Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I was just wondering. I have PocketBreeze loaded, along with WisBar.

Those are the only two applications I believe that are in memory.

I start the day with 99% battery life and at about noon im down to 78% without even using the phone for more than 5 minutes.

Any suggestions on what to check, or something I can do to help that?

Thanks,

~J
    At noon, I'm down to 50%. My battery is defective.
    If bluetooth is on it will use more juice.

I bought the Seido extra battery with the external charger, and now I don't worry about it.

Trio
    Outlook auto-syncing is a battery hog (not exchange activesync, but outlook automatic send/receive).

Bluetooth is a hog.

Disabling beam receive helps.

Wireless Sync wastes battery IMO.

Running background programs waste battery.

Leaving the screen on with high brightness doesn't help. I have mine set high, but make sure I shut it off the screen when I'm not using the phone.

Fringe areas kill the battery. If you are constantly going back and forth between 1x and EV your battery is going to drain REAL fast.

There are others, I'm sure, but thats all I can think of right now and I'm going to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Outlook auto-syncing is a battery hog (not exchange activesync, but outlook automatic send/receive).

Bluetooth is a hog.

Disabling beam receive helps.

Wireless Sync wastes battery IMO.

Running background programs waste battery.

Leaving the screen on with high brightness doesn't help. I have mine set high, but make sure I shut it off the screen when I'm not using the phone.

Fringe areas kill the battery. If you are constantly going back and forth between 1x and EV your battery is going to drain REAL fast.

There are others, I'm sure, but thats all I can think of right now and I'm going to sleep.
    I need to clear up a few things here:

Not that turning off BT is a bad idea if not using it, but I think it's an overstatement to say it's a hog.

On average, BT uses 2 milliAmps and when not in use (e.g. not in an active phone call) it's barely noticable. This only adds 1-2% of battery life over the entire day, 6% on the high end.

Menneisyys says:

All in all, if you need Bluetooth a lot and find it very tiring to always en- and disable the Bluetooth to conserve battery power, you may rejoice: always enabling it doesn't consume much power on any of new (WM5) Pocket PC (Phone Edition) device.
    Beam is even less.

Likewise, having programs running in the background does not ipso facto result in more battery usage. This is ONLY true if the apps you are running are using the CPU (like a media player playing music or skype). SImply leaving Resco Explorer, Outlook, Word, etc. in the background will have NO effect on battery. If the device is 99.9% idle, that is all that matters when in standby.

Activesync/Push consumes just shy of 3% of battery per hour. Not bad, not great.

Bright screen is hands down the BIGGEST drain on battery--turn it DOWN and have it time off in 30s or less. Have the device standby in 1 min or less.

Windows Mobile Team Blog:
    The backlight eats power like a whale eats plankton. "Typical" backlights burn 45 mA. Your phone with the backlight on is probably burning ten times as much power as it does during standby. In other words, every minute you spend with the backlight on is ten minutes less standby time you'll have. If you keep your backlight on continuosly, your 200 hour phone will become a 20 hour phone.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    If going between 1x and EVDO and roaming kills the battery that may explain why my battery life is so bad.

Mine died yesterday after being unplugged for 12 hours, having YahooGo sync every half hour, activesyncing maybe 5 times, making 2-3 short calls, surfing the net for half an hour, updating Ondemand once, and messing around with the programs and settings for maybe an hour total. I didn't play any movies or listen to any music. At least 95% of that time I was in an EVDO area. I have Bluetooth turned off.

My screen brightness is on the halfway mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by jphj44 View Post
    If going between 1x and EVDO and roaming kills the battery that may explain why my battery life is so bad.
    It definitely does. The radio uses more power as it struggles for a better signal. If no signal, it searches for a tower.

The EvDO radio uses more juice in general over 1x. Switching between the two will cause a battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It definitely does. The radio uses more power as it struggles for a better signal. If no signal, it searches for a tower.

The EvDO radio uses more juice in general over 1x. Switching between the two will cause a battery drain.
    You sure? I thought 1x was the bigger hog, especially considering EV is 4 times faster (on avg) in transferring data.

The yahoo auto-sync every 30 mins prob kills the batery too. I noticed a BIG difference when I switched to exchange sync over manual outlook.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    You could run abcPowerMeter on your device to get a sense of how different uses affect your power consumption.

I used this on my 6700 (whose poor battery life was beyond the outer limits of suck-dom ). It worked quite well...
    fyi, when I tried acb on my 700wx it did not work. the measurements were all random numbers and the graph stayed a straight line, so I don't think it is compatibile, which is a shame.

I just tried my extended battery today, and it seems worst than my stock palm battery.. Whats wrong? well today was the first day, and it was BT on all day long. Also there was medium calling and medium internet usage.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    fyi, when I tried acb on my 700wx it did not work. the measurements were all random numbers and the graph stayed a straight line, so I don't think it is compatibile, which is a shame.
    Well, I should have known - I didn't actually try it on the Treo. Perhaps I give it a shot too, jfg...

By the way, I did purchase the Seidio extended battery. I wouldn't say the difference is dramatic, but I certainly does extend the life. Between that and my powered car cradle, I haven't dropped below 50% in weeks...
    Quote Originally Posted by osva View Post
    I just tried my extended battery today, and it seems worst than my stock palm battery.. Whats wrong? well today was the first day, and it was BT on all day long. Also there was medium calling and medium internet usage.
    like all LiON batteries, you need to give a few charges before it reaches it's max potential. I noticed mine took about 1-2 weeks of charging before it made a real difference.

like all LiON batteries, you need to give a few charges before it reaches it's max potential. I noticed mine took about 1-2 weeks of charging before it made a real difference.
    Ok i'll see what happens after a few weeks.
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to disable Yahoo and see how that helps.
    Did disabling Yahoo work any?
    It sure did. I now just sync it manually a couple times a day and get through the day just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jphj44 View Post
    It sure did. I now just sync it manually a couple times a day and get through the day just fine.
    Another thing you can do is have yahoo forward a copy of all emails to your alphaname@sprintpcs.com address. In the sprint webmail settings you can elect notification of new emails by text page. (they might call it notification by phone)

Then when you get an email, you get a nice text from sprint saying you have new email from xxxsender re xxxtopic. At that point you know to pull mail from yahoos servers. You even have an idea of what the mail is.

The best part is that Sprint does not charge for these text messages. They are not used against your allotment.

No new text pages from sprint= no reason to ping your mail server.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Two things to keep in mind if you are going to do the above;

1: Be sure to delete the mail on sprint server occasionally. If not it will fill up and you will stop receiving alerts.

2. There is a 2mb limit on spintpcs.com mail. If the message yahoo is forwarding is 2mb or more than you will not receive notification.

Besides that it is a solid solution.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2