Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have to say, I completely agree that the Palm OS is breathing its last breath and will probably be dead within the 12-18 month period. I also think it's very likely that I will eventually switch to the WM OS on my next device (using a VZW 700P now) but I am continually disappointed in all of the negative of WM OS. I hear constantly complaints about the UI (way too much button pressing), seemingly 1/2 the functionality of Documents to Go compared to the integrated MS Pocket Office suite, frequent complaints about the calendar and failed alarm notifications.

On the other hand, the integrated MS Exchange functionality and increasing availability of newer software packages (MS OneNote 2007 Mobile beta) are nice additions.

Ughhh.... I love and hate Microsoft in the same breath.
    @ Diva, I am really happy with the reception of my Treo. Could be that the coverage of Vodafone is better in NL then in UK I don't know. Reception is the same as my Nokia 6230.

Steve I have worked with Docs to go on my old E2 and I have to say I personally prefer the Pocket Office. But that is also subjective for everyone.
    I would like to see how the new 680 will hold out against the 750v.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    @Septimus: Excellent review (almost as good as mine on PocketInfo )
    Thanks for the props everybody - but don't direct them at me! The article was written by Doug Morse
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I have to say, I completely agree that the Palm OS is breathing its last breath and will probably be dead within the 12-18 month period. I also think it's very likely that I will eventually switch to the WM OS on my next device (using a VZW 700P now) but I am continually disappointed in all of the negative of WM OS. I hear constantly complaints about the UI (way too much button pressing), seemingly 1/2 the functionality of Documents to Go compared to the integrated MS Pocket Office suite, frequent complaints about the calendar and failed alarm notifications.

On the other hand, the integrated MS Exchange functionality and increasing availability of newer software packages (MS OneNote 2007 Mobile beta) are nice additions.

Ughhh.... I love and hate Microsoft in the same breath.
    People say all sorts of things. Some of it true, some of it exaggerated, some of it complete fiction. You should definitely try out a device (and I mean bringing one home and using it for a few weeks, not just playing in a store) and make these judgements for yourself. I've switched between POS and WM (well, when the POS was still competitive) and found WM to be the more powerful and less frustrating OS. Try it out, you may be very surprised!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Thanks for the review, but the glowing introduction didn't seem to be supported all that well by the review content.

I think I'll be holding onto my 650 for a while, if not upgrading to a 700p.

That emulator or whatever that allows one to run Palm software, though,... that sounds nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Morse
    However, I imagine that for the phone to be successful, especially beyond business, data pricing will have to change dramatically. If Vodafone doesn’t make the change, one of their competitors surely will.
    Perhaps worth noting that of course T-Mobile UK already offer very reasonable data rates branded as Web'n'Walk. Not too clear from their web site but this is what you get:

£7.50: 1 GB. No streaming, IM, VoIP
    £12.50: 3 GB. Streaming and IM allowed. No VoIP
    £22.50: 10 GB. Streaming IM and VoIP allowed.

It's a damn shame that Palm didn't launch the 750v with T-Mobile!
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is T-mobile a walled Garden like Vodafone?
    Completely open. T-Mobile had an epiphany, and realized they were wasting money on a walled garden when the killer app, the WWW, was right there for the taking. The slogan now is something like 'the web on your phone' and they are growing very fast.

Of note, while streaming and voip is not officially sanctioned on the lower tarrifs, you are allowed to do it in moderation. There is no port blocking or anything else going on.

A bit like sprint and t-mobile usa however, they are making up for a weaker physical network with cheaper prices. In general Vodafone has a better coverage than t-mobile, to my annoyance on many occasions. When I look at my bill however I know why I joined them.

Surur
    No walled garden on T Mobile just a great service from my point of view, now just need to get my damned unlock code and my brand new treo 750v will rock
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is T-mobile a walled Garden like Vodafone?
    Nope. I have the old £10 web n walk pro plan. Up to 2GB per month.
    Speeds up to 1.2Mbps.

I was wondering if slingplayer is any good on the 750v.
    i think my only major complaint with WM5 is the screen resolution. If they somehow get better resolution, I would switch over from Palm's rustbucket OS in a heartbeat. It's just that 320x320 looks so damn good...
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    i think my only major complaint with WM5 is the screen resolution. If they somehow get better resolution, I would switch over from Palm's rustbucket OS in a heartbeat. It's just that 320x320 looks so damn good...
    I've gone from 320x480 POS devices to WM devices and won't go back to a POS device again. The resolution was a VERY small factor to me. Sure, the higher resolution is nice, but I don't really miss it. For all of the other features that WM5 has over POS, you probably won't miss it much either.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archi...12/750672.aspx

