Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I've used WM5 before, but never enough to purchase something for it. This time might be different.

    The biggest unknown for me is backup software. It comes with Sprite backup. I also see Spb Backup. Which is better and why? Reliablity is #1. I'd like something like Backupman on Palm OS. I want a nightly scheduled backup with 2 backups kept and the ability to many as many or as few manual backups. Sprite backup allows a maximum number but I get the feeling it doesn't distinguish between a manual and an automatic backup.

    Any recommendations based on actual usage and experience?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2.    #2  
    Also anyone using Memmaid? Good, bad? Is it really necessary or just an easier way to get at the cleanup functions?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3. #3  
    I've been using Sprite Backup and find it very reliable (I've full restored after hard resets many times). I also like that I can restore certain files , like a selective restore.
    Jimmie Geddes
  4. #4  
    I really like Newsbreak. It's probably my favorite application on WM5.

    http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/newsbreak.htm

    I will have to check out the backup options you guys mentioned.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  5. #5  
    One of my favorte apps is newscopier. It's a great rss reader, and it's FREE.

    http://www.maximumsoft.com/products/.../overview.html
    Jimmie Geddes
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    One of my favorte apps is newscopier. It's a great rss reader, and it's FREE.

    http://www.maximumsoft.com/products/.../overview.html
    I was looking at that app. I remember you posting it before. It looks a lot like Newsbreak but FREE. I will check it out.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  7. #7  
    Yeah it's a great application, and I'm so surprised that it's free. You can also store all of the channels on your SD, or miniSD card which is very nice, anything that saves space is good
    Jimmie Geddes
  8. #8  
    Looks like SPB just released a RSS reader as well.

    http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/insight/?en
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  9. ms8
    ms8 is offline
    ms8's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    #9  
    I travel a great deal, so Worldmate Pro and Zagat to Go....fun apps.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    Looks like SPB just released a RSS reader as well.

    http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/insight/?en
    I am currently using A6 Times which really formats my feeds nicely into newspaper format. However, I like what Insight offers, supposedly bringing full stories (not just blurbs) to the device. For times when I am in the subway with no signal, that could come in handy.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  11.    #11  
    Here's a software related question. I had tried a few alarm clock programs and then removed them. One was Spb Time. When I turned the phone on I got a notification error could not start \Windows\Spb Time.exe. Soft resetting made no difference. I was thinking of hard reseting and starting again (a big chore) but decided to give Memmaid a try. It found and removed a "dangling notification".

    So a few questions. Can I be sure that there isn't something else messed up by Spb Time (I have no idea why it would want to start when the phone comes on). Whose fault is this? Bad software? Bad uninstaller? Microsoft? Why doesn't a remove software do this cleanly?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Here's a software related question. I had tried a few alarm clock programs and then removed them. One was Spb Time. When I turned the phone on I got a notification error could not start \Windows\Spb Time.exe. Soft resetting made no difference. I was thinking of hard reseting and starting again (a big chore) but decided to give Memmaid a try. It found and removed a "dangling notification".

    So a few questions. Can I be sure that there isn't something else messed up by Spb Time (I have no idea why it would want to start when the phone comes on). Whose fault is this? Bad software? Bad uninstaller? Microsoft? Why doesn't a remove software do this cleanly?
    Ah you have found WM's nasty little secret - the uninstall blows! Just like it's big brother, Windows for the desktop, the uninstall process does leave junk around after a uninstall.

    I would recommend investing in SKTools. SK has the most complete uninstall process that I have ever used on a Pocket PC. I have found SK to be so complete, that I think it's worth the price alone for just the uninstall component.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  13.    #13  
    So that's the software at http://s-k-tools.com/ ?

    Do you uninstall directly with this instead of the remove programs app? Which is better, SK Tools or Memmaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Ah you have found WM's nasty little secret - the uninstall blows! Just like it's big brother, Windows for the desktop, the uninstall process does leave junk around after a uninstall.

    I would recommend investing in SKTools. SK has the most complete uninstall process that I have ever used on a Pocket PC. I have found SK to be so complete, that I think it's worth the price alone for just the uninstall component.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  14. #14  
    Going back to the back-up software - is it necessary due to the fact that after a hard reset the settings such as speed dial etc. are gone forever and cannot be restored through a synchronisation as is the case with the palm based version? Or is there some other reason why a back-up would help (as opposed to a sync).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    So that's the software at http://s-k-tools.com/ ?

    Do you uninstall directly with this instead of the remove programs app? Which is better, SK Tools or Memmaid?
    Exactly. I own both SK and MemMaid. I prefer MemMaid's interface over SKTools but like I said the uninstall component of SK makes it worth the purchase.

    Going back to the back-up software - is it necessary due to the fact that after a hard reset the settings such as speed dial etc. are gone forever and cannot be restored through a synchronisation as is the case with the palm based version? Or is there some other reason why a back-up would help (as opposed to a sync).
    Sync only takes care of your PIM data (contacts, events, tasks, email, etc) and whatever files you may have in your My Documents folder. Sync does not take care of all the application settings, installed programs, registry, specific files outside of My Documents, etc.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  16.    #16  
    Could be but I tried the clean up part of SK and although it seemed to go fine, the Treo was truly messed up. Turning the phone on and off had no sound. And the data couldn't connect any more.

    I had a backup from right before using it, but decided to do a hard reset and reinstall pieces with multiple saved backups.

    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Exactly. I own both SK and MemMaid. I prefer MemMaid's interface over SKTools but like I said the uninstall component of SK makes it worth the purchase.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Could be but I tried the clean up part of SK and although it seemed to go fine, the Treo was truly messed up. Turning the phone on and off had no sound. And the data couldn't connect any more.

    I had a backup from right before using it, but decided to do a hard reset and reinstall pieces with multiple saved backups.
    Actually, it's funny you should mention that. I mentioned that I own both. I use MemMaid for clean-up purposes and SK for uninstalling applications.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)

Posting Permissions