Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It looks like the 750v has another advantage over the 700's. Reviews claim that bluetooth voice dialing works flawlessly. I don't think we'll ever see that on the w(x)'s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Palm is probably going to stop producing (if the haven't already) the 700w and only produce wx's. So Verizon probably won't have a choice.
    They probably will stop but not for awhile. The 700p has been out for months and you can still get the 650.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Has anyone confirmed this yet though? I talked to my corporate sales rep from verizon, and they haven't heard anything like this yet....
    I would not be surprise at all if the upgrade is silent and it is still called the W. Like one day you walk into a Verizon store and you the look at the program memory and go wait did when did this get more ram and why was it not advertised or some thig. i dunno
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    No it's not. This is simply an example of advanced technology coming out as time goes by. It's not like Verizon lied to their customers about the 700w or wx. People who bought the 700w knew what they were getting when they got the phone, and if for some reason it didn't meet their expectations, they had a 14 day (30 in some states I think) period to return the phone. I can't sue Apple for coming out with an 80GB iPod about a year after I bought my 60GB iPod.....

And yes, he was being sarcastic.
    People aren't ignorant. People will blame vzw for releasing an inferior product and are correcting their mistake with the 700wx. I'm not sure if you reside in the same country I do, but people sue for anything. And I'm sure some legal action will be brought against VZW. Whether its successful or not is to be seen, but it will probably happen.
    I just wish that Alltel would get the 700wx, store reps know nothing about it, and phone operators dont seem to either. Its a mixed bag with Email support. They seem to know they are getting the 700, but not which version... or when... Ive heard from mid October to December
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    People aren't ignorant. People will blame vzw for releasing an inferior product and are correcting their mistake with the 700wx. I'm not sure if you reside in the same country I do, but people sue for anything. And I'm sure some legal action will be brought against VZW. Whether its successful or not is to be seen, but it will probably happen.

I agree! When people become aware that the only difference is more memory and a brighter screen, many will not be happy.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree! When people become aware that the only difference is more memory and a brighter screen, many will not be happy.
    nope. The other guy said "they sue for anything in this country", you are absolutely right, but if indeed this all comes to court i REALLY doubt vzw will lose the case.

Let's just look at the ipod. It's one of the world's best selling products right now, and has so much more attention than a line of cell phones for business guys, yet they keep releasing better versions mere months from the predecessor and they don't even change the name! It's still the ipod, not the ipod WX, ipod extreme, etc, so one could argue that apple is cheating customers, and, despite their huge popularity, has anything hapenned yet????
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    nope. The other guy said "they sue for anything in this country", you are absolutely right, but if indeed this all comes to court i REALLY doubt vzw will lose the case.

Let's just look at the ipod. It's one of the world's best selling products right now, and has so much more attention than a line of cell phones for business guys, yet they keep releasing better versions mere months from the predecessor and they don't even change the name! It's still the ipod, not the ipod WX, ipod extreme, etc, so one could argue that apple is cheating customers, and, despite their huge popularity, has anything hapenned yet????
    3% of all suits actually make it to court. The vast majority are settled (just like the Moto e710).

And a suit can be made that customers were misled about the memory on the 700w (RAM). There is no mystery about the ipod. If you get an 80gb model, you'll get 80gb (or the equivalent, i know a few gigs are usually missing due to formatting and other things I don't care for).
    If you look at Palm's website today and compare the 700w and 700wx they look like the exact same device. There is no mention of the RAM upgrade at all. Now maybe I am wrong but don't they have the same amount of RAM but the 700wx has a different firmware that leaves much more RAM available to programs?
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post

The iPod actually changes and Apple makes it well known what the changes are over the last model.

The 700w was shortened on RAM, plain and simple, no way to get around that. And it's hidden in the specs. It caused people's phones to slow down. Palm should have known this would happen if they cheapened out on the RAM. The 700wx has the correct amount of RAM for WM and a brighter screen. What kind of "update" is that, really? It's clear that this is to make up for the screw up with 700w.

I never said anyone was going to succeed in suing, but I certainly wouldn't be happy as a 700w owner who bought a device not realizing it was shortened on RAM until I look at the memory management screen because Palm hid the real RAM in specs. Then Palm releases a phone with "corrections" less than a year later.

Palm's misleading people is terrible! The lawsuit should really be against Palm as the main defendent and Verizon as the second defendent. Unless Verizon was clueless that the phone was shorted on RAM, but their techs should have seen that right away, so that may not fly.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    If you look at Palm's website today and compare the 700w and 700wx they look like the exact same device. There is no mention of the RAM upgrade at all. Now maybe I am wrong but don't they have the same amount of RAM but the 700wx has a different firmware that leaves much more RAM available to programs?
    Look for the TC review video. The screen on the memory management page clearly shows that the 700wx has the 64 MB RAM needed.

Agreed. I still think it is a bit odd that Palm fails to mention that at all on their site. If you look at the little comparison chart they have up there it doesn't even have a row for RAM. That's a bit shady to say the least.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/comp...html#footnotes

In fact, the ONLY difference b/t the 700w and 700wx columns is Verizon and Sprint, respectively. It's almost as if they are simply making the 700wx out to be the Sprint version of the 700w and nothing more. I know, I know there are threads on here explaining the RAM difference yada yada save it. If I am Johnny PPCBuyer who doesn't surf these threads religiously how would I ever know that? Can you take the phone back if you don't like it? Sure, we all know that. But the fact is the phone was put out on the street underpowered. At the time the 700w was released there was no alternative. Now there is an alternative and all it does is correct the mistake in the form of a different carrier model coverup.

The ipod comparison doesn't apply. Yes Apple releases new ipods every year with more memory but the old ones STILL WORK AS ADVERTISED. You can still play mp3s and/or watch videos all the livelong day. Oh, and what about the new metal-incased nanos? You don't think that's apple trying to fix a screw up? You know why they did it? A class-action suit. Same thing with the batteries on the old models.

The 700w does not work as advertised, plain and simple (at least the two I have used do not). I cannot multitask for the most part. I hear all of these people with 10 programs open and I just don't get it. I can't even have 2 open w/o the phone freezing when Activesync starts. Who knows, maybe I have just had 2 lemons but that is highly unlikely. Palm f'd up and now they are trying to cover their backsides and the consumer gets screwed. Happens all the time and there only thing you can do is sue and try and get something back. In this case I think it's a longshot at best and probably a waste of time.
    Last edited by fumblerooski; 10/12/2006 at 07:40 AM.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Looks like they're announcing a Treo 680 and not a 700wx?! wtf
    I got this reply from my corporate sales rep...

"I do believe that the 700wx will be part of our product line. I do not have a tentative date. I will keep you posted.

Also, the 700w should have 128mb/60mb user available non-volatile memory."

Are they playing stupid or they don't know the memory issues we are having?
    Quote Originally Posted by robodude View Post
    Looks like they're announcing a Treo 680 and not a 700wx?! wtf
    700wx is not a new Treo... it's been with sprint for a while... 680 nobody has so it is new...
    Has anyone heard of some special Verizon program where you can do NE2 every year? I think it's called the Platinum Rewards or something. My old roommate was offered it and I remember seeing the brochure he got in the mail. I think the stipulation is that you have to spend over $80 per month which I hit no problem, but you have to spend it for a certain consecutive amount of months. If I could snag that offer I would upgrade in a flash!
    Could someone elaborate on this? We spend $250-$300 month for 1 account with Verizon.. That would be sweet!
    Here it is, it's called the "Merits Program"

https://merits.vzw.com/index.aspx?AC=1

It says you need a $79.99/month calling plan minimum to qualify, so I'm not sure that I do (I have $40 + $45 month data)

Edit: I just tried to fill out the online registration and they said I didn't qualify. Called CS and the lady told me I need a $80/month calling plan to qualify and I could switch if I wanted. I replied, "So you're telling me if I cancel my data plan and upgrade my voice plan to $80/month I qualify." She said yes. So I said, "You realize that I now spend $85/month and do NOT qualify for the Merits program but if I do what I just proposed I will be spending $80/month and I WILL qualify." She said yes. "I told her that didn't make much sense and she said there was nothing she could do about it. I guess I'll call back later to see if I can negotiate with a manager.
    Last edited by fumblerooski; 10/12/2006 at 02:51 PM.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Here it is, it's called the "Merits Program"

https://merits.vzw.com/index.aspx?AC=1

It says you need a $79.99/month calling plan minimum to qualify, so I'm not sure that I do (I have $40 + $45 month data)
    I just called Verizon to find out about it.. I was already registered in this program. Basically because we signed a 2yr contract, every 2 years i am eligible for $100 off the purchase of a new phone.

So in other words, in September of 2007 I would be able to buy the Treo 700wx from Verizon for $299.99. So after selling the Treo 700w i would probably come out even..

Not too bad..
    That is just the standard new every 2 that everybody gets. the merits program is basically new every ONE plus 25% off other stuff.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast