Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Level 3 is a high end backbone provider. They have an exceptional optical network and provide long haul services to the ILECS and CLECs.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Indeed, just to confirm I did the above using the servers mentioned by Rackman.

Verdict:

When measuring my speed using Verizion (DSLreports hangs on me) I got 571kb on either server (default and Level 3).

But, I would say overall latency is down significantly, that is my websites ARE found much faster, resulting in quicker net surfing.

That's my impression so far.

I'm going to keep it and see how my experience is the rest of the day.
    You cant expect download tests to tell the story. Download speed is not going to change based on the DNS server. However, finding the sites quicker makes perfect sense if indeed these servers are better or have less traffic on them.

I saw little to no difference and I would have to think that you are loosing a significant amount of redundancy by only having two servers to choose from. Level3 has a network issue, your treo will too.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    You cant expect download tests to tell the story. Download speed is not going to change based on the DNS server. However, finding the sites quicker makes perfect sense if indeed these servers are better or have less traffic on them.

I saw little to no difference and I would have to think that you are loosing a significant amount of redundancy by only having two servers to choose from. Level3 has a network issue, your treo will too.

-Rob
    maybe.

all I know is that browsing is still much faster (e.g. dns lookup) and I won't be going back anytime soon.

If they have a problem? I'll simply go back to using the standard network configuration (Sprint). The whole change can be done in 30 seconds and no soft reset.

This is one of the best tricks I've come across yet, imo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I don't want to screw anything up. Where would I make these changes on a Treo 700p?

Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    It is going to work differently for everyone so to each his own.

If the server is in CA and you are in New England than it is probably a bad idea. If you are in CA than you will most likely benefit.

That is in addition to the servers themselves actually being superior.
    the Level 3 servers are apparently in CO (see post #5) and I'm in NYC and they still work faster than Sprints, in my experience.

as far as 700p, I have no idea. You'll have to ask the 700p forum guys.

I am in Texas, and I just signed up with Sprint Vision Plus package, Is there anyways to make the internet faster? Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    I don't want to screw anything up. Where would I make these changes on a Treo 700p?

Thanks
    I think that you need the MSL code to get into those settings if I remember correctly. Check your connections tab right in the POS and see if there is anything in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    I am in Texas, and I just signed up with Sprint Vision Plus package, Is there anyways to make the internet faster? Thanks!!
    Do you have a 700wx or 6700?

If you are then you're not too bright for signing up for the Plus pack, no offense You just got robbed.

How are you going to watch Sprint TV and download Sprint Music? Hmmm...?

Do you have a 700wx or 6700?

If you are then you're not too bright for signing up for the Plus pack, no offense You just got robbed.

How are you going to watch Sprint TV and download Sprint Music? Hmmm...?
    I have 700wx, and Sprint suggested me to sign up for their Plus pack yesterday. What should I have gone with then? Is there anyway to watch Sprint TV/Music on 700wx; if not, any alternative way? thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    I have 700wx, and Sprint suggested me to sign up for their Plus pack yesterday. What should I have gone with then? Is there anyway to watch Sprint TV/Music on 700wx; if not, any alternative way? thanks.
    Simply put, they tricked and robbed you.

You do not need more than the basic Vision pack at $15.

You are now paying for a service that you cannot use, no matter what.

There is no SprintTV for WM5. No Sprint Music store for WM5. No PictureMail for WM5. Nothing. Just basic EvDO internet.

Call and switch or pay for something you cannot use.

Simply put, they tricked and robbed you.

You do not need more than the basic Vision pack at $15.

You are now paying for a service that you cannot use, no matter what.

There is no SprintTV for WM5. No Sprint Music store for WM5. No PictureMail for WM5. Nothing. Just basic EvDO internet.

Call and switch or pay for something you cannot use.
    Oh Goodnees.. Sprint said that Plus package is faster.. I have to call them now.. But is there anyway to watch ANY TV channels/Music on 700wx? If so, can u provide the links and/or software appl.. Thanks!!
    How do you know which DNS is the fastest for your area?

I found this at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13016

209.244.0.3 = resolver1.level3.net
    209.244.0.4 = resolver2.level3.net

The above servers are popular because they are probably the fastest and closest non-Adelphia DNS servers on the internet. These servers are multi-homed and the IPs listed above will take you straight to the server at the nearest Level3 peering point, which is probably also the nearest Adelphia peering point due to network arrangements between the two companies: www.level3.com/press/5357.html
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I can verify that this works great with Cingular in San Francisco. Blazer is noticeably faster, almost to the point of not being frustrating with only EDGE. I'm getting consistent speeds of over 100kb/s+ on dslreports for the first time, with much lower latency (2.3s or lower). And Chatter seems a bit quicker at getting my email, too. Though that may only be perception.

Combine this with the supposed better caching on the 680, and maybe I'll get a lot more use out of Blazer soon.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    I can verify that this works great with Cingular in San Francisco. Blazer is noticeably faster, almost to the point of not being frustrating with only EDGE. I'm getting consistent speeds of over 100kb/s+ on dslreports for the first time, with much lower latency (2.3s or lower). And Chatter seems a bit quicker at getting my email, too. Though that may only be perception.

Combine this with the supposed better caching on the 680, and maybe I'll get a lot more use out of Blazer soon.

Latency maybe, but changing the DNS server has nothing to do with download speed. All a DNS server does is translate an alphanumeric URL into a numeric IP. There is no way to get a bigger or faster pipe by changing DNS servers.

Raw download bandwidth increases are purely coincidental.
    I changed my wx DNS to 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2, but how do I confirm if its faster?
    ummmm...I dunno how about use it?

how can you see if it is faster if you didn't measure the old settings beforehand? what are you going to compare it to?

I think it's surfing pretty faster... but there's no way to verify this.. changing the DNS, would Sprint Vision charge me extra? and what if Sprint find out?
    So the only benefit this can have is to reduce the time in which the status bar says "Looking up DNS"? I saw no incidence of looking up DNS during my testing with or with out the DNS changes.

If it is possible that it can reduce the time in which the status bar says "Locating", the durations seemed the same with and without the changes. So for me this change made no difference.

Would being in an EV area make a difference?
    I personally havent' tested it on a 700p but it should work.

Simply plug in the new DNS numbers and give it a try. If you see better performance, then great. If it's worse, then just switch back to the default automatic setting.

Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by Rackman; 10/20/2006 at 09:05 AM. Reason: In response to Wilsonb's post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast