Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I'm moving to WM5 from Treo 600. What are the 'Killer apps' to get for this platform?
    There are so many Windows Mobile apps out there, and tons of very good ones. You may want to give a little more info on what types of apps are most useful / sought after for you - do they need to be freeware? What are your essential apps on Palm - in most cases there will be good WM equivalents ...
    One further thought for you - if you are keen to run some of your favorite Palm apps when you switch over to WM, you should look at StyleTap - a Palm 'emulator' that will allow you to run many of them on a WM device.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Actually, I am leaving Palm OS with such a heavy heart. I'm still trying to find excuses to not leave it. But alas, I need 3G (GSM), Wifi and GPS, and Palm just can't offer them.

It's the little things which make me love my Treo 600 (bought three years ago) so much, which makes life so much easier for me, and everything done a little bit quicker.

I love the followings:
    1) Co-Launcher, which enables me to launch any program with press of just two buttons. I set the message button as the trigger, then any letter on the keyboard as the launcher. I have set almost all letters to my mostly used apps (which all I love so dearly); eg q: Quicknews, e: Diet & Exercise Assistant, E: Ereader Pro, r: Resco Viewer, t: TCPMP, T: Traffic Stat, u: UpIRC, i: iSilo, p: Pockettunes, a: Audacity Pro, A: Automobile, s: Splash ID, S: ScreenShot, d: Docs to Go, h: Hotsync, l: Lightwav, c: checklist, C: Cardtxt, v: Verichat, b: Bonsai, n: NoahPro, m: MSDict, calendar: Preference., message (ie press message twice): SMS. Not to mention, the built-in option+button launcher, with mine set as option+phone: internet, option+calendar: To do, option+message: chatter

2) the little blue-select-circle which lets you navigate from button to button

3) one-handedness of almost everything (in conjunction with co-Launcher), eg: a) with Audacity Pro, I could start recording, resume recording, then playing without touching the screen at all, b) with Pocket Tunes, I could play, pause, go to next/previous songs, increase/decrease volumes, all with presses of buttons,

4) FindHack which lets you find text in your current app lightning fast. I used it in Contact to find names easily (thus not just restricted to last name, first name or first letter of first name, then last name); can search using company, or keywords, which i usually put in the custom fields etc. I also use it in Calendar to find entries, again using keywords

5) FieldPlus which lets you a) selects words using shift+Dpad, and b) move by word using option+Dpad (left/right)

6) Copy/Cut/Paste using menu+c, menu+x, menu+p (in conjunction with FieldPlus)

7) ShortCut5 which lets me enter commonly used words using .+shortcut, (same as the squiggly l, but faster, since squiggly can be typed only after 5 presses of buttons), so for example, if i type, .dts, the date and time will automatically be typed for me, saving me so many button presses

8) SMS chat thread

9) long-lasting battery

10) spontaneous, candid pics using the VGA camera

11) the calendar week overview screen, when you press the calendar button twice

12) small memory prints- even though I have 3 years' worth of call logs, contacts, calendars and sms'es, i still haven't run out of the 'small' 23.8Mb memory (ok, it's getting lesser now, @ 2.3Mb left, but still...)

13) hardware mute button

14) DA, like Crystal popup suite, snapCalc5 and Clockpop5

The list above doesn't seem really extensive, but they do help me a lot

Somebody please tell me I'm not making a big mistake for buying a Windows Mobile phone...
    Last edited by emy_77; 10/07/2006 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add list
    Wow, that's a lot to be heavy hearted about. I honestly don't think you're making a mistake though. Windows Mobile is a very capable OS, and has thousands of apps of every type imaginable out there to use. I think the hardest part initially may be getting used to the 'devil you don't know' - i.e finding replacements for favorite apps and alternative ways to accomplish all or most of what you've listed above. Also, you didn't mention which WM phone you're going to go for - you could of course get a WM Treo and maintain some of those old favorites - like threaded SMS on the new 750V model. I think there is a 3rd party app out now for threaded SMS on WM, just can't recall the name right now.

Also, on some of your numbered points:
    -- there are some very good launcher apps for WM that should leave you where you require very few d-pad presses to launch favorite apps, close running apps etc - my favorite is iLauncher - very powerful. A very good free one is Magic Button.

-- One-handedness can be very good depending on which device you choose - I use a Cingular 8125 and it is close to the Treo 650 - not quite there but very good overall for one-handed use - and there are newer models than it that are superior in that area.

-- Battery life on the 8125 is superb, better than the 650 was. On the 650 I had it set to sync email every 30 minutes during working hours, on the 8125 I use real-time push continuosuly throughout working hours and still finish the day typically with more juice left than the 650 had.

-- TapText is a very nice free utility from DinarSoft for accomplishing Number 7 entering of frequently used text

-- In-built calendar / contacts / tasks are not up too much (but I found the same on the 650 and used Agendus) - but there are some excellent 3rd party apps to achieve all you want

-- Hardware Mute = that really is a sweet feature

Anyway, I think once you get past initial culture shock you may find WM is a very good choice. Hope it works out well for you ...
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks patrickj; it's comforting to know that I might not be making a mistake here. Guess when you have had something for three years, it's kinda hard to let it go. Not to mention the wealth of data I have in my Treo; to think that I'll have to discard it just like that once I bought the new Windows