Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    So the guy runs into a few resets and decides to call it quits. That makes it a bad device? He could have gotten a bad unit. I think you are jumping to conclusions here.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2.    #3  
    no - it scares me how much his sounds like the early days of the treo 650. i dont want to go through that again.
    I don't take much stock in this review. Based on his comments, he doesn't sound very familar with WM, regardless of the fact that he also uses a Loox n560 which BTW is the same OS but most likely not the same update (ie. AKU version).

Some other issues have popped up- sometimes when I run an application from the expansion card the icons in the menu disappear for all other applications on the expension card and they only come back when a soft reset is done.
    Movies in TCPMP are blocky and do not play well.
    Exiting eReader causes the page place to be lost. For sure some of these could be third party programming issues but again none of these problems appear on the Loox?
    The most telling statement:

Maybe it is just me but the multitude of problems I have experienced so far so not put it in favour with me
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I disagree. I had the 650 when it first came out. It sounds like an inexperienced user doing a casual review. No comments about what worked and what didn't, only comments about a few problems and giving up. No comments on data speed. No comments on email.

Not enough data to draw a conclusion. And I don't believe he said "it's a bad device". You did, and you don't have one to give feedback on.

I've all for someone saying what they find and giving their opinons. I'm not for others taking those reviews and making them sound like more than they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    no - it scares me how much his sounds like the early days of the treo 650. i dont want to go through that again.
    yea, a half day with the 750 makes this guy a reputable source.

This doesn't sway my decision in any way. Bring on the 750!
    Shaun is a PDA expert. He changes devices more often than we change underwear. He just has a low tolerance for things not working as they should.

Surur
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'll have to agree with Shaun's review I managed to get hold of a treo 750 today and it crashed and then it crashed and then it didn't work. I'm not very impressed.

Forgetting the PDA side, it also doesn't seem to be a very good phone (which is why I ditched my 650 in the end) - I also have a nokia e61 and like Shaun it struggled to get a 3g signal in areas where the e61 had no problems.

Maybe a few more days play will change my mind but I've got out of the treo mindset and I am now use to a phone that works everytime....

(hopefully the treo 900 will bring me back to the fold...)

It's only saying "well you've had it for just a day" but that's not going to affect it's ability to pick up a 3g signal.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/10/2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Different strokes for different folks
    Jimmie Geddes
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Oh the other thing to bear in mind is the cost of ownership - Vodafone will totally bend you over on data charges (I don't pay so it's not a problem for me). That wouldn't be a problem if you had wi-fi - which this device does not (which is pretty shortsighted when you consider the rollout of wi-fi that the uk is expericing now and acclerating over the next 12-18 months).
    Last edited by CGK; 10/10/2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    That's Palm for you, shortsighted on features. SIGH!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've been using the Treo for almost a week now and have not encountered any of these problems. Phonewise it is better then my trusty Nokia or my Samsung D520. I have yet to get a crash on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    So the guy runs into a few resets and decides to call it quits. That makes it a bad device? He could have gotten a bad unit. I think you are jumping to conclusions here.
    I think he should have gotten an exchange and reviewed the 2nd unit. The clue is he turned the GSM on and it didn't work. Phone is defective.

Also, WM5 shouldn't reset when editing a calender appoinment. I do that at least 3-10 times daily and NO resets. If it happened to him, something is wrong with the unit.

If it happens on several units, then I would say Palm indeed failed at quality control again. Treos should not be resetting anymore after all the stuff that happened on the 650!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree it sounds like a defective device. But he didn't even bother to try to get a replacement, just concludes they are all bad. Sorry but that's not a professional review.
    I've used WM devices for years now and for the last couple of years ones with phones built in. However I had a Treo 600 when they first arrived and liked it; I was really looking forward to the 750v. Well I've got one - and used it for about 3 days - and it's now all boxed up waiting to go back. The PDA side of it was okay for me but the phone reception was awful. Kept dropping in and out of signal where I work (and where my Tytn normally constantly shows 2 "bars") and in other places it failed to find a signal where both my Tytn and my Universal got them straightaway. Had it worked fine I'd have swallowed the Voda data charges but as it didn't work it can go back and maybe I'll try it again - on Tmobile - when the unlocked ones arrive and if they've updated the ROM by then.
    How was the call quality when you did get a signal? Was there static or could you hear clearly, and could they hear you clearly?

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Well the guy does say

...this is not so much a review but more a look at my experiences using the 750v.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    ...clip...He changes devices more often than we change underwear. ...clip..
    Surur
    Just call me Berd.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How was the call quality when you did get a signal? Was there static or could you hear clearly, and could they hear you clearly?

The one I've got - I can hear people but they struggle to hear me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast