Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought Tweaks2K2 a long time ago, and was using it all over the place on each of three successive devices I had. Now that I have the 700wx, I have not installed it because things JUST WORK... most of the time.

But, those of you who have it installed, what are you using from the program and what kind of benefits are you seeing? It made my 6600 and 6700 into completely different devices, but I hesitated on the 700wx...

Should I install it? Or are the benefits just not that noteworthy?
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    I bought Tweaks2K2 a long time ago, and was using it all over the place on each of three successive devices I had. Now that I have the 700wx, I have not installed it because things JUST WORK... most of the time.

But, those of you who have it installed, what are you using from the program and what kind of benefits are you seeing? It made my 6600 and 6700 into completely different devices, but I hesitated on the 700wx...

Should I install it? Or are the benefits just not that noteworthy?
    FWIW, I've been using it on the 700wx since the first 15mins I had the phone and you may notice I (dare I say) never have any problems with my device. None (well, except shoddy BT by Palm ).

Here's what I use:

System Tricks
    - Low WMP background quality
    - Wake up Power off time 60s
    - Narrow Scroll bars = 8
    - Alarm Fix for WM2k3/5 = 90s (<--very important, imo)
    - File Based Registry
    - Increase the PNP Unoad Delay
    - WM5 Optimum Cache Size
    - Do not delete CAB
    - Speed up SD/MMC transfer rate

Phone Tricks
    - Disables 3s delay in ringtone (not sure if this sticks)
    - Disables Message Sent warning

Internet Tricks
    - Use ClearType in PIE
    - Download 8 files Simult.
    - Small Letters in PIE
    - Activate Blazer support
    - TS Client Optimal Cache
    - MAX TCP window size

Video

- Speed up Display

and then some general things in calendar and colors.

not sure if everything is needed or greatly improves peformance but I have no issues and couldn't be happier.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Would these all be good for the 700w too? I haven't done any tweaking yet but would love improved performance.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    Would these all be good for the 700w too? I haven't done any tweaking yet but would love improved performance.

Greg
    there's virtually no difference between the two so I would not hesitate to try them.

5.    #5  
    Nice response, as always, Malatesta. You are truly a forum ninja of the highest caliber. Or Jedi, if you prefer.

I think I will try some of this out a little later. Things have been working so well lately on my phone I'm hesitant to go mucking around in my registry too much. A solid backup under my belt, you know I'm going to give it a whirl.

I'm really curious to know, though, outside of my own perception, if these things will help the phone. I mean, all things considered, my perception of how the phone works is really all that matters, so I shouldn't care at all, but you know, when you're a geek, you need that cold, reassuring data.
    END OF LINE
    Nice response, as always, Malatesta. You are truly a forum ninja of the highest caliber. Or Jedi, if you prefer.
    ooo...I want to be a Jedi Ninja. Awesome.

7.    #7  
    Ok - Jedi Ninja it is.

One more quick question. Did you install to main memory or storage card?
    END OF LINE
    Ok - Jedi Ninja it is.

One more quick question. Did you install to main memory or storage card?
    main mem, though I've heard of lots of people putting it on the card.

9.    #9  
    Do you personally think it matters? Is there anything that loads with the program at startup or does it make the regedits and then go quietly back to sleep like I would hope?

A better question, though, would be what would you advise, oh wise 700wx Jedi Ninja?
    END OF LINE
    Do you personally think it matters? Is there anything that loads with the program at startup or does it make the regedits and then go quietly back to sleep like I would hope?

A better question, though, would be what would you advise, oh wise 700wx Jedi Ninja?
    lol, I advise....

Main Mem.

No strong reason, I just feel safer running such software from main mem.

I don't see any evidence that it runs in the background. Most reg changes are done once and then a soft reset occurs.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/17/2006 at 05:38 PM.

11.    #11  
    Sweet. You rock, but you knew that. Thanks...
    END OF LINE
  12.    #12  
    Strangely enough, I installed it, and could not get it to load. I kept getting a .NET error, telling me to make sure if it's installed on a storage card (which it is) to see if the card's in the slot, or to reinstall. Which I did.

So I tried .NET on card, Tweaks on device, no go.
    .NET on device, Tweaks on device, no go.
    .NET on card, Tweaks on card, nothing.

So I guess I'm just not supposed to be messing with this tonight. I feel like it's an omen. Something evil is afoot...

later...

Umm... I have .NET 2.0 installed, and when I looked on the Tweaks site, it links to ol' 1.0 SP3...

Is that my problem?...

still later...

