Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Just a thought. Have you tried using the Skype client on the Treo with it USB connected to the PC? Use the PC's internet broadband connection through activesync and see if it works. Obviously it's not a working solution, but it might help you rule out processor and bandwidth limitations.
    Just did another test, now with the drivers from the website that are labeled for PPC 2003 (file wlan11b-14C.CAB) and I got a speed reading of around 758kbps and still the conversation was not sustainable. The main problem comes from the phone freezing for a couple of seconds (mini-hangs) and then continuing. While it's not in a mini-hang, the audio quality is great, but for some reason the phone keeps doing these mini-hangs/freezes. Although with this new driver it doesn't do it while doing the speedtest as it did with the prior driver.

Can someone else test this and lets confirm these findings so that we can take it up with Spectec?
    Why were you using the 2003 version instead of WM5? To be honest, I had nothing but problems with this card. It almost seemed like the drivers were bad or the hardware was bad. Since others were reporting success I assumed it was my card. But the company that sold it (buygps.com through amazon.com) have been complete jerks and I haven't been able to get it exchanged.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Why were you using the 2003 version instead of WM5? To be honest, I had nothing but problems with this card. It almost seemed like the drivers were bad or the hardware was bad. Since others were reporting success I assumed it was my card. But the company that sold it (buygps.com through amazon.com) have been complete jerks and I haven't been able to get it exchanged.
    I was following a hint from another post that suggested that the drivers where mixed up on the website because if you look at the network card preferences you will see that the driver says "for PPC 2003" or something like that. That had me confused and I decided to try the other driver to see how it worked.

I have to say that with both drivers I get the same freezes and usability is sub-par.
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorV View Post
    Can someone please try Skype on the 750v over 3G?, and WiFi?(if available)

Many thanks.
    I am now using skype daily, using 3G and GPRS data connections.

On both the chat feature worked perfectly, and i was able to have quite a lengthly chat with another user on the desktop client as no different.

The calls via GPRS were very distorted, intermittent but what do you expect.

3G was better but not perfect but usable.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sun View Post
    I am now using skype daily, using 3G and GPRS data connections.

On both the chat feature worked perfectly, and i was able to have quite a lengthly chat with another user on the desktop client as no different.

The calls via GPRS were very distorted, intermittent but what do you expect.

3G was better but not perfect but usable.
    Silver Sun,

Which version of Skype are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I suggested he try it. I was playing with seeing if I could get the card to work on the Cingular 8125 (just for the hell of it) and tryed both versions of the driver. It never did work (conflicted with the built in Wifi) but it was fun to experiment. I noticed it said "for 2003" when Installed the WM5 driver, and it didn't when I installed the 2003 version. So I suspected maybe they had the links reversed on the download page.
    I figured it was worth a shot and suggested it.

I was suggesting getting the microSD card from Spectec with the MiniSD adapater to see if it worked better as they have newer/different drivers for it. It's also different hardware so it may perform differently...or not work at all! I don't have a Treo yet, but I'm willing to buy it and try it as soon as Cingular starts selling the 750. Hopefully not more than a few weeks.

By the way I'm RF9 on HoFo.

I'm kind of bummed this card doesn't really work on the Treo. I had hope.

On my Treo 650 I use a Bluetooth wireless access point with "reverse bluetooth DUN" (use bluetooth as your network connection.) It has short range but it's kind of like using Wifi. I use it at home with my 650 since it's a little faster than EDGE (but not by much.)
    This type of connection gets me about a solid 200kbps. I was unable to do such a connection using the Cingular 8125 as it doesn't support bluetooth networking!
    I was shocked that PalmOS does, but WM5 doesn't.
    It would have been a great back up plan, but it looks like I lose that as well with WM5

I'm really want to find a working wifi solution. It's the one thing that makes it hard to chose the Treo 750 over the Cingular 8525.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I just tried Skype 2.1 on a 750 and it can not find the 3g network. Any suggestions?
    Treo 750v skype 2.1 with nothing added over a cingular 3g connection worked for me via voice straight-up BUT only for about 2 minutes. Then it started to break up and the delays and the "what did you just say"s were starting to creep in.

However, skype 2.1 with a TyTN straight-up worked perfectly.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12