Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ok, I found this on the Palm Forum website. It indicates that Palm Windows devices are able to download from the contacts using Cingular. So this is not necessarily a Palm issue???

"Here's why I'm scratching my head. I have a BMW 550 and when I first synched up my Cingular 650 all the hands free functions worked: voice activation, dialing from the screen, selecting synched contacts, etc. The dealer did tell me that one problem with the 650 was that those commands wouldn't work with any numbers I had stored as speed dial. I said fine, no problem.

A couple of months ago the ability to dial OUT using these handsfree functions stopped working. So now I can receive a call and talk, no problem. But to make an outbound call I have to dial it directly from the Treo to get it to work handsfree.

Of course, I went to the dealership who said it was a Cingular problem, they couldn't find anything wrong. Cingular told me I'd have to contact Palm directly."
    The 650 only syncs the favorites (speed dials) not the full contacts. Don't believe everything everyone posts. If you ask that person directly I'm sure they will tell you it's the favorites.

That's just the way it is. I've done this more times than I can count. If you choose not to believe this, fine. But try it and you will that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Drest View Post
    Ok, I found this on the Palm Forum website. It indicates that Palm Windows devices are able to download from the contacts using Cingular. So this is not necessarily a Palm issue???

"Here's why I'm scratching my head. I have a BMW 550 and when I first synched up my Cingular 650 all the hands free functions worked: voice activation, dialing from the screen, selecting synched contacts, etc. The dealer did tell me that one problem with the 650 was that those commands wouldn't work with any numbers I had stored as speed dial. I said fine, no problem.

A couple of months ago the ability to dial OUT using these handsfree functions stopped working. So now I can receive a call and talk, no problem. But to make an outbound call I have to dial it directly from the Treo to get it to work handsfree.

Of course, I went to the dealership who said it was a Cingular problem, they couldn't find anything wrong. Cingular told me I'd have to contact Palm directly."
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Bcaslis, Are you able to voice dial even though the contacts dont transfer. In other words, will the voice dial function recognize a contact in the phone even though the contact doesnt show up on the Idrive screen? Thanks for your help
    Mine doesn't have iDrive. On mine you have to record your voice to do the voice dialing in the car. So it doesn't pass the voice command to the Treo so the Treo can't lookup from its contacts.
    Just wanted to reiterate that on my E39 5 Series ( UK 2001 ) using the very lastest ULF ( that has voice but no assist ) my Treo won't even sync Favourites what ever I do.

Even tried that software posted earlier but makes no difference

Si
    I tried a Nokia E61 and an HTC TyTN a couple of months ago (Symbian and WM5). Neither of them would sync any contacts at all. However a Verizon Motorola Q (WM5 smartphone) sync all it's contacts.
    Now thats weird cause my make has a T-Mobile Vario II ( I think thats a TyTN ) and this synced fine.

I think the ULF's in our cars are very different hence we are seeing different results

Si
    Just to follow-up. The bluetooth connection has been giving me fits the past month. Sometimes it works, sometimes it connects but goes into a connect/searching loop, sometimes it looks connected but disconnects on a call, etc..

I had seen before that my contacts in the speed dial only got the number transferred right if I removed all formatting from the number (no spaces,-,or parenthesis). I had done this for a few number but didn't want to do for them all.

So today I decided to try removing all speed dials where the number formatting hasn't been removed. Everything worked fine for two different trys. Then I removed the formatting for three more number, added them to the speed dials, and now everything has worked fine for three different times in the car.

I've never gotten the 750v to work correctly with the car three times in a row since I got it almost two months ago. So it looks like this may be the source of my problems. My next step is to remove all the formatting from all the numbers and try it for a few more days. I was ready to move to the Treo 680 but if this works I probably won't. The 680 does still work better with the BMW (shows signal strength and updates it regularly) but I was at my wits end with the 750 until today. It had been messing up every single time it connected. I wanted to post this in case the info helps someone else out with a similar problem.
    Please let us know how it turns out. I am waiting for the Cingular version of the 750 but this BMW issue gives me pause. Thanks.
    Well I was up to four connects with no problems after changing all the contacts to remove all formatting from the numbers. I decided to make the ultimate test, get in, connect and drive, stop, get out (use ATM) and get back in shortly after. It has ever worked OK for this before. Unfortunately it didn't this time either, when into it's connected then searching for paired devices loop. Soft reset, seemed to connect but the dreaded no audio problem when making a call. Soft reset again and it finally hooked back up correctly.

So, I'm utterly frustrated. It's clear the bluetooth stack in the 750v is a buggy piece of s**t when using it with some car systems. Seems to work OK with the headset I've tried, but that's not a great solution.

If only this would work, I'd transition to the dark side (WM5). As it is I need to think about it. Most frustrating is the 680 seems to work perfectly with the car, has linked up every time and evens shows and updates the signal strength display correctly.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm deciding today on a new 3 series coupe and it won't have the navigation system. I would get it but the car is already on the lot without it and they have only been able to find me one 6M transmission car so I will probably take it. It has the BT (along with all kinds of sat. radio stuff I don't even want) and I hope it will work with my phone. I don't care too much about loading contacts but will it allow me to answer and receive calls with my iPAQ 6915? Contacts would be a plus, I guess, but I don't talk often in the car anyways so it probably won't matter to me.

I currently have the E39 and didn't get the bluetooth so this is going to be new to me in the car.

On the subject of the navigation, is it even worth it in the BMW? My father's new X5 never seems to show the street we're on, as if we were off-road or something, yet my phone is still giving turn by turn directions. His GPS certainly pinpoints are location well but it just doesn't seem to be able to give directions or show a detailed map (am I asking too much to want it to show things like streets and locations??).
    Your Ipaq 6915 should work fine with your new 3 series, I have a HW6915 and this works fine with my E39 Bluetooth. I think the newer models have a slightly different ( maybe more advanced ) bluetooth system so this should be even better if that possible.

The Ipaq syncs contacts, receives and makes calls but I don't think you can read text messages but I could be wrong as I don't think I ever checked.

Your points are very true about the failings of the BMW SatNav system and no one would argue that TomTom is not far superior in every way. Having said that when you have the lasted firmware and disc it's pretty good as a built in alternative. God knows who would pay about 2500 ( $5k ) for a nav system from new that can't behave better than a dash board plug on for a tenth of that cost.

If you 3 is a new one won't have the newer sat nav system than the one in your dad's X5 ( the X5 one is the same as in the E39 which I assume you don't have ? )

Si
    On my BMW and Treo 650 you can transfer numbers other than the Speed Dial (or Favorite) entries, but only sort of. First some background on BMW bluetooth. Keep in mind this is gleaned from my experiences and reading many forum entries on many sites and is not definitive. It also is probably more valid for 3/5/Z/X series cars, I don't know about 7 series (at least newer ones).

There are 2 types of BMW bluetooth systems. Older cars (how old depends on the model) had Assist and no bluetooth. Assist is BMWs version of On-Star. To get bluetooth you (generally) and to remove the Assist module (the electronic brain, often in the trunk) and install a retrofit Bluetooth only module. These bluetooth modules are made by Visteon and are called a ULF. Newer BMWs have a different electronic brain made by Motorola and can do both Assist and Bluetooth. This module is generally referred to as a TCU. For both ULFs and TCUs there are numerous version numbers, each with (generally) increasing compatibility with larger number of phones. For example the Visteon ULF is on the 10th generation and the Motorola TCU has 4 or more generations. To complicate matters the Motorola TCU has CDMA and GSM versions (CDMA TCUs are generally found in US BMWs and GSM ones in European BMWs). Another difference is that the Visteon ULFs have a separate bluetooth pairing button that you have to hold down when you start the car to initially pair the phone (installed under the armrest in my 330i). The Motorola units do not have a separate pairing button.

If you have factory bluetooth in your BMW, it is almost guaranteed to be the Motorola Assist/Bluetooth TCU. If your system was upgraded to bluetooth by the dealer (still official BMW bluetooth, but not installed when the car was built) it is probably a Visteon ULF, though more recently BMW has released Service Bulletins on how to upgrade to a Motorola TCU (though they are $$$).

Another confusing point is that the Visteon ULF (and probably the Motorola TCU) have 2 different phonebooks. There is the one that can be transferred from your phone and shows up listed on your radio or Nav display. This is sync'd via bluetooth. Then you can also enter number by voice command. This is stored independently of the bluetooth phonebook. For the Visteon ULF modules the voice phonebook and the Bluetooth phonebook are completely independent. You can't dial the bluetooth phonebook via voice commands. You can only dial numbers via voice commands that you have stored via voice commands; the voice commands do not dial entries in your phone's phonebook application. The voice command just sends a string of numbers to the phone and tells the phone to dial those numbers. I would guess the Motorola TCU operates similarly, but I don't know for sure. I do know that the Motorola voice recognition software is quite different than the Visteon software and can control different aspects of the car and has different features (male versus female voice, voice memo function, Nav voice control, etc).