OK. I can't even install 1.0 SP 3. Won't let me do it. WTF? How is it not seeing 2.0?
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 10/17/2006 at 07:27 PM.
    END OF LINE
    Strangely enough, I installed it, and could not get it to load. I kept getting a .NET error, telling me to make sure if it's installed on a storage card (which it is) to see if the card's in the slot, or to reinstall. Which I did.

So I tried .NET on card, Tweaks on device, no go.
    .NET on device, Tweaks on device, no go.
    .NET on card, Tweaks on card, nothing.

So I guess I'm just not supposed to be messing with this tonight. I feel like it's an omen. Something evil is afoot...

later...

Umm... I have .NET 2.0 installed, and when I looked on the Tweaks site, it links to ol' 1.0 SP3...

Is that my problem?...

still later...

OK. I can't even install 1.0 SP 3. Won't let me do it. WTF? How is it not seeing 2.0?
    Whoa. Have no idea what you're doing...

You sure you're using the PPC version and not say the desktop one (they are 2 seperate programs)?

Get the latest version (3.24.1) in .cab format here:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/37160647/Tweaks2k2.zip.html

14.    #14  
    Of course, of course, the PPC one. Yes. I will try the .cab you've posted.

Thanks- while I'm thinking about it, have you tried the desktop version?
    END OF LINE
  15.    #15  
    No dice. Still getting an error message from the app when I first run it that it couldn't load certain components. This is the kind of annoying thing that would probably be solved with a hard reset and installation of everything again, but this week, time's just not going to allow for that...

This is what it's actually saying to me:

.NET CF Initialization Error

The application failed to load required components. If the .NET Compact Framework is installed on a storage card, please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application again. If this fails, a re-installation of the .NET Compact Framework is recommended. Support info: -2147483648 (80000000)

Now I've already done both the card-reinsert and the reinstall of .NET as I said yesterday... what else could I possibly do?
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 10/18/2006 at 07:06 AM.
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    An alternative to this program is the freeware from Trianglepowers software called "700wx hacks". It duplicates a lot of tweaks2k2 but is free, and seems to run perfectly well on the 700w. It is basically a re-hash of their 6700 hacks program but correctly formatted for the square screen.
  17.    #17  
    I was looking at this, as there's another thread for this app. But someone in that thread said that some of the hacks don't work on the 700wx as it was originally written for the 6700 and reformatted for the smaller screen. What was your experience with it?

Also, I kind of don't need the hacks so much, but then it became a mission to figure out why I couldn't get it to run after install...
    END OF LINE
    I was looking at this, as there's another thread for this app. But someone in that thread said that some of the hacks don't work on the 700wx as it was originally written for the 6700 and reformatted for the smaller screen. What was your experience with it?

Also, I kind of don't need the hacks so much, but then it became a mission to figure out why I couldn't get it to run after install...
    that is very strange and I have no idea why that would be. I haven't installed/removed any net CF, in fact I didn't really know it was required. I'm thinking maybe one of your core components (net cf 1.1 is built in to rom in wm5) is screwy.

another option (better than Blade's app) is SKTools which has a bunch of these reg hacks--in fact you can (and I have) just run their optimizer, pick "performance" and soft reset, that'll get you most of those hacks, plus there a few more. only issue is SKtools is not as inuitive and explanatory as to what the hacks do.

19.    #19  
    Right... I figured it would be a hard reset to clean this mess up. I didn't know cf 1.1 was built in... I had installed 2.0 to run Virtual Earth Mobile (the sweetest program EVER!)...

I had tried SKTools, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it... it was so overly complicated, and that's coming from someone who loves complicatin things

Maybe I will give it another shot, although I'm hesitant to pay for another program if a hard reset would fix it. That being said, I don't have time for a hard reset, so...

Do you know of another thread in this forum that gives some decent insight on SKTools? hints, etc.?
    END OF LINE
    Right... I figured it would be a hard reset to clean this mess up. I didn't know cf 1.1 was built in... I had installed 2.0 to run Virtual Earth Mobile (the sweetest program EVER!)...

I had tried SKTools, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it... it was so overly complicated, and that's coming from someone who loves complicatin things

Maybe I will give it another shot, although I'm hesitant to pay for another program if a hard reset would fix it. That being said, I don't have time for a hard reset, so...

Do you know of another thread in this forum that gives some decent insight on SKTools? hints, etc.?
    if you think Virtual Earth Mobile is nice you HAVE to try Map4pda, waaay cooler (does Ask, Google Maps, Virtual Earth Mobile and Yahoo maps!):

http://map4pda.com/download.1.4.htm

re: Sk tools, no there are really no other threads on it that I'm aware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast