1.    #1  
    Having been through so many of the threads it would seem that Palm isn't planning to update the Palm desktop software for the new 750. As I read both on this forum and others, the 750 is going to be a WM5 only device.

I get tired of worrying whether or not the Palm OS is going to live another year or not particularly since I use the Palm desktop software for absolutely everything (appointments, detailed contact info, memo's). I have a ton of information stored in Palm which is of course all synced with my T-650.

It would seem that if I am going to make the switch over to a handheld OS that will be around for awhile I should do it now.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can make the smoothest possible transition from my Palm desktop to Windows Mobile 5?

I should mention that I am an Apple/Mac user. Do they even make a version of Windows Mobile for Mac? If not does that mean I should be looking at Symbian?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

- Joshua
    I'm a Mac user also. I moved all my info (contacts, calendar) to Address Book and iCal a long time. If you do that, then there is Missing Sync for Palm OS and Missing Sync for Windows Mobile to go for those platforms. Depending on the Symbian device it make sync OK already with iSync. For the Nokia E61 there are both free and for pay extensions to iSync to let it work also.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I am a Mac user and use The Missing Sync to sync my 700p (Palm OS) and also my 700wx (Windows Mobile). There are versions of The Missing Sync for both Palm OS and Windows Mobile.

At work I have to use Windows so I found the best way to transition when I got the 700wx since I used Palm Desktop with my 700p was to sync my 700p with Outlook. Then I was sure that Outlook had everything that my 700p had, I then synced my 700wx and all the information from my 700p was on my 700wx.
    Jimmie Geddes
  4.    #4  
    So if I understand you both correctly I can go from my current configuration (Palm desktop) to either the local applications iCal and Address book or Outlook using Missing Sync. Is Outlook an application I have to purchase? Where do I get Missing Sync?

THanks for your responses,

- Joshua
    Outlook is from Microsoft and runs on Windows only (it's their email application, part of the Windows office suite). Missing Sync (multiple flavors) is available from Markspace software http://www.markspace.com/ .

One comment on Missing Sync. I think the Palm version is very good. Multiple conduits, sync address info and pictures. The WM5 is much more limited. I was very upset to find that it synched the address info but doesn't synch any address contact pictures. It can sync addresses, calendars, and tasks, but as far as I can see nothing else (no notes for example). Also I don't think there are any demo versions of missing sync. You have to buy it to use it.
  6.    #6  
    bcaslis,

Ok so I won't be able to use Outlook. I guess my only option is to move everything to iCal and the Apple address book? Would it be too much to ask for you to give me a step by step on how to accomplish this using missing Sync, Apple Address book, and iCal? Or maybe you could point me in the right direction of where I can get the info. Again, thanks for all the info.

- Joshua
    In The Missing Sync you will just select to sync with iCal and address book, it also gives you the option to sync with Entourage (Outlook for Mac). Like Bcaslis said the Palm OS verison of the Missing Sync has a lot more features, but Missing Sync for Windows Mobile is your only way to sync a WM device and Mac. It's limited, but it gets the job done. You can find answers to any questions on MarkSpace's site, but they make it very simple to setup and use.
    Jimmie Geddes
    There are a lot of ways this could be done. I would go to Palm Desktop and export all your events in vCal format and your contacts in vref format. Then in iCal and AddressBook import them and make any corrections. Then get the flavor of Missing Sync for the device you want to use (Missing Sync for Windows Mobile for the 750v) and use that to get the data into the device.
    I'm also a Mac user thinking of switching to Windows Mobile. The route I would go is move all your data to Microsoft Entourage which is very easy once your data is in Address Book and iCal. Then get yourself a hosted Exchange account and all your data will sync over the air. This worked quite well for me on a Symbian device so I would imagine on a Windows device it should work ever better. This still leaves you high and dry when it comes to installing applications but then if you have an Intel Mac you can either Bootcamp or Parallel into XP. I don't have an Intel Mac yet but if I decide to go with the Treo 750 I'll let you know how I get on.
    Missing Sync for Windows Mobile will also sync directly with Entourage. I haven't tried this myself since I don't use Entourage.