Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/17/2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added Link to HandOff Thread
    Just call me Berd.
  2.    #62  
    Ah, I thought you meant the car stereo. I have used the 750v next to my laptop when the phone is on and haven't noticed any buzzing. But this isn't something I've extensively tested either.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Is there a technical reason why Palm continues to use the 2.5 vs. 3.5 mm jack?
  4.    #64  
    Yes, all phone earjacks use 2.5mm. It's considered a phone first.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Is it true that when you get UMTS (Voice/Data) that it doesn't put out that stereo/radio speaker interference noice we get with gsm?
    absolutely true, GSM's buzz popping has to do with the time division of the signal waves, whereas WCDMA is divided by codes and doesn't cause the same interference. For reference, cdma2k systems don't have speaker interference either
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    So that's why my speakers pick up strange noise every time my phones ring!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Since the treo as far back as the 650 has bluetooth which can be used for headset, I would think it makes sense to use a 3.5 mm jack for using the mp3 and other audio features. It sure is a pain to always find a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    For those of you trying evaluate CTI-Miami, they are listed on eBay as ctimiami and have a great track record.
  9.    #69  
    Review Part 3 (Day 3 10/17/06)

Today I had no problems with the BMW/Treo bluetooth connection. It was able to send receive calls fine. I did find that the speed dials transferred to the BMW were not working. Basically it looks like any number with a space (which are all my numbers, format +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx)) aren't getting transferred properly. It looks like the number that got transferred was only "+1" based on the Treo call log. I have had an issue with this with any Palm OS Treo. I edited one of the numbers for the call home and removed the () characters but it still didn't work. It looks like the space may be the problem. I've edited some of the speed dial numbers to remove spaces, I'll test this tomorrow to see if it works.

In terms of reception so far it seems fine. I don't have something to do a direct comparison to, but the signal seems at least as good as a Nokia E61 I used about two months ago in the same area. Reception quality seems better on UMTS and according to two people I've talked to, they say it sounds better than a CDMA signal on a Treo 700p.

I do see that the UMTS signal drops much more rapidly inside a building than the Verizon CDMA signal does. I can have full strength outside, but 30 feet inside the building the UMTS signal is very low (even though the GSM is full strength). This causes the Treo to switch a lot between UMTS and GSM at my desk. I don't know how this affects battery but I assume it can't be good.

Battery life seems about on par for the Treo 700p but less than the Treo 650. This isn't surprising. CDMA phones work harder on a low signal to try to maintain the quality. I think UMTS is similar. Additionally UMTS data is going to burn battery just like CDMA EVDO data and that matches what I've seen. Today I spent more time on the Treo and it used more power. The first day, from a full charge in the morning it went to 20% by 5pm (note if voice command is on, at this level the Treo says "low battery"). Today I went from a full charge in the morning to 12% at 5pm. But I was doing alot more web browsing today and a little use of the Treo as a wireless modem. To be honest the same amount of usage on a 700p would have gotten me to a similar level. So, I think 650 owners might be somewhat disappointed but that's the cost of 3G. I don't think I've mentioned it before, but the keyboard always dims after 10 seconds from the last key press even if the screen is on. There doesn't seem to be any setting to change this.

I also bought the new coreplayer software. As a warning, it has severe problems with graphics chip in the treo and messes up or crashes on ANY video. The only solution is to turn off the graphic acceleration using the raw frame buffer setting. You may want to save your $25 on this until it fixed.

Tomorrow I hope to resolve the car problem and more info on battery life. I also will be trying the wifi again to see if I can figure out the problem with it.
    bcaslis,

Are you currently using your 750v on Cingular? If so, are you experiencing any issues with sending/receiving text and MMS messages? I have read in this forum that folks are seeing issues.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  11. tcs
    Switching network between 3G and GSM will drain much of the battery life. And low signal will have same effect as well. It has been mentioned in WM team blog in MSDN last time. Select network manual or if the signal is too weak, switch off phone function if u really need more battery times.
  12.    #72  
    I've sent and received SMS between the 750v and a Verizon number no problem. I sent an MMS to the same number. At first it doesn't seem to have gotten through, but it did eventually. The reply from the Verizon MMS came through very fast. Everything seems to work fine, I did not have to configure anything, I left the messaging settings on auto.

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    bcaslis,

Are you currently using your 750v on Cingular? If so, are you experiencing any issues with sending/receiving text and MMS messages? I have read in this forum that folks are seeing issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I've sent and received SMS between the 750v and a Verizon number no problem. I sent an MMS to the same number. At first it doesn't seem to have gotten through, but it did eventually. The reply from the Verizon MMS came through very fast. Everything seems to work fine, I did not have to configure anything, I left the messaging settings on auto.
    ok, good to know. I was worried about that. thanks.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I clipped this from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Yes, band selection lets you pick Auto, GSM, or UMTS. That should work, I tried it briefly on UMTS only to see if it would stop the switching between UMTS and GSM on a low signal.
    Thought I would ask you over here instead.
    How did it go, having it on UMTS only?
    Just call me Berd.
  15.    #75  
    I only tried it for a little bit since it's clear there are lots of areas with no UMTS. I'll have to turn it back on for a little while and see how it goes. The biggest problem I see is the the UMTS signal seems to rapidly drop inside a building. So until the coverage gets alot better I doubt it's very usable on Cingular with only UMTS.

I switch it over this afternoon for awhile and see how long it last inside at work (where right now it switches back and forth alot).

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I clipped this from another thread.

Thought I would ask you over here instead.
    How did it go, having it on UMTS only?
    I have not really put UMTS to the test yet, but I can say that I get great coverage in the northern suburbs of Chicago inside a high rise office building.
    Brian McGuire
  17.    #77  
    I get great GSM coverage, but UMTS is more spotty. Also the UMTS signal seems to dramatically drop in a building for me. Maybe height helps, at home I can't get UMTS outside or on my first floor, but I can often get it (barely) on my second floor.

Different locations can make a big difference. Along I-5 (the main highway corridor here) I get UMTS with the signal pegged. I just wish I could get a signal like that at work and home.

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    I have not really put UMTS to the test yet, but I can say that I get great coverage in the northern suburbs of Chicago inside a high rise office building.
    All the positive feedback as far as how it looks and feels in the hand has been right on. Made my first calls, sent an SMS, synced with my PC, paired with my Treo BT Headset, now trying to figure out how to set up my Gmail. Anyone do this yet? I prefer to get my email via POP then through a browser. I have POP forwarding set up in my Gmail Account already, just not sure about incoming and outgoing server info.

I am going to have to get used to WM, having been a Palm user since 1999. Also gotta find a real nice case for this, it costs almost as much as my laptop

So, first impressions are very good. WM screen can be a bit small for those with weaker eysight like myself, have to wear my glasses more often. The 650screen was very easy for me to read.

George in Canada
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    All the positive feedback as far as how it looks and feels in the hand has been right on. Made my first calls, sent an SMS, synced with my PC, paired with my Treo BT Headset, now trying to figure out how to set up my Gmail. Anyone do this yet? I prefer to get my email via POP then through a browser. I have POP forwarding set up in my Gmail Account already, just not sure about incoming and outgoing server info.

I am going to have to get used to WM, having been a Palm user since 1999. Also gotta find a real nice case for this, it costs almost as much as my laptop

So, first impressions are very good. WM screen can be a bit small for those with weaker eysight like myself, have to wear my glasses more often. The 650screen was very easy for me to read.

George in Canada
    Everything you need to set up GMail POP is here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13278
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    So if you don't have 3G in your area you will get EDGE data connections.
    so, if one were to get this phone and use it on t-mo, one will be able to use edge?

Why do you use a progam that continues to reset your phone? why is that backup program doing that?

so, what headset would let you use stereo and have a mic?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast