Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    How do I do a factory reset on my Treo? Not a master reset, I want to reset it so it is like I just opened it out of the box and it hasn't been programmed before.

There has to be a way! I tried the master reset, but the phone still had its phone programming.
    Try a hard reset then

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...bj(41108)#hard

How to perform a hard reset

If charging, disconnect your smartphone from its charger.
    Press and hold Power/End . While holding Power/End, use the tip of the stylus to depress and release the RESET button.
    When you see "Erase all data?" release Power/End. Press Up to confirm the hard reset.
    If a language selection screen appears, select the same language you selected for your desktop software.
    I think OP tried a hard already..he/she wants a complete factory reset....

Try this out and let us know if it worked...

From the Treocentral Wiki

Zero Out Reset

The Zero out reset applies only to devices with non-volitale RAM (i.e. the Treo 650 and Treo 700p or Treo 700w/wx). It is designed to overwrite all of your data with random data to help protect it should you sell your Treo. Be absolutely positive your data is backed up before attempting this as it will be impossible to recover anything from the phone afterwards.

1. connect your Treo to the Hotysnc cable. Make sure the Treo is fully charged.

2. Press the power button while holding down "Up" on the 5-way and press the Hotsync button on the hotsync cable.

3. While holding down those three buttons, press the Reset button. Yes - this is going to ve very awkward, but Palm has done that intentionally.

4. Your Treo will appear to be dead for several minuts - possibly up to 15 minutes. After it reboots your data should be entirely erased.
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    Quote Originally Posted by olywogle View Post

Zero Out Reset

The Zero out reset applies only to devices with non-volitale RAM (i.e. the Treo 650 and Treo 700p or Treo 700w/wx). It is designed to overwrite all of your data with random data to help protect it should you sell your Treo. Be absolutely positive your data is backed up before attempting this as it will be impossible to recover anything from the phone afterwards.

2. Press the power button while holding down "Up" on the 5-way and press the Hotsync button on the hotsync cable.

3. While holding down those three buttons, press the Reset button. Yes - this is going to ve very awkward, but Palm has done that intentionally.

4. Your Treo will appear to be dead for several minuts - possibly up to 15 minutes. After it reboots your data should be entirely erased.
    LOL, don't hurt yourself doing this. Definitely a good way to prevent someone from doing this accidentally.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsup1o View Post
    LOL, don't hurt yourself doing this. Definitely a good way to prevent someone from doing this accidentally.
    I was thinking the same thing... Start practicing by mastering the art of finger twister every night and soon you can do this with no harm done to yourself!!
    -Proud Treo 750V (UMTS), 700WX (EVDO) and PPC-6700 (EVDO) owner on the go...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oly/sets/72157594244138528/" target="_blank">OLY's GADGET PHOTO BLOG</a
    I thought he did a master reset (RTN Reset), I think Im wrong.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Very cool and very quick THANKS!

Yes I did a hard reset already thus the reason I posted, I am going to try to manually program the phone and see if the Home / Automatic problem goes away then see what happens when I do the *22899.

I will try the zero out reset and report back when I get the cable hooked up, I assume it has to be hooked to my PC on the other end but will try it both ways.

This is good because I spent hours searching for this, if anyone else does now, here it is... (if it works)..

BTW I am a he

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Not having any luck with this, when if I hit POWER and UP it just cycles through the phone on/off then I hit the hot sync then while holding these down I hit reset (stylus in the mouth). No matter if I hold down UP first, power first, hot sync first it just doesn't work. These directions are written for the 650 on Palms website so I think I will give them a call.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    OK I just called Palm, that was quiet the experience. The rep put me on hold for about 5 minutes then came back and said the 700w only has the two resets and no zero out reset.

BaH, not what I wanted to hear!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    actually ##786# will completely blow everything away including the phone programming. you need the MSL from verizon or sprint to do it.

andy
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    What is MSL? I try ##786# and it just dials it... lol
    As a side note...according to Sprint, the Hotsync button on the cable or cradle does absolutely nothing (other than playing that bird-chirping noise).
    Quote Originally Posted by olywogle View Post

Zero Out Reset

this is right up to a point. I just dud the complete wipe and the steps are as follows.

3. While holding down those three buttons, press the Reset button. Its not really that hard. The screen will didplay and erase all data? stament and tell you to push the up arrow to accomplish this. Of course you are already pushing the up arrow so it will likely happen.

Did these steps and my treo returned to factory defaults and the phone was still programmed. It didnt take 10 or 15 minutes. It took seconds.

To reset completely including removing the phone and vision programming, do the following.

The three steps above. Then ...

1. obtain your msl from Sprint. Esaiest way it to call them and tell them you need to program your phone. Tell em you reset it and lost the ability to make calls. WHen the tell you to type in ##xxxxxx#, write down those six numbers. thats your msl.

2. type ##786# this will take you to the phone data screen.

Write down the MDM and the MSID, you'll need them later.

3. Select Options at the bottom left and choose RTN Reset, the only option. I assume the RTN means Return To New or something.

Your phone will now reset and return to the white Treo splash screen. It may stay here for seveal minutes. When it shut off you will have a completely clean factory reset wx.

To reactivate your phone, type ##XXXXXX# (your msl) and fill in the mdm and msid and hit save.

good luck.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    OK I am using Verizon and Woof's post gave me an idea.

#*#786 is the RTN Screen on the 700w - it asks for a code after you select RTN and you type in 000000 for the code.

An icon spins - then says Your radio will be reset you hit OK then it says its been reset.

This resets the radio of the phone but keeps the user settings, contacts and other information present so after I did the hard reset and seemingly have a brand new phone (even the life timer is reset).

None of this took 'minutes' though.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I noticed the PRL number stays the same when the radio is RTN. Would this be normal behavior? I don't know what PRL 50619 means but since VZ does OTA programing wouldn't this clear out then reset once programed?

Of course this is something I am far from versed in so I could be talking out of my ****.
    Hate to bring up such an old thread, but, I did an RTN reset, and now I can't connect to the data network. My network user name and password are still in the phone, I dialed *228 and reprogrammed my phone, so I can make calls and receive texts, it's just my internet won't connect. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh, by the way, it's a Verizon Treo 700w with WM6.
    Last edited by fiktion; 07/06/2008 at 02:15 AM.
    You need to reprovision your phone.

#*#MSL# (where MSL is your Master Security Lock code, the 6 digit code you usd to do the RTN reset, not literally the letters MSL).

Then you need to reconfigure data:

#*#DATA#

Then you need to go into your connection settings and fill in all the info for the connection.

Most of these you will have to get from Verizon (username, password, HA password, etc).
    None of my connection settings went away, as I said, my user name and password were all still programmed in there. I can't find anything wrong with anything. I'm on the phone with Verizon now, told them I did a factory master reset, and they just went through the basic, "take out your battery, there's a little pin hold right next to the battery, do you see it?" I mean, sheesh...
    You can try this:

Flash back to 1.15.

#*#RTN# to reset.
    #*#MSL# to reprovision.
    #*#DATA# to program the data information.

Once you have everything in there, hit the update button on the #*#DATA# screen, it should ask you to if you want to set up the phone for data.

You should be able to flash back to the WM6 ROM and keep your data provisioning.
    Alright, I tried this, and... Nada. I had Verizon cancel my data package, 'cause I wasn't going to pay them $44.99/month for something I can't use. If I get it working again, I'll make them add it back.

The over the phone tech knew absolutely nothing about the device, and the tech in the store said that they just call the people I call, so if the OTA people couldn't do anything for me, neither could they, but I was eligible for an upgrade, and if I'd like to upgrade, I can get sale price on any phone. Pfft. Screw that. I'll suffer without data for a couple months, and upgrade to the 800w when it comes out! That, or purchase me a 700wx off of eBay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast