Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone please try Skype on the 750v over 3G?, and WiFi?(if available)

Many thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Bump...
    You might want to take a look at this company. It has its limits in that Skype needs to be running on your PC

http://www.eqo.com/
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    actually you might want to look at the Skype site! Skype has clients for Windows, Linux and POCKETPC.
  5.    #5  
    I have it installed in my Treo, but I don't have 3G coverage in my area and was wondering if someone that does have coverage could test it out.
    Cool Hector. Let us know how you go. Can some try using Skype while using the Wifi card.
  7.    #7  
    I tried today with the Spectec WiFi MiniSD card, this is what I did:

-I first tried with Skype v2.1 and it was choppy and unusable.
    -Then tried with the same version of Skype, but with XCPUScalar (Speeding up the processor to 500mhz), but still not usable.
    -Then tried with Skype v2.0, with XCPUScalar active, and the sound was still choppy.
    -Then tried with Skype v2.0 for slow processors, with XCPUScalar active, and was somewhat usable, but still very choppy.

I don't know what could be the problem, I did a speedtest and got 200kbps, and with my laptop using the same connection I got 618kbps. Don't know what this could be attributed to?

Can anyone that has the spectec card do a speedtest comparison with a computer using the same connection and see how they compare.
  8.    #8  
    Apparently XCPUScaler only works on XScale and TI OMAP CPU's. Until we can find a way to overclock the Samsung's CPU I don't think we are going to be able to use Skype on the Treo 750v.
    try forcing the codec to a lower cpu requirement.

http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t51915.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    try forcing the codec to a lower cpu requirement.

http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t51915.html
    I disabled the codecs like it says in the post over at Skype forums, and tried running Skype and it would be unusable when trying to establish a voice conversation.

I then uninstalled v2.1 and installed v2.0 for slow processors and then did the registry hack to disable the codecs and still no go.

I'm going to try tomorrow at my office where I have a faster internet connection and see how it works out. Although I doubt this is the problem since I am able to use skype with my laptop at home without any problems. But for some reason with the Spectec wifi card I get a much lower speed reading than with my laptop, almost 2 thirds lower (200kbps vs. 600kbps on my laptop). Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorV View Post
    I disabled the codecs like it says in the post over at Skype forums, and tried running Skype and it would be unusable when trying to establish a voice conversation.

I then uninstalled v2.1 and installed v2.0 for slow processors and then did the registry hack to disable the codecs and still no go.

I'm going to try tomorrow at my office where I have a faster internet connection and see how it works out. Although I doubt this is the problem since I am able to use skype with my laptop at home without any problems. But for some reason with the Spectec wifi card I get a much lower speed reading than with my laptop, almost 2 thirds lower (200kbps vs. 600kbps on my laptop). Any ideas?
    Just check if the "disablecodec" hack really works. On the PC version of Skype, from v2.0 they changed that from "registry" to the config.xml file.
    To check what codec skype is actually using, on the pc version of skype enable the "debug" information... from the options menu -> advanced -> show information about the call. Then call your laptop from the 750v (or vice versa...), and move the mouse on the laptop on the main skype window (with the focus on it). It will show you some info about the current call... among that, the current codec...
  12.    #12  
    The "DisableCodec" hack works, I tried with the call and got the EG711A codec in the call info window. But for some reason with the WiFi card my Treo gets very slow, I'm going to be in a 3G city and will try skype then over 3G.

I have installed v2.0 for slow processors, but like I said my Treo becomes very sluggish and unresponsive when connected via WiFi. Does this happen to others with the Spectec card?
    I'm reviewing the Spectec miniSD card and I am also trying to get Skype to work. if anyone has any new info, please let us know asap.
    I'd be curious to know that you think of the card. I've had nothing but problems with mine, very flakey and intermittent. Works fine then stops working completely, etc... I've now tried it on two 750v's. At first I thought the first must be defective then I started having problems with it on the second. I think the card must be bad, but without another to compare to I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mausalot View Post
    I'm reviewing the Spectec miniSD card and I am also trying to get Skype to work. if anyone has any new info, please let us know asap.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  15.    #15  
    I haven't had many problems with my card, other than the system becoming very sluggish when using the card and Skype. I even get weird speed readings. Using the same connection my laptop would read 618kbps (using Speakeasy) and my Treo would read 204kbps (using dslreports mobile).
    Last edited by HectorV; 10/26/2006 at 12:22 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot View Post
    mausalot, can you try Skype using a 3G connection if you have one?

I have installed in my Treo v2.0 for slow processors and haven't had any luck establishing a constant conversation in Skype.
  17.    #17  
    Today I was finally able to connect via 3G and establish a Skype call and was successful!!!!

I was using Skype v2.0 for slow processors. I had no other programs running and did the registry hacks to disable some of the codecs and was using the supplied wired headset.

This leads me to believe that the Spectec drivers are to blame for it not working using WiFi.

I did a speed test and got 306 kbit/sec using dslreports.com/speedtest.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    That's good to know HectorV. Will you consider sending this info over to Spectec? Maybe then they can investigate and work on necessary improvements.

Thanks to all for testing.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Just a thought. Have you tried using the Skype client on the Treo with it USB connected to the PC? Use the PC's internet broadband connection through activesync and see if it works. Obviously it's not a working solution, but it might help you rule out processor and bandwidth limitations.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Just a thought. Have you tried using the Skype client on the Treo with it USB connected to the PC? Use the PC's internet broadband connection through activesync and see if it works. Obviously it's not a working solution, but it might help you rule out processor and bandwidth limitations.
    I was able to connect and use Skype over 3G, so I assume it's not a processor or bandwidth limitation, I was getting around 300kbps over 3G and Skype worked perfectly.

It would be interesting to see if someone else with the Spectec card to try it out and see if it will work for them, as it didn't work for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast