1.    #1  
    Is manual network selection enabled/available on these unlocked Voda 750s? I fully expect Cingular to cripple that feature.

Also, for users on Cingular, do roaming wireless companies (T-Mobile et al.) show up as "Cingular Extend" or by their true name?
    If I go to phone preference/network it shows the network as Cingular but I don't see anything else. Under services there is a band selection but that's just for selecting frequency.

So I guess it's not there unless there is someplace else I should look.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The limitation of the "select network" option is actually in the SIM. It's a setting or flag in the SIM which tells the phone software weather or not to make the option available.
    So pretty much all phones period (even cingular) have this option, but when you use it with a cingular SIM the option goes away. Use a SIM from another company and it'll show up.
    "Cingular Extneded" is also a 'feature' of the SIM overriding the display. The only way I know to restore that is to get Cingular to add the feature tag to your account that changes this display... that or hack the phone software.

I'm going to start playing around with coding on WM5. One of my projects will be to attempt to create an app that'll give you access to what network you'r really on...even if it just means showing the MNC number of the network.
    I have a feeling restoring or re-creating manual network selection will be an excercise in futility otherwise I'm sure someone would have done it by now.

I know how to get to this info on PalmOS, but I haven't worked with WM5 yet.

I was finally successful getting CS to add a (free) feature code to my account called "off network alpha tag." All this does is instead of showing "Cingular" when on or off Cingular's network, it'll show "Cingular" when on Cingula and "Off Network" when you're not.
    Unfortunately it's not the REAL carrier alpha tag, but at least I can see that I'm 'roaming'
    The feature shows up on my online account manager features list as:
    "Off Net AlphaTag" and the feature code is 4EON I was told (for 'for excessive off network')
    I called Cingular and asked them "Could you see if you can find this feature code called "Off Network Alpha Tag" and I believe the code is 4EON." After a bit of encouragement she did some searching and found it much to her own amazement "I've never seen that before."

It's something that if you get the "nasty letter" for excessive domestic roaming they add it to your account so you can reduce your off network usage.
    Last edited by taylorh; 10/19/2006 at 11:36 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Yup, network selection is a sim feature. This is why I will be holding on to my 32k sim as long as I can.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
  5.    #5  
    taylorh, thank you for the great reply.
    This is how to select the network band of your choice.
    Menu>Preferences>Phone Settings>Services>Band Selection.
    This allows you to select the band (Auto, GMS, UMTS) and frequences. It does not allow you to select the network (such as Cingular or T-Mobile).

Quote Originally Posted by justin801 View Post
    This is how to select the network band of your choice.
    Menu>Preferences>Phone Settings>Services>Band Selection.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    And just reiterating what I said before. If you use any SIM other than Cingular in that phone, you'll probably be able to select the carrier. Once you put in a Cingular SIM that option will mysteriously disappear.
    The link in my signature for manual network selection leads to my (sparse) web site that explains some of this and offers the hack for PalmOS GSM phones. I hope to have this for the 750 some day.
    I plan to get a Cingular 750 as soon as it's out (within a month I hope) and I'll get busy on trying to develop a hack for WM5. Be patient, it may take a couple of months if I'm even successful at all. I may enlist some folks over at xda-developers.com to help out.

It's not that I find I EVER need to actually use this feature. It just irritates me that it's gone and I feel compelled to bring it back. Just like some other standard WM5 features that Cingular turns off (via the registry) that I turn back on.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G