1.    #1  
    This seems like such an easy task, but I'm having trouble. I've gone into the notifications settings, selected "Phone: Unknown Caller", but the only choice I have is to set an alert beep, not a ring tone. I've set the ringtone for unknown calls before, but for the life of me I can't seem to find where I set it up. Any ideas?! I feel so dumb right now....
    How'd we ever survive before handhelds, PDAs, Smartphones...

THEN...Palm Vx --> Sony Clie PEG-T665C --> Sony Clie TG50 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Treo 700W...NOW
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Sounds like you are in the correct place. When I go there I see the attached screen and can change the ring. Is this not what you see? Can you show us your screen?

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    Sounds like you are in the correct place. When I go there I see the attached screen and can change the ring. Is this not what you see? Can you show us your screen?

Greg
    Thanks for posting the screen shot. I don't know how to capture my screen, so I'll describe it...

Event: Phone: Unknown Caller
    Check box: Play sound: choices are the little lame sounds for alarm beeps, etc.
    Check box: Repeat
    play button stop button
    Check box: Display message on screen
    Check box: Vibrate when ringer switch off
    Check box: Vibrate when ringer switch on

THEN...Palm Vx --> Sony Clie PEG-T665C --> Sony Clie TG50 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Treo 700W...NOW
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I use a program called Capture Screen Utility to capture it on the Treo. Got that from a post on here.

That's weird. As you can see from my screenshot, I don't have the same screen as you do. I see the screen you are describing if I change my event to something like "Reminders". What does your screen look like for "Phone: Known Caller"? Have you tried a soft reset?
  5.    #5  
    My "Phone: Known Caller" looks like your "Unknown Caller" screen, which is the way it's supposed to look. This is so strange - I have not yet come across someone else who has a quirky Unknown Caller notification setup screen. :-( Is there any other ways to set a default ringtone on the 700w?! I know I've set the ringtone before, I just can't figure it out now. I can successfully assign different tones to people in my contact list.

6.    #6  
    P.S. Yes, I just tried a soft reset, and it still looks the same. :-(

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Bummer. Hopefully somebody else will have something for you to try. If not, I would try a hard reset.

Good luck

Greg
  8.    #8  
    Anyone....anyone? There surely has got to be at least one other person who has this problem. I can't be *that* special!!!

So what your saying is when you go to change the ringtone, the options you have are limited? Are they the same as the options for things like "new media message?"
    If this is the case, which I find hard to believe (yes, it would only be you lol) you can "work-around" this by making/converting a WAV ringtone that you like, and saving it in the /Windows directory. Certain notifications only allow you to make wav's the ringtone, but its usually system messages, etc.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    So what your saying is when you go to change the ringtone, the options you have are limited? Are they the same as the options for things like "new media message?"
    This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. It is the VERY SAME screen as for events such as "Messaging: New e-mail message" where I can only choose to "Play Sound" and not select a ringtone. I just looked at my settings again, and my choices are still the same. I will try your workaround to turn the sound file I want to use as a ringtone into a wav. Thank you for the suggestion.

I still have a question.....how the heck did I change the "default" ring for people who aren't in my address book to the classical music melody that it currently plays? I also remember that it used to play a Disney song at one point, but that got tiresome so I changed it to the classical melody. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how I changed the setting!!! This is sooooooo frustrating.

Did you install "phonealarm" or "photo contacts pro?" Sounds like you installed a 3rd party program that controls your ringers.

I've never heard of only being able to set alert beeps for the "unknown caller" setting.

This is the same place where you set your ringer. Under "phone: known caller" and "phone:unknown caller"
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Did you install "phonealarm" or "photo contacts pro?" Sounds like you installed a 3rd party program that controls your ringers.
    Well - I did it. I did a hard reset because this anomaly was bugging the heck out of me, and guess what - my selection for unknown caller is back to the norm! I guess I installed something along the way that messed it up. I'll start adding the stuff back on my phone one-by-one and will check the ringer settings inbetween each install. Thank you for mentioning 3rd party software that may have interfered. I believe you're right on the money!!!