Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I found these servers to be even better than the ones originally posted and Wideawake agrees at ppcgeeks (ymmv):

These are from www.opendns.com which, as you might guess, encourages you to use their DNS servers.

They work so good in fact that I changed my PC router to use them and have noticed an increase in "finding the website" (yes, the "Locating" JamesRitter) on my desktop.

So it's a win-win for me.

Unless I'm missing some huge negative here, I'm going to say you are DUMB for not doing this trick. It's one of the best enhancements yet for this already remarkable device and it should help any sprint/web phone.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Listen here PAL!!!!! JK I plugged in thise new numbers and now have a noticable speed increase. I use to get the "Locating" dialogue in the status bar for between 1 to 5 seconds and now it is between 0 to 1 seconds. Thanks for the info mal. I need all the help I can get in EV-less BFE.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    Listen here PAL!!!!! JK I plugged in thise new numbers and now have a noticable speed increase. I use to get the "Locating" dialogue in the status bar for between 1 to 5 seconds and now it is between 0 to 1 seconds. Thanks for the info mal. I need all the help I can get in EV-less BFE.
    glad it's working and when I said "you are dumb" that was a general user "you" not a JamesRitter "you"!

Mal, I also plugged in those new DNS numbers... I got to say YOU ARE GENIUS.. Should we change ur name to 'Treo Guru'

I also have a ?, Sprint Vision uses Sprint DNS #, and changing it, would they find out, or would they even care abt it? Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    Mal, I also plugged in those new DNS numbers... I got to say YOU ARE GENIUS.. Should we change ur name to 'Treo Guru'

I also have a ?, Sprint Vision uses Sprint DNS #, and changing it, would they find out, or would they even care abt it? Thanks!!
    Hey I just stand on the shoulders of giants. All I did was modify what Jimmie original found

No, sprint won't mind (if they really did they'd have blocked the ability). You are still using their data network, this is just using a DNS server. You can do the same with your desktop and ISP.

In fact, sprint would benefit from us doing it since WE are no longer using their severs, freeing up traffic for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    glad it's working and when I said "you are dumb" that was a general user "you" not a JamesRitter "you"!
    Errrr,,,, Ehmm,,,, I knew that.......
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Could someone post how to do this on a Treo 700p ?

Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    Oh Goodnees.. Sprint said that Plus package is faster.. I have to call them now.. But is there anyway to watch ANY TV channels/Music on 700wx? If so, can u provide the links and/or software appl.. Thanks!!
    I think this has something to do with TV but I didnt read it http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=slingbox

For music http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&highlight=xm

For these types of service search key words TCPMP orb slingbox xm .....
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Can someone post a step by step way to do this on my 700wx. And if I do this is their anyway this is going to screw up my phone and or internet on my phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
    Can someone post a step by step way to do this on my 700wx. And if I do this is their anyway this is going to screw up my phone and or internet on my phone?
    read here:
    http://ppcgeeks.com/speed-up-your-internet-t988.html

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    This will not have any affect on the actual phone and pda it will only affect the internet connection, right?
    Those servers are BY FAR the fastest I've seen! Will the speed be affected as more people set this up?
    WOW Mal! Those DNS servers do seem a LOT faster! I'll play with them over the weekend and see if there are any slow downs! W00t!
    mjnoles1: no affect on phone or pda. Just web browising.

Littlepat
    : in theory it's possible, but opendns.com has been around for sometime and they encourage people to use their servers, so I imagine they have a lot of capacity. And lets be honest, cell phone web browsing is a lot less server intensive than desktop.

Having said that, I changed my desktop router to use those opendns servers and both wideawake and I have noticed an improvement there as well.

Stone``: they've been solid for me so far but we'll see how the week goes. Since my desktop is reliant now on those I'm sure I'll notice something.

Mal, could the DNS servers you listed in post #41 be used to speed up page loads on my laptop using a Sprint connection card?

If so, how would I go about plugging in those server addresses?
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    Mal, could the DNS servers you listed in post #41 be used to speed up page loads on my laptop using a Sprint connection card?

If so, how would I go about plugging in those server addresses?
    Only if you can find somewhere to specify the DNS settings...

I don't think it's done straight through your laptop, though I honestly don't know. On a desktop PC you go through the Router to make the changes.

Well, after some snooping, I figured out how to change the DNS setting with my Sprint connection card:

Start > Connect To > Show all connections > Click "Sprint PCS Vision - UTStarcom" > Change settings of this connection > Networking Tab > Click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties > Use the following DNS server addresses > Enter DNS and DNS alternate.

Let's see if there's any noticable difference.

EDIT: After entering the DNS and DNS alternate fron post #41, I am noticing a significant boost in page load time. I'm using both server addresses for my 700wx and my Sprint connection card. Thanks for the tip Mal!

Zach
    Last edited by MidwestDrummer; 12/06/2006 at 02:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use Open DNS, www.opendns.org and that helps internet access on Treos.
    dns1 208.67.222.222
    dns2 208.67.220.220
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    I use Open DNS, www.opendns.org and that helps internet access on Treos.
    dns1 208.67.222.222
    dns2 208.67.220.220
    See post #41.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    So, I tried the opendns ones
    dns1 208.67.222.222
    dns2 208.67.220.220

with a sprint treo, in the bay area. I had the feeling my net connections were slower, and indeed they were.

Test with the above DNS settings
    I was getting 250-300kps,

in the same location, with the default, i am getting 775kps, consistently.

Anyone have any other DNS settings that might make it even better, or should I be just totally happy with the default?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast