Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

Can someone post a good comparison between the 240x240 and the 320x320 screen resolutions? (e.g., side-by-side images, impressions.)

I am trying to get a good gauge for myself and quantify the difference in user experience between the 320 and the 240. Does the 320 offer a quantum-leap improvement over the 240? (like the 240 was from the Treo 600 160 screen?) Is the 320 a "must have" or more like "nice to have" when compared to the 240? (with the Treo 600, for example, the jump to 240 is a "must have" compared to its 160x160.)

Personally, the display quality is important to me. So, for example, if a device is improved by one 'notch' but the display is degraded by the same amout -- I'm likely to stay with the older device for the better screen. So, is the jump from the 700 (which I loved its screen!) to the 750, really worth the reduced display quality?

Thanks,
    Zevi.
    I believe all the WM5 Treo's...700w, 700wx and 750v have 240x240 displays. The POS Treo's have 320x320.

Are you looking for comparison shots between a WM5 Treo and a POS Treo?
    I have both a 700p and 700wx. I thought the screen resolution would be very noticeable, it's not. I've also used registry edits to make the scroll bars smaller on my 700wx so I get more screen space. I can tell you the 240x240 does not look much different than my 700p's 320x320.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 10/17/2006 at 02:01 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    The resolution of the 750 is the same as the 700wx. Both are WM based and both are 240x240.
    i agree with jimmie. The thing is, a lot of POS users automatically dismiss the WM5 treos becuase of the lower resolution. But there is more to a display than just pixels - and the GUI is very important, something that WM5 really does well (it is very aesthetically pleasing, whereas the POS looks, at least to me, like a rolodex). You might notice it if you're using very small fonts, but I personally never did b/c it strained by eyes too much. I went from the Treo 650 to the 8125 and adjusted to the "lower" res almost right away.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for your replies!

I have a pretty good idea of what phone goes with which screen. I think that I also have a good idea of what features I gain/lose with each phone. What I do not have a good sense of, is what does it "cost" me in terms of screen quality when I go to the 750 from the 700p, for example. I want to be able to assign some scale factor to the screen quality, so that in a larger pro/con table that I have, the screen will be properly weighted.

Sparkomatic: Yes, a side-by-side comparison shots between a 320 screen and a 240 one will be great! If possible, the should contain comparable content (e.g., calendar page, photo, etc.)

JimmieG: That helps! If and when I get the 750, I will try and tap into your experience with changing registry edits to make the scroll bars smaller.

OK, using a scale of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 (with "1" as the most negative impact, "9" most positive impact, and the mid-point 5 meaning no effect at all), how would you rate going from 240x240 to 320x320? How about rating the no-antenna on the 750? (in my personal view the last item is probably between 6 and 7).

Thanks,
    Zevi.
    i think you should go to a verizon or sprint store and jsut compare them yourself. Honestly, the screen res is one of my smallest concerns.
    One thing people forget is that the Palm OS is based on a 160x160 screen. The vast majority of programs use the 320x320 as a scaled up, better looking 160x160 screen. So for example many website in IE on WM5 show lots more text (but smaller) than viewing the same website on Blazer. The 320x320 is at it's biggest advantage viewing pictures since they can appear really sharp. Otherwise the difference isn't as big as it sounds.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    i think you should go to a verizon or sprint store and jsut compare them yourself. Honestly, the screen res is one of my smallest concerns.

I agree. I would go to a store and compare. I wasn't going to take pics for you... I was just asking
    Going from 320x320 to 240x240 is honestly not noticeable at all. I expected it to be, co-workers that have 650's expected the screen to look bad, it doesn't. I don't notice any difference.
    Jimmie Geddes
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I will most certainly do that.
    When I was at the local Sprint store, they had only the 700p on display, and Cingular had the 650. I didn't get to Verizon yet. I don't know what I was thinking when I asked for the pictures... The main feedback I was after (and I am indeed getting it!) -- was longer-term impressions by daily users; not just a short in-the-store exercise, where novelty is likely to affect my judgement.

At this point I think I got my answer.

Thanks again,
    Zevi.
    Here's a picture from Bcalis. Note the 750v has a screen protector and darker theme on.

Surur
    Actually the 750v has the original plastic sheet cover on it. It has a screen protector now. The 750v display is darker, but not as dark as it looks here. The 700p display is really bright. I think the 750v display is a little brighter and whiter than 700w and 700wx devices I've seen. But as you can see the amount of info on each screen isn't radically different. Photos do look nicer on the 700p though.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Honestly, since I need corrective lenses, I think screen resolution and size IS important. I will have to actually use the 750 to see if it's a problem though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    320x320 to 240x240 is a 25% reduction in resolution. It's similar to changing your computer's video resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 (~22% reduction). As others have mentioned, you can compensate by making adjustments to make the size difference less noticeable.

If you hold out, you might get lucky and get an updated 320x320 driver from Palm and MS. Then again, pigs might be flying as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    What type of adjustments for those who need corrective lenses? Besides getting another eye exam and refreshing my prescription, LOL! I don't have a problem looking at a 320x240 screen, but I do wonder about a 240x240.

Font boldness and clarity is probably what I need, unless the fonts are thick enough already.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If I change my computers resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 it's very noticeable, going from 320x320 to 240 x 240 is not noticeable. I'd be the first to tell you if there was a noticeable difference. Remember when we all made the move from 160x160 to say 320 x 320, or 320 x 240 it was very noticeable, 240 x 240 vs 320 x 320 is NOT noticeable, I know the #'s make you think it is, but try it out and you'll see. 240 x 240 (700w,wx,750v) does not look low res compared to (680,700p,680) 320 x 320. I think it has to do with the shape of the screen and the way WM GUI is, I thought I'd notice it for sure, and I don't, both look great and the same.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What type of adjustments for those who need corrective lenses? Besides getting another eye exam and refreshing my prescription, LOL! I don't have a problem looking at a 320x240 screen, but I do wonder about a 240x240.

Font boldness and clarity is probably what I need, unless the fonts are thick enough already.
    if 240x320 works for you, so will 240x240. The size of the fonts/pics doesn't change, you just lose 80 pixels at the bottom of the screen.
    I need opinions on readabilty of info and web pages from those who wear glasses or contacts, please. I need that first and foremost, photos I don't care about as much.

Another thing to remember is that by default WM scroll bars are much bigger than necessary, registry edits, or 700wx hacks found here:
    http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc670...App.aspx?ID=41

lets you change the size of the scroll bars among other things. It's a great piece of software and it's free.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast