Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I have cable and use the dual tuner hi-def DVR ( I love DVR and hi-def). Which Slingbox would I need? Using it I could watch any channel or DVR recording I have? Even the hi-def channels and recording?

Other than on your Treo, what do you use Slingbox for? It seems kind of expensive just to watch it on your phone so I know there must be some really cool uses for it.

Thanks

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornem View Post
    Question: My home PC and cable modem+wireless router is upstairs in a bedroom. My TV+Tivo is downstairs in living room. Do I have to buy that $99 slingbox setup that plugs into my home electrical system to get all plugged up? ... or will it work ok as is?
    I have the same setup. I use the linksys gaming adapter plugged into the slingbox. My router is a linksys compact wireless g router. It works perfectly.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    I have cable and use the dual tuner hi-def DVR ( I love DVR and hi-def). Which Slingbox would I need? Using it I could watch any channel or DVR recording I have? Even the hi-def channels and recording?

Other than on your Treo, what do you use Slingbox for? It seems kind of expensive just to watch it on your phone so I know there must be some really cool uses for it.

Thanks

Greg

You can't watch hi-def recordings via Slingbox (well, technically you can but not in hi-def). Slingbox is not capable of streaming hi-def at this time but I would expect it will be in the future as bandwidth continues to increase. You can watch any channel, any recording - it gives you complete control of your DVR, cable box, etc. It's as if you're in front of your DVR but you're doing it remotely, so there's obviously a tiny bit of a delay when sending remote commands.

The cost is really low. I was an early adopter and it still only cost me about $250 - I can watch on my phone, on my computer when on vacation, etc. It basically allows me to have complete access to my DVR no matter where I am. It's amazing.
    You can watch HD channels that are downgraded to svideo. For example my friend has DirecTV with nfl ticket and I watch football games on my widescreen laptop through his slingbox. I set the slingplayer display to 16:9 and it is even in proper widescreen mode. It's pretty amazing. With my pip on my hdtv and my widescreen laptop I watch 3 football games at the same time all in widescreen.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    The Slingbox itself has a network connection. You connect one end of the network cable to the Slingbox and the other end of the cable to the wireless device (in my case, the DLink device). This allows the Slingbox to connect to your existing wireless network (assuming you have a wireless network of course). It's actually really simple to hook up and their tech support is top-notch if you need it.
    so all I need is a wireless adapter that plugs into an ethernet connection. I have a WRT54G at home, and I'm currently using ORB with my MCE TV PC. Quality is soso when viewing from a laptop, and there are some...incompatibilities with the software and my TV Tuner. Maybe I should give slingbox a try
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Can I watch someone elses slingbox on my computer? Is only one connection allowed at a time? It would be cool if comcast sent out internet tv feeds for their account holders...
    You can only have one connection at a time. The main reason I got slingbox is so my girlfriend can watch my cable (she is a grad student living in poverty and had to choose b/t hi-speed internet and cable tv). If she is slingin in we either have to watch the same thing or one of us has to switch over to the coax input.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Here's a question I can't seem to find answered...

Do you need to have a PC for it to work? Can you simply hook up your coax cable to the back end of it, plug it into your network, and go? Or do you need to have a PC running at home while you're out with your phone? The reason I ask is that this is my primary complaint of orb.com -- if I am travelling with my notebook computer I can't use orb, unless it's online at the hotel of course. Would be great if this simply communicated directly with the Sling servers and did not require a PC to stream.
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash View Post
    Here's a question I can't seem to find answered...

Do you need to have a PC for it to work? Can you simply hook up your coax cable to the back end of it, plug it into your network, and go? Or do you need to have a PC running at home while you're out with your phone? The reason I ask is that this is my primary complaint of orb.com -- if I am travelling with my notebook computer I can't use orb, unless it's online at the hotel of course. Would be great if this simply communicated directly with the Sling servers and did not require a PC to stream.
    no PC is required to run, only to setup.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    That's awesome! Thanks.

Just found the Slingbox Tuner for a really low price at BestBuy ($135). That's not much more than I paid for my TV tuner to get orb working.

And their WM5 app is free? So total investment is just the cost of the Slingbox?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I think they're charging for the mobile app but it's only like $30 or something (us early adopters got it for free). It is well worth the investment - you won't be disappointed.
    I tried installing "over the air" the .cab file but just got a bunch of text -- however I was able to install the new beta. It asked me to register, so I'm assuming once the 30 days is up then that's when they want your $30. No biggie.

Now I just need a slingbox... unless someone knows of a test "Slingbox Finder ID" I can use to try this out
    I decided to just buy the Slingbox Tuner from BestBuy -- was the lowest price I could find, and I can just go pick it up at my local store. $135 -- not bad. Even though we have two TiVo DVRs, they are usually controlled by my wife and I just want to watch TV. Glad Sling offers this budget cable-only version. I'm looking forward to using it.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    You're going to regret not hooking it up to one of your DVRs - it's magical.
    Will this work with the Motorola DVR that comes with Adelphia/Time Warner?
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    You're going to regret not hooking it up to one of your DVRs - it's magical.
    Perhaps... however I can still program my DVRs remotely if I need to, and to be honest--I don't watch that much recorded programming... that's my wife's dept.

My other problem is that if my wife or daughter is at home using the DVR, it will cause nothing but problems when I get back home!
    It doesn't need a PC to run, only to set up.

It will work with any cable/satellite box.

You can watch HD channels, but I recommend the SD channel on the slingbox because it fills the screen better, and overall looks better streamed.

You can only waych 1 at a time but can set up slingplayers (the viewer program) on infinite PCs. I have one at work, one at my volunteer job, and on my phone.

The DVR is probably the ultimate setup. Even if you cannot watch TV, you can take a minute to open the slingbox, change to the channel of a show you are about to miss, and record it. Disconnect from slingbox and its waiting for you when you get home. The possibilities are way too many to mention. You have a full function remote, so you can imagine what can be done.

Slingmedia has released an HD version of their product. I don't think I will buy it, because again, streaming how much better will it look on a square computer monitor? If you have a high-high speed plan (I would say more than 600kbps upload) and have a widescreen monitor to really enjoy the advantages of an HD picture....
    Or you can just get the Pro, hook up both devices and switch at will. It's really convenient for people with roommates or SO's.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    The advantage of the HD SlingPro is not so much the HD (takes a TON of upload bandwidth but useful if slinging in a different room of the house) but the fact that you can connect multiple components. The other boxes only take one input.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    I just bought a SlingBox here in the UK. It was a pretty penny at 175 from PCWorld, but it works very well. It came with two inputs plus a DTV tuner, for a total of 3 possible sources. I hooked it up to my Sky + PVR, and it works very well over LAN, and pretty well over UMTS. Its definitely a keeper.

Surur
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast