer instead of the Treo's little screen.
    Yeah, I'd still be careful at work. There are a ton of stories on SlingCommunity of people getting disciplined or even fired from their jobs for slinging. You spike your bandwidth BIGTIME if you do this at work.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Hay what settings are you using for your mobile player? Did you guys leave it standard, or have you tweeked them a little?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    question for all the err.... slingers. I do not have cable at home and havent turned my tv on in weeks. I do however, have several movies, series and stuff stored on my pc at home. Is there a way to use slingbox, (well not the box, but the player) to play videos stored on a computer harddrive or other storage device?
    You can hook up the SlingAV to a DVD player. If you have a multi-disk DVD this would be pretty effective. As for the stuff on hard drive I think you would have to use Orb. Slingbox only works on devices that can be controlled via remote, so maybe if you have a Media Center PC but otherwise I doubt it.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Thanks for the info, i don't have a multi disc dvd player, but i do have a media center pc. I currently use orb, it works when it works, but its kinda clunky. I'm sure its just a matter of time till they come up with something like that.
    Day 2, Post Slinging...

psywzrd -- you said it best. I bought my Treo 700w back in January shortly after VZW came out with it. Slingbox was purchased yesterday. In between all that I discovered other gadgets to play with, but these two products are by far the two best of 2006 for me... simply because I use them daily, hourly even. You're analogy with the TiVo is spot on... I bought the TiVo several years ago because I thought it was cool. My wife didn't get it, until she played with it... more... and more... and now she can't live without it. In fact, we now have two TiVos, networked, and if all goes well we'll have a 3rd this Christmas (yeah, we watch a lot of TV -- so sue me!) Slingbox is on par with TiVo -- it's a cool gadget, but then you get it and play with it a little bit more every day... next thing you know, you're killing all sorts of crazy time with it.

BTW, I did look into the Slingbox earlier this year when they just had one Slingbox (the "brick"). I didn't like the price point, and they didn't have a WM5 client out yet. Well, that all changed last month when the released three new models and the WM5 client. My hat's off to their development team... way to keep at it.

I can't wait to see what 2007 has to offer... from Palm (or others) and Sling Media. Gotta love technology...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Yeah, I'd still be careful at work. There are a ton of stories on SlingCommunity of people getting disciplined or even fired from their jobs for slinging. You spike your bandwidth BIGTIME if you do this at work.
    ITA. I only go into my office once/week but if I didn't, I would just listen to TV from my Treo instead. It isn't worth getting having an otherwise stellar record tarnished for watching a Tivo'ed Law & Order episode.

OTOH, nobody would care if you fired it up to watch some major news event. In fact, you might have your superiors and others gathered around and thanking you for having a CNN broadcast. Better that than having half the team going home.
    A Slingbox AV is only $160 on amazon, but I also need a ethernet wireless adapter thing. My total cost would be about $250, I think it's still worth it. Might have to go for it once I get a 3G treo.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast