Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I've been getting used to my new 700wx (from a 650) for a week now and here are some of my observations: Take them for what they’re worth.

I never realized how bad the brightness of my 650 had gotten until I compared it side by side with the 700wx. Full brightness on the 650 is significantly dimmer then 50% bright on the 700. Who knew?

The rounded corners of the 700 make it slip into my Seido holster easier but also easier to pop out - which it did today

The ridges on the back of the unit make it feel a bit firmer in my grip.
    The rectangular buttons of the keyboard have a lesser tactile feel, but not noticeably so. The action of the keys is comparable to my 2 year old 650.

The Screen resolution is okay, the lower resolution is noticeable on some screens, no issue on others. I can live with it.

On the 650 I had about 20 speed dials set up and could find any one of them in a matter of seconds. On the 700wx I find the speed dials almost useless. I thought they were scrollable left and right but discovered they filled the Today screen. Dialing by name is a nice feature and I know over time I won't miss the speed dials. The expanded Contact fields are also a welcome change.

I like the concept of the Today screen but have found it VERY easy to clutter the screen with information. I have hidden the lookup field, speed dials and other stuff and only display Phone Alarm and Calendar info.

The only applications I have at the moment (still on trial) are Phone Alarm 1.54 (replacing Butler) and Spb Time (replacing Palmary clock). Neither of which work flawlessly but both are adequate. I wish Spb Time had a vibrate function, and then it'd be perfect for my needs which is about 9 distinct alarms per week.

I don't require fancy ring tones since the device is usually on vibrate but it would have been nice to hear some new ring tones on the new phone.

The one thing I do love about the phone is the Exchange server sync. It's been flawless. In the past I'd have to VPN into the network (Mergic VPN) and download corporate email via Snappermail on a 2 hour schedule. This is better. I have 2 other email accounts that I need to sync to the phone but haven't done it yet. I need to keep the personal email separate from the business email.

I also need to keep a number of documents and databases on the phone, so I'll have to purchase a good DB program to replace Smart List to Go. Documents to Go is alas history. I suspect that I'll have to replace approx. 200 dollars worth of programs to make this phone comparable to the 650.

I find manipulating the interface to take a bit longer then it did with the 650 but well within the acceptable range. I am still scratching my head at some things like acknowledging an SMS, left soft key to Notify which is highlighted but left soft key won't initiate the command, neither will the center button, only the letter N key works. On other menu commands the softkeys work well.

I've tinkered with the 700p and was astonished how much I disliked having the menu button on the bottom row of the keyboard. Will I keep the 700wx? Probably. Do I think it's as easy to use as my 650, nope, but neither was my 650 when it first came out.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOstler View Post
    On the 700wx I find the speed dials almost useless. I thought they were scrollable left and right but discovered they filled the Today screen. Dialing by name is a nice feature and I know over time I won't miss the speed dials. The expanded Contact fields are also a welcome change.
    Just fyi, in case you didn't know: you can skip the Today Plugin speeddial yet still assign them to a "key" under Menu --> Speed Dial

i.e. for Voicemail I just press and hold "v"

for Bob I'd just press and hold "b"

Now obviously you're limited to the 1 contact/1 letter but still, for your top 10 (assuming they all don't have the same initials!) it's very quick and easy and no plugin is required.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip Malatesta, that's exactly what I've done. for the 6 or 7 speed dials that have keys assigned to them, I just press and hold. But outside of those few, using speed dials seems a waste.

I'm sure given time I'll become a power user again, right now it's a mix of counter intuition and old habits dying hard.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.