Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    One thing i have noticed that wasnt in the review is that in Sim Manager theres now the option to copy Contacts to sim.

Works well. - First time i have seen this on a WM5 device.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did they deliberately make the screen look washed out? And it does look like the resolution will be a problem. That much scrolling sucks.
    Yes they did. There are several options for the Today screen. This is the Business theme and it look sseriously wrong. Even if you have the Treo in hand. That is why I'm using Windows default. Bright blue and it looks a whole lot nicer!
    Hmm, the article doesn't mention the fact that many have boycotted Microsoft products due to draconian licensing schemes and shady business practices. Basically, if its a Microsoft product or uses a MS Operating System, I won't buy it.

So, when is the next Palm or Linux OS phone coming out?
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza View Post
    Hmm, the article doesn't mention the fact that many have boycotted Microsoft products due to draconian licensing schemes and shady business practices.
    And why should it? It's reviewing the Palm Treo 750 not passing judgement on a particular company.

Basically, if its a Microsoft product or uses a MS Operating System, I won't buy it.
    Hey that's your prerogative, but if you were boycott every company that supposedly had "shady" business practices, you wouldn't be buying very much.

I would give MS a break. Bill Gates has given millions to humanitarian efforts.

So, when is the next Palm or Linux OS phone coming out?
    Palm OS is on it's last legs so the way I see it is the 680 might be it. As far as Access is concern, many have speculated that might be in Japan only.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    And why should it? It's reviewing the Palm Treo 750 not passing judgement on a particular company.

Hey that's your prerogative, but if you were boycott every company that supposedly had "shady" business practices, you wouldn't be buying very much.

I would give MS a break. Bill Gates has given millions to humanitarian efforts.

Palm OS is on it's last legs so the way I see it is the 680 might be it. As far as Access is concern, many have speculated that might be in Japan only.

Sigh. Time to move to Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortezza View Post
    Sigh. Time to move to Japan.
    As far as I know, any device with UMTS 2100 should work in Japan. So, I guess the TREO 750v will work.

A.W
    I think your review was rather harsh on the Palm OS. Like you, I wish the sync facility worked like Activ Sync. But I have experienced none of the problems you describe synching any number of Palm gizmos over the years. I very much like the favourites option available on the phone and web browser - much more user-friendly than the Microsoft one. The Palm OS has supported threaded SMS for yonks. Most important (to me at any rate) is that, once I have installed Dataviz's 'Beyond Contacts' and 'Documents To Go', I have a much better portable workstation than Microsoft has ever offered, even with the wonderful Textmaker to replace the native Microsoft Word. The calendar and tasks facilities provided by Beyond Contacts make for the cleanest, most manipulable, and the simplest representation of your diary available on any platform, knocking WM and Symbian into a cocked hat. The synchronisation of word-processing documents using footnotes, graphics and whatnot is excellent - nothing gets lost in the cycle. Even Textmaker cannot beat Documents to Go. Finally, web-browsing on the Treo 650 is much easier than it is on (for example) my O2 XDA Exec, even though the latter is technically a much more highly specified machine. MS Internet Explorer scrolls badly and doesn't screen-wrap, whereas Blazer does the business with no fuss at all. In the end, I suppose it comes down to personal choice, but I absolutely prefer the Palm OS to WM. If the sync facility worked like its MS counterpart - that is to say automatically and continuously, I would have nothing to say in favour of WM at all. I shall upgrade to the Treo 680 and give the 750v a miss.

Guy Mitchell
    Quote Originally Posted by guymit View Post
    MS Internet Explorer scrolls badly and doesn't screen-wrap, whereas Blazer does the business with no fuss at all.
    When I put IE in "column" mode it wraps everything on the web page just like it does on Blazer in "Optimized" mode. Did you not try column mode?
    IE has 3 modes: Desktop, default, and column. Deskop is just like "Wide" on blazer, and column is just like "optimized" on Blazer. Standard is in between where it scales down images to the screen width, but doesn't wrap things keeping the layout intact.
    Or did you mean something else that I missed?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    When I put IE in "column" mode it wraps everything on the web page just like it does on Blazer in "Optimized" mode. Did you not try column mode?
    IE has 3 modes: Desktop, default, and column. Deskop is just like "Wide" on blazer, and column is just like "optimized" on Blazer. Standard is in between where it scales down images to the screen width, but doesn't wrap things keeping the layout intact.
    Or did you mean something else that I missed?
    To add to the above, IE can be set to either link scolling (default) or smooth scrolling (ie. by Page) with a simple reg hack. Once again, just goes to show how flexible WM is compared to the POS.
    Last edited by JGold; 10/29/2006 at 07:03 PM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    ok stupid question..so I cant use my 3G card with the Treo 750v correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek888 View Post
    ok stupid question..so I cant use my 3G card with the Treo 750v correct?
    I once heard that there are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people who ask questions. Just kidding.

Your 3G SIM card will work in the 750v, but the 750v won't be able to access HSDPA (3G speed) yet. So, it will work the same as my old SIM card until an update comes for the 750. At least that's what I've been reading. I have a 750v, but haven't updated my SIM yet.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Diva,

I think what you mean is if you press and hold the OK button, the screen listing all the programs that are running comes up. You can then choose to close one of them or all of them.

I got SPB Pocket Plus which allows you to close all of them.

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en
    Close Button:
    The close (X) button really closes programs, task manager, ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think you all are missing what I'm trying to say. I'm very well aware that on most other WM devices, OK minimizes and not close. I have several(don't ask ).

What I mean is Palm tweaked the OK button to actually close if you press and hold it. Verizon 700w users were adamant about this.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Yesterday a friend who owns a Cingular 8125 was wowed by the resolution on my Treo 750v I have it set to full brighness

Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    i think my only major complaint with WM5 is the screen resolution. If they somehow get better resolution, I would switch over from Palm's rustbucket OS in a heartbeat. It's just that 320x320 looks so damn good...
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    Yesterday a friend who owns a Cingular 8125 was wowed by the resolution on my Treo 750v I have it set to full brighness
    The 8125, like my KJAM, has a better resolution (320 x 240) than any WM Treo. I think what you mean is your friend was impressed with the brightness/color display of your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    I once heard that there are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people who ask questions. Just kidding.

Your 3G SIM card will work in the 750v, but the 750v won't be able to access HSDPA (3G speed) yet. So, it will work the same as my old SIM card until an update comes for the 750. At least that's what I've been reading. I have a 750v, but haven't updated my SIM yet.
    I put in my 3G sim card from my jasjar and copied the same settings from it. The Treo 750v surfs the internet just as fast as it did with the jasjar so for me the 3G sim card works great!
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    To add to the above, IE can be set to either link scolling (default) or smooth scrolling (ie. by Page) with a simple reg hack. Once again, just goes to show how flexible WM is compared to the POS.
    Hmmm... With Blazer, press 'down' on the 5-way navigator and it scrolls a page, press 'right' and it scrolls to the next link. No hacks, no settings to adjust.

Everyone on this thread seems ready to dig Palm OS's grave. (I also notice all the WM device avatars ) There remains a niche for Palm for those who want simplicity and streamlining. If I want Windows and all its bells and whistles I'll flip open my laptop. What is one man's 'flexible' is another's 'cumbersome.'
    I prefer Palm OS, but you can't get high-speed data on a GSM network with it. You can get EVDO currently, but I suspect you won't be able to get EVDO-A with it though since that allows simultaneous voice and data just like UMTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle92 View Post
    Hmmm... With Blazer, press 'down' on the 5-way navigator and it scrolls a page, press 'right' and it scrolls to the next link. No hacks, no settings to adjust.

Everyone on this thread seems ready to dig Palm OS's grave. (I also notice all the WM device avatars ) There remains a niche for Palm for those who want simplicity and streamlining. If I want Windows and all its bells and whistles I'll flip open my laptop. What is one man's 'flexible' is another's 'cumbersome.'
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle92 View Post

I think the main issue is that Palm OS is not up to date with the latest technology. Palm has not gven any major update that will work with 3G for instance. That is why most people are now ready to dig the grave as you say.

Maybe if Palm would release an update that will work with the latest in technology a big part of us would go back. I mean Palm OS is good enough for PDA for me I'v worked with it for years but not for a smartphone.

just my 2 cents.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345