Maybe this goes better here in this thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I knew there was a feature like this! But I'm surprised it may not be on the 750. Or maybe people are just unaware of it?
    It is on the 750v
    In all seriousness the Palm OS is a dinasour. WM5 has been up and running long enough that a serious reviewer should be familiar with it. Half the article is dedictated to the authors amazement that WM5 is so good. Hello????
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    In all seriousness the Palm OS is a dinasour. WM5 has been up and running long enough that a serious reviewer should be familiar with it. Half the article is dedictated to the authors amazement that WM5 is so good. Hello????
    That's probably because he's been a diehard fan of POS. There's a lot of people that blindly assume that POS is superior and haven't even given WM5 a shot. Then when they do try it out, they maybe surprised by the robust OS and the more powerful features.
    I'm not interested in investing in mini-sd's.

It's very nice that they put a cover over the slot and included a more easily-accessed reset button, but I've already got pre-drilled holes and media (i.e. sd cards) that can go in my digital cameras, Treo, and laptops without missing a beat.

Also, reception on my Treo isn't one of those things that I can afford to have trimmed. I'm the only person in my building, that I know of anyway, who loses calls on the elevator. Cheap clamshells keep right on truckin'. An antenna-challenged 750v (hmm... I think I've been calling it a 700v) might implode.

Maybe because I'm somewhere between the "regular consumer" and the high-end user, the 650 meets my needs ... just enough. *shrugs*
    I'm like the reviews I'm reading. I hope the reception isn't as has as has been mentioned. I'm glad to hear that the ear piece volume is good, though.

It kind of surprised how most Treo 750 reviews compare PalmOS to WM5. While necessary to mention, I don't like to see reviews ding the Treo because of the way WM or the built in apps work. I do however like to hear how it is different or the same to other WM5 PocketPCs... as in do I get a TyTn, or a Treo.. and why?

Initial concerns I had was the today screen. Palm seems to have put a lot of useless **** on the today screen like dial by picture <gag>. I have 0 interest in picture dialing. At least I think I do, we'll see once I see how it works and if it's worth the very valuable screen real estate. I for see removing most of that and replacing it with better 3rd party today screen plug-ins.
    But the concern is how much can I remove? Since the today screen IS the phone scree unlike other PPCs that the phone button puts you in to a phone app, that means there are today items that must remain in order for the phone to work?
    Or does it? We know taping and holding on keys brings up a contact manager???? I'm a little confused. I have to back and read that part again.
    Anyway I think I'll be able to remove most of the today stuff and leave the bare minimum. It'll give some room to add my XPress mail calendar to the today screen.

As for closing apps with the OK button (and leaving them running in background.) Here's a must-have in my opinion for WM. I hope it works just fine with the Treo and doesn't interfere with the Palm customizations.

Get yourself PSB Pocket Plus:
    http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en
    I install it and just turn off the today plug-in and us it's functionality.
    One of the features is "Close Button: The close (X) button really closes programs, task manager, ... "
    You can configure this to close certain apps and minimize others. Or leave it as (X) minimizes, then when you want to shut down all apps you click and hold the x button (Or that area on the today screen) and you get a pop up menu. That menu has on it "Close" "Close ALL" "Close all inactive" and you can add anything you want (dim screen, soft reset, etc,)

I personally like to leave email and calendar running so that when I click on them they come right up and I don't have to wait for them to load every time while I'm checking mail through the day.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Morse

a large percentage of the screen is wasted with not just one, but two information bars. The top bar I like, it contains useful information such as the time, connectivity, battery life, network connection, and the Start Menu.

What I dislike is the bottom bar, it's a waste of valuable pixels. On the right we nearly always see "menu." In my opinion "menu" simply should have been permanently set to the button below it. To the left is the context-sensitive button. In Contacts it says "new," In Calendar it allows you to change views, and in Outlook Mobile it again changes to "new." In between this brilliant waste is an icon to bring up a virtual keyboard. On the Treo, a virtual keyboard is, how shall we say, a bit redundant. Occasionally it's helpful for the odd character that's not on the keyboard and you can't remember the special key combination. The only built-in application that allows you to go full-screen is Pocket Internet Explorer. If other applications were full-screen capable I wouldn’t have a problem with the menu bar.

It’s odd because Windows XP allows for the auto hiding of Taskbars and also supports Full Screen versions of applications.
    It concerns me also that "a large percentage of the screen is wasted."
    There sure isn't extra to waste.
    Just call me Berd.
    Yes, but that's the standard WM screen. Should they make a different one for 240x240? I don't know, maybe. But on 320x240, the bottom bar is no big deal. 240x240 is technically an odd resolution for WM, it only appears on Treos, right?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast