Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1.    #101  
    There are other threads here that talk about the Blackberry Connect software. More than one person has it working, although it sounds like there are a few issues with it.

With no other apps running, the speed is similar to the 700w. With more apps running, speed is better since the 750v has more application memory. Speed is basically like the 700wx. For the fastest speed though, a 700p or 650 is still slightly faster since it isn't multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    is it noticably faster then the treo 700w?
    does it allow blackberry service on it? or similair?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    There are other threads here that talk about the Blackberry Connect software. More than one person has it working, although it sounds like there are a few issues with it.

With no other apps running, the speed is similar to the 700w. With more apps running, speed is better since the 750v has more application memory. Speed is basically like the 700wx. For the fastest speed though, a 700p or 650 is still slightly faster since it isn't multitasking.

The 700w was so slow that practically everyone i know switched back to palm os. so if i use 1-2 applications it's still very slow?
  3.    #103  
    No, it's very reasonable unless you have a lot of apps running or an app that hogs the CPU. I've tried the 700w and with one or two apps it was fine. It was when you opened more apps it slowed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    The 700w was so slow that practically everyone i know switched back to palm os. so if i use 1-2 applications it's still very slow?
    The more I think (and wait for it's release...), the more skeptical I'm getting regarding the move from the 650 to the 750: all the current (Palm and WM) Treos use 320MHz Intel, but the new 750 uses a slower Samsung 300Mhz. My experiance with computers indicate that newer models ALWAYS take more horsepower to run. That's just how it is; I have never seen a newer model that works as fast as an older model with a slower processor.

So, although it's a big winner on the form-factor front, on the speed front (and I admit that this is based on theory only -- I haven't had a chance to lay my hand on a 750 yet), it appears the 750 may be on the losing side. (But I still find it hard to imagine the 750 being slower than the 650...)

I am not sure what it means to have applications that run in the background (as opposed to quit them): when I use my Palm, I switch between contacts, calendar, and the phone - I guess I re-launch these each time, right? How does it work in the WM -- they are left running in the background? And if I choose to quit them each time to avoid slowing down -- how significant is the time difference between quit/re-launch and switching between applications in the background ?

Thanks,
    Zevi
  5.    #105  
    It's clear that you will need to try it yourself. But be honest the difference between 300MHz and 320MHz less than 1 percent. Have you ever used two computers with less than 1 percent in their clocks speeds and been able to tell a difference? Without a stopwatch no.

WM5 apps launch slower than Palm OS apps. Period. But you can leave them running if you use them often so switching to them is faster. The 750v has enough memory to leave apps running if you want as opposed to the 700w which really doesn't for more than 1 or 2 big apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevi View Post
    The more I think (and wait for it's release...), the more skeptical I'm getting regarding the move from the 650 to the 750: all the current (Palm and WM) Treos use 320MHz Intel, but the new 750 uses a slower Samsung 300Mhz. My experiance with computers indicate that newer models ALWAYS take more horsepower to run. That's just how it is; I have never seen a newer model that works as fast as an older model with a slower processor.

So, although it's a big winner on the form-factor front, on the speed front (and I admit that this is based on theory only -- I haven't had a chance to lay my hand on a 750 yet), it appears the 750 may be on the losing side. (But I still find it hard to imagine the 750 being slower than the 650...)

I am not sure what it means to have applications that run in the background (as opposed to quit them): when I use my Palm, I switch between contacts, calendar, and the phone - I guess I re-launch these each time, right? How does it work in the WM -- they are left running in the background? And if I choose to quit them each time to avoid slowing down -- how significant is the time difference between quit/re-launch and switching between applications in the background ?

Thanks,
    Zevi
    I thought the processor was a 312mhz intel in the current treos, not a 320mhz. Regardless, its still immaterial. They're also different chips. I remember samsung had its 200mhz chip in some ipaqs and they came close to the performance of the 400mhz intel chips at the same time. Samsung processors seem to be more efficient and just as effective as their intel counterparts, even if the intels have a slightly higher clock speed.

Oh, and 20mhz is a 6-7% difference
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    The V is definitely a bit more sluggish that the WX. I have them both right now. There is even a slight pause when you turn it on. Plus the V has almost 8 MB of memory less to run programs which is a pretty sizable chunk. Why do they take 2 steps forward in one direction and one step backwards in another?

Joe
    Yes, well -- the Samsung indeed seems to have more "horespower per MHz" that Intel, but it's still slower.

Not to be picky, but when you look at MobilityGuru's evaluation of iPaq H1940 (with Samsung 266 Mhz,
    http://www.mobilityguru.com/2004/01/...esn/page8.html, the chart at the end shows that the iPaq 2215 (with Intel 400) is faster, but not as fast as the ratio 400/266 may indicate.

So, I'd expect the 750v to be slower than the 700w/wx by 5-6% (instead of the 6-7% that the processors ratio may indicate).

Another thing that works against the more efficient Samsung processor is the battery life: the above tests showed significant shorter battery life (which you'd expect from the more "horsepower-efficient" processor).

Also, I agree with jpasint's comment above: shortage of memory will definitely impact the speed/running applications; However, I'm not sure that I understand how much less memory the 750 has: the specs for the 700w say 128 Mb, but all the specs for the 750 say "60Mb built-in, flash shared memory" -- how much additional "other" memory it has?

Zevi
  9.    #109  
    Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Oh, and 20mhz is a 6-7% difference
  10.    #110  
    The memory being discussed is application execution memory available to apps from the system after restarting. The 700w has about 23MB, the 700wx has about 56MB (sorry, don't remember exactly), the 750v has about 48MB. Palm doesn't really list this in their specs, the memory they are showing is really the storage memory which is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevi View Post
    Also, I agree with jpasint's comment above: shortage of memory will definitely impact the speed/running applications; However, I'm not sure that I understand how much less memory the 750 has: the specs for the 700w say 128 Mb, but all the specs for the 750 say "60Mb built-in, flash shared memory" -- how much additional "other" memory it has?

Zevi
    The memory being discussed is application execution memory available to apps from the system after restarting. The 700w has about 23MB, the 700wx has about 56MB (sorry, don't remember exactly), the 750v has about 48MB. Palm doesn't really list this in their specs, the memory they are showing is really the storage memory which is different.
    23MB on the W? Man I could not deal with a memory budget like that..

For the record, reported from my WX and V:

On my V: Storage: 66.18 Program: 49.10

On my WX: Storage: 62.92 Program: 57.45
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    The V is definitely a bit more sluggish that the WX. I have them both right now. There is even a slight pause when you turn it on. Plus the V has almost 8 MB of memory less to run programs which is a pretty sizable chunk. Why do they take 2 steps forward in one direction and one step backwards in another?

Joe
    Joe,

I'm with you on the program memory

I don't notice any difference in speed between the two models that I own (V and WX). I use the same performance tweaks for both, and the same programs and today plugins. At first I thought the 750v was slower than my wx but forgot to tweak the registry on the V. I don't get the delay/pause you get when turning on the V compared to the WX. I guess YMMV when testing them together. I guess only a benchmark program could tell us each model's overall system performance...

But, hey, I'm having a fun time the 750v! So I'm not going to complain...
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
  13.    #113  
    Sometimes I see a pause when turning the 750v on and sometimes I don't. So I don't think it's a general speed issue, but something executing in the background.

Now if you really wanting to see pausing get a 700p...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Sometimes I see a pause when turning the 750v on and sometimes I don't. So I don't think it's a general speed issue, but something executing in the background.

Now if you really wanting to see pausing get a 700p...

Been there done that. I miss BUTLER!!!!!

Joe
    Any Update on how WiFi is working on the 750v ?
  16.    #116  
    Other people have reported it working. I've found that there are bugs in either the card driver or the card hardware so gave up on it. I wasn't worth the time to me to deal with it.
    bcaslis, what kind of BMW do you have? Im planing on getting a 750v but I want to make sure its compatible with my car first.
  18.    #118  
    I have a 2006 330i, with the BMW assist (which includes bluetooth) but without the navigation package (iDrive).

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    bcaslis, what kind of BMW do you have? Im planing on getting a 750v but I want to make sure its compatible with my car first.
    I have a 2006 330i, with the BMW assist (which includes bluetooth) but without the navigation package (iDrive).
    Oh ok, I have an 06 330xi With BMW assist + BlueTooth aswell as iDrive, how is it playing with your beemer?
  20.    #120  
    As I've said in a number of posts it stinks. I will pair and transfer over speed dials (only). However most of the time when it looks like it has connected, it's really not working. Trying to make or receive a call sends it into a "searching for paired devices" loop, turning on the phone manually has huge lags and then it dials but car doesn't know it. Sometimes it works OK, but no audio on the car or phone. And sometimes (the minority) it works fine. Basically whenever I get into the car I have to soft reset to get a working connection. Sometimes it can take two or three soft resets. It would actually be better if it didn't work, as it is you think it's working until you actually try to do something. Typical Microsoft competence level.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Oh ok, I have an 06 330xi With BMW assist + BlueTooth aswell as iDrive, how is it playing with your beemer?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456