Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Engadgetmobile is reporting that the WX will be available from Verizon in December...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/
  2.    #2  
    And, this news, if true, is a little disappointing to me. I was hoping that Verizon would carry a version of the 750v as the 700w replacement. I don’t think Verizon would launch the 700WX and then turn around and replace it with a 750v a few months later. Looks like the American launch of the 750v may just be a Cingular exclusive, at least for awhile…
    Interesting. I wonder if the software will be updated with the threaded sms and a2dp support. I might have to switch back if Sprint keeps screwing up like it has.
    Sprint screwups notwithstanding, pray for a ROM update to address those issues and the other ones (i.e. crappy Bluetooth!)...
    END OF LINE
  5.    #5  
    I don't know if threaded SMS and A2dp is enough for me to "upgrade", even along with the extra memory...If they offered some kind of discount for current owners, I might, but another $299-500 for those features isn't worth it to me. Then again, I'm not a power-user so maybe the temptation would be there for others...
    Quote Originally Posted by aloper View Post
    And, this news, if true, is a little disappointing to me. I was hoping that Verizon would carry a version of the 750v as the 700w replacement. I don’t think Verizon would launch the 700WX and then turn around and replace it with a 750v a few months later. Looks like the American launch of the 750v may just be a Cingular exclusive, at least for awhile…
    You do realize that the 750 is basically just a GSM version of the 700w/wx right? The main functional differences (apart from the obvious GSM vs. CDMA issue) is that the 750 has threaded SMS and AD2P built in, it uses miniSD instead of a standard SD slot, and it has a smaller battery. Otherwise, there isn't much else that should make a Verizon customer want a 750 instead of a 700wx.

Back to the main topic itself, I'm still skeptical of the article. It'd be very surprising to me if Verizon actually got the wx instead of waiting for a new Treo. I wonder if it would actually be worth their time...
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, I do...but I like the form factor of the 750v better. I've actually got a few jokes from friends when in Europe about the antenna on my 700w! Last week, I got a chance to play around with a 750v and it's just more "polished" than my 700w...
    if true this is good to here for the verizon friends we have here. I am with sprint and am happy with my sevice, but if I was a verizon guy and the power user that many are. I would see this as a worth while move. the difference I have seen and heard from power users and the two different models of treos is like night and day. for the casual user maybe not.

any how, congratulations all you verizon people.

cody
    I don't see how that helps us that already purchased 700w... I hope they do some kind of exchange or some ****....
    I doubt sprint/vzw will be getting a NEW treo model until EVDO Rev. A hits. With that said, I'm very surprised that vzw is releasing the wx.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Verizon is going to offer the WX as a free upgrade to W users to avoid class action lawsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor View Post
    Verizon is going to offer the WX as a free upgrade to W users to avoid class action lawsuit.
    I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the threat of litigation is very real. If VZW does do a good upgrade plan (and not something like a $50 credit), then it will impress me.
    I can pretty much GUARANTEE that Verizon will offer NOTHING to current 700w owners. That would basically be admiting a mistake to all of their customers since the only real difference is the increase in memory. And if they play the WX off as an actual next-gen device (ie going from the 650 to the 700w although that would be tough to pull off) then there will absolutely be no upgrade offer.

Let me tell you one thing...if this actually does happen then HYPOTHETICALLY my Treo 700w will take a tragic albeit ACCIDENTAL tumble down the stairs and, HYPOTHETICALLY one $50 deductible later my refurb replacement will be on Ebay within minutes of the FedEx truck pulling up to my house...in theory.

OR...

Has anyone heard of some special Verizon program where you can do NE2 every year? I think it's called the Platinum Rewards or something. My old roommate was offered it and I remember seeing the brochure he got in the mail. I think the stipulation is that you have to spend over $80 per month which I hit no problem, but you have to spend it for a certain consecutive amount of months. If I could snag that offer I would upgrade in a flash!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Won't vzw let you swap phones if you complain enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the threat of litigation is very real.
    No it's not. This is simply an example of advanced technology coming out as time goes by. It's not like Verizon lied to their customers about the 700w or wx. People who bought the 700w knew what they were getting when they got the phone, and if for some reason it didn't meet their expectations, they had a 14 day (30 in some states I think) period to return the phone. I can't sue Apple for coming out with an 80GB iPod about a year after I bought my 60GB iPod.....

And yes, he was being sarcastic.
    I'm not sure many(meaning those who just get a phone and never visit boards like these and/or the non-tech savvy) were aware that the 700w had only 32MB RAM. Considering the way Palm hid the real RAM in their memory specs. The 700wx is NOT advanced technology, it has the RAM the 700w should have come with! No WM PDA phone of Treo's caliber should come with 32MB RAM! 64 is the starting norm for most WM5 devices. Only Palm cheaped out on the memory.

Now whether or not Verizon knew the memory was cheaped out when they first sold the 700w(I'm sure they know now), we on the outside won't know unless someone spills the beans. But it certainly would help if they allowed a generous trade in for existing 700w owners. Otherwise, someone could indeed start making trouble for Verizon. Whether or not they'll succeed is another story, but the bad publicity may not help.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I think this is the biggest mistake that Verizon can make offering the 700wx. The fact that this phone will look and work just like the 700w (other than the memory) their customers reaction will be irrate. Its like sprint offering a new ppc 6700 with A2DP and fixing the EvDO ring through problem and calling it the 6700x. The 6700 people would sh!t bricks! Now if you would add in a few new apps, change the form factor a bit, and call it the ppc-6800, no one would complain. Same rules should apply here. Palm/verizon should change the phone enough to change its name. This will avoid any ill will from the Verizon crowd. Keeping the "700" model number is insane.

Brace yourself folks......this is going to get ugly.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    What will be interesting to see is if VZW continues to carry the 700w after/if they get the 700wx. I used to have a motorola 720. the screen shorted out when I was taling in a heavy rain. when I got my replacement they no longer carried the 720 so I got a 730i. VZW may do the same with replacements for the 700w.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Palm is probably going to stop producing (if the haven't already) the 700w and only produce wx's. So Verizon probably won't have a choice. If you buy a Dell in May, then complain that next April there's more RAM, same price, how far is that argument going to go?

The 750v is not a "better device." It has different features with some disadvantages also. I too pray for a ROM update for my wx, with a newer AKU and threaded text msgs, but I highly doubt a2dp will be in it. Palm has yet to prove me wrong! LOL
  20.    #20  
    I would agree that the 750v isn't a better device than the 700wx (except for the form factor) but compared to the 700w, the 750v is a better device.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast