1.    #1  
    All,

I am wondering if the cab files and the Blackberry connect tools for the Treo 750v will work on the Treo 700w or 700wx. I am a Cingular customer so I can't test this software. HTC has made the BBC software compatiable in the past with other us units i.e., the T-Mobile Vario works with the USA MDA and the 8125. If this does work this will be a valuable tool for us folks chained to a corp blackberry server for push email. The software can be found here:

http://euro.palm.com/de/de/products/...ect/getit.html

Yes it is is in German but it downloads and works in english. You need the file "Für BlackBerry Internet Service™ und BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ ("desktop" installer - 16.5MB) herunterladen." this has the exes for the device and desktop software.

Also, "BlackBerry Connect Hanbuch (in englischer Sprache) herunterladen." is the instruction PDF in english.

If you have never done this before... you need to double click the exe file BBCTreo750v...this loads the software to your phone. You let it initialize and let it activesync again. You than double click Blackberry desktop software load it on your system. This operates like the Blackberry destop software and allows you to add signture and so on. It is in this destop software where you will find a connect button. Clicking this button pushes your companies Blackberry requirments to the device.

Notes: You must be running Blackberry Server 4.1 or better and you must have an active blackberry account. Please let me know if you are able to get this working. You need to call your carrier and tell them to convert you to a Blackberry data plan. They may argue at first but evetnually they will do it. In other forums I have read that Verizon does not particion it's blackberry packets diffrently so it may work off the bat for Verizon customers...I don't know for sure.

Thanks,
    MJH
    I tried this today.

I got everything downloaded. I got the CAB file installed on my Treo. Everything looked right. The Desktop client has a PIN and the "Connect" button was active.

However, when I went to connect, it could not see my 700wx. It said that the device was either not attached or that the BBConnect software was not running. It certainly was attached (if it wasn't, the "Connect" option would not have been there).

So, my question is about the BBConnect software that ends up on the 700wx.

Searching through what it puts on the device, there are a bunhc of files -- about 5MB worth. However, only one that can be run -- it is called "BBSettings". It's the only one with an icon. It looks just like the first two pictures running in these pics.

However, once opened, there is no program called BBConnect, or anything new, listed as running in the running programs list. There is no other BB program on the device to run (that I can find). I guess it integrates with Pocket Outlook?

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
  3.    #3  
    It sounds like you did not get the initalization done. If you are not configured by your carriar (Sprint in your case) to accept Blackberry data it will not configure proprerly between the server, your device, and the BB servers in Canada. Did you configure your service?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh32 View Post
    It sounds like you did not get the initalization done. If you are not configured by your carriar (Sprint in your case) to accept Blackberry data it will not configure proprerly between the server, your device, and the BB servers in Canada. Did you configure your service?
    No, I am not configured by my carrier.

That doesn't sound like the problem to me, though.

Wouldn't that prevent a problem with the service, not with the connection between the computer and the phone? My issue is that the phone itself is not able to connect with the Desktop provisioning software. When I look at the BBConnect software on the device, all of the information except what it needs from the desktop is there. So the software on the device is connecting with the network -- for example, it has an IP address.

Thoughts??
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR View Post
    No, I am not configured by my carrier.

That doesn't sound like the problem to me, though.

Wouldn't that prevent a problem with the service, not with the connection between the computer and the phone? My issue is that the phone itself is not able to connect with the Desktop provisioning software. When I look at the BBConnect software on the device, all of the information except what it needs from the desktop is there. So the software on the device is connecting with the network -- for example, it has an IP address.

Thoughts??
    nothing to necessarily help but this exact scenerio happened with the 650 and BBC when it came out overseas. People were able to get it to work on Sprint w/out any plan changes.

Of course that's Palm this is WM5 but these situations are mirroring each other. Might want to search the 650 forum on the history of BBC there (though I'm sure it's a load of reading).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    nothing to necessarily help but this exact scenerio happened with the 650 and BBC when it came out overseas. People were able to get it to work on Sprint w/out any plan changes.

Of course that's Palm this is WM5 but these situations are mirroring each other. Might want to search the 650 forum on the history of BBC there (though I'm sure it's a load of reading).
    Thanks. I don't think that I'd need to change the plan. CDMA doesn't seem to need to do that with BB.

My issue relates to getting the device properly provisioned through the desktop software. And it is confusing. Everything looks like it's working, but it fails at the last step. So frustrating.
    I am at the same step as you and Im getting the " not connected " message. It seems that we are missing some software / service. because if you go into the " status "screen on the treo, it has the "service " section and it looks like we are missing a pice of that.

I wonder if its in the dump of the 750v rom file.

-- Sal
    Anyone have any luck with this?

It does seem like the 700wx is missing a key part. The service never stays started.

where is the rom dump. I can't find it.
    No luck here.
  10. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Has anyone had any luck with installing BBconnect on the 700wx?
    tell me this - if your company has Exchange 2003 (which many - not all, but many - do), why do you think you need BBC? I'll try and guess the answers:

1. My company only supports Blackberry devices and the BES
    2. I think I have to have it because BB is all i've ever heard, when it comes to push email
    3. I've used BB devices before and their email story is rock solid, so surely BBC on the 700w/x would be as good.

Keep in mind that BBC is a corporate solution - it doesn't work on BWC or BIS. So, for the most part, a company who has a BES would also have Exchange (not everybody, of course, but most), and if your Exchagne server is on 2003, running Service Pack 2, and your company has the infrastructure for OWA (Outlook Web Access) set up, then you have all you need to get push email working NOW with your w or wx. No need to load up any clunky BBC files and such.

Just roll with the native Microsoft Direct Push now, and forget BBC. No need for it!!
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    What about the folks that use lotus notes???
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt View Post
    What about the folks that use lotus notes???
    We wait for BBC and continue to suffer with redirectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    tell me this - if your company has Exchange 2003 (which many - not all, but many - do), why do you think you need BBC? I'll try and guess the answers:

1. My company only supports Blackberry devices and the BES
    2. I think I have to have it because BB is all i've ever heard, when it comes to push email
    3. I've used BB devices before and their email story is rock solid, so surely BBC on the 700w/x would be as good.

Keep in mind that BBC is a corporate solution - it doesn't work on BWC or BIS. So, for the most part, a company who has a BES would also have Exchange (not everybody, of course, but most), and if your Exchagne server is on 2003, running Service Pack 2, and your company has the infrastructure for OWA (Outlook Web Access) set up, then you have all you need to get push email working NOW with your w or wx. No need to load up any clunky BBC files and such.

Just roll with the native Microsoft Direct Push now, and forget BBC. No need for it!!
    I'll give you a scenario from my panaroid company.

I swear our IT dept. is the most security conscious around. We use Blackberries and OneBridge for mobile email. I use OneBridge on my Treo and it works well. I can't use the Live Connect (Push) feature yet because it zaps my battery. I asked our IT dept. why they won't allow Activesync Push since we are running Exchange 2003 SP2. Their reply was "we don't want anyone syncing over the internet." Hello, isn't that what Blackberry and OneBridge do? Talk about hypocrites.
    what you have there is an IT dept (pretty standard really) who knows what they know right now & is unwilling to learn anything new. Close minded.
    Ask them this - do they support OWA? Outlook Web Access? if they do then they're already using the exact same infrastructure as EAS uses.
    Crazy.
    Is there anyway to tell if there is a active sync server on my network?