I have a 6th generation Visteon ULF (part number: 84 10 6 955 522) installed in my 2004 330i. The Assist module was removed to install this bluetooth module. I eventually upgraded to a 6th generation ULF because the dealer originally installed the 1st generation Visteon ULF (84 21 6 934 552) which is widely acknowledged to have poor compatibility with many phones (including mine at the time).

I now have a Verizon Treo 650 (Palm OS). For many BMW bluetooth systems this will only transfer the numbers listed as "Favorites" in the Phone application (also called Speed Dial entries). For my situation, the Favorites number DO NOT transfer from my Treo 650 automatically; even with just numbers in the entries (no spaces, "." or "-" or extra digits). BUT interestingly if I put the ULF in bluetooth pairing mode by holding down the pairing button when I start the car (and keeping it held down for ~3 seconds after I start the car) the system goes into pairing mode (and says something like "BT Pairing" on the radio display). Then I use the Treo PhoneBook's "Send" function under the Record menu (not "Beam") to send either a contact or a category of contacts, choose Bluetooth as the method, and then choose the BMW ULF from the nearby devices list, the contact (or entire category of contacts) is sent to the BMW phonebook.

Here's the rub: I send about 20 that I have defined in a special category ("CarContacts") in the Phonebook application. The ULF in my car only keeps this list of contacts for about 3-5 days and then it forgets them and I have to do it again.

I don't know if this technique will work with the newer Motorola TCUs units, but it is worth trying. I don't know the specific pairing sequence for the Motorola TCUs so it might take some fiddling to see if the "Send" function in the Treo Phonebook application has to be used when the Motorola TCU is actively in pairing mode.
    My problem is really transferring contacts but getting the da** bluetooth on the Treo not to hose up. Just constant problems with the 750v. I'm trying a Blackberry Pearl and it works flawlessly with the BMW bluetooth. And I mean flawless, no problems at all.

The root of the problem is that Palm has always done a half-baked attempt at bluetooth. The problem is theirs to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post

The root of the problem is that Palm has always done a half-baked attempt at bluetooth. The problem is theirs to fix.

Almost all the US producers are hostile (and no skilled) with bluetooth, simply
    because is an European technology.

M$ relkased the BT stack only with the sp2, motorola has a crappy and non standard bt support, intel is still working on the usb wireless standard, palm is still living with a patchy bt stack on both palmos and wm.

If you want a real BT support the only choice is Sonyericson. And some but not all Nokia models.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    And MS's BT fix is "supposedly" on AKU3+, so the LEAST we can hope for is a ROM upgrade from our manufacturers.
    Yes, but AKU3+ removes bluetooth DUN with bluetooth PAN among other things which has it's own set of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    And MS's BT fix is "supposedly" on AKU3+, so the LEAST we can hope for is a ROM upgrade from our manufacturers.
    This is a bit off topic from the 750v, but pertinent to the general issue of Treo Bluetooth with BMWs. I have both a 700p and a 650 and I bought the 650 after the 700p. Why the 650 purchased after the 700p you ask? Well, the 700p came from work and is completely spastic with the Bluetooth in my BMW (see earlier post). It pairs, but when you make a call, the Treo shuts the sound off and thinks it's sending it to the car but the car never picks up the sound, it just gets lost in the Bluetooth vapor bit bucket somewhere. Even more interesting is that sometimes the 700p Bluetooth completely locks up the Bluetooth box in the BMW so the audio system gets stuck on phone and won't switch back to the radio or CD. Stuck even for hours with the car (and Treo) shut off!! Eventually it comes back but it can take a surprising amount of time.

Palm is quoted as saying there is Bluetooth fix for the 700p coming in early in 2007 and a ROM upgrade late 1st quarter 2007, but I think they must have only 1 programmer left. When was the last time they upgraded the Palm Desktop software significantly? 5 years ago?

Anyway, I bought a used Treo 650 on ebay because the Bluetooth works in my car and I actually use my cell phone there quite a bit and handsfree is the way to go.
    Yes, the 650 (after the last firmware update) is the best Treo for bluetooth. Every model since then (700p, 700w, 700wx, 750v) has significant bluetooth problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes, the 650 (after the last firmware update) is the best Treo for bluetooth. Every model since then (700p, 700w, 700wx, 750v) has significant bluetooth problems.

I don't have a BMW but have a Parrot 3100 in two cars and I totally agree. The 650 worked flawlessly, just like my v3 does (both from Verizon and Cingular). The 750v is awful and the 680 is problematci too requireing frequent repairing. I'm almost thinking of going to a separate voice phone. If so, I may ditch the Treo for a BB.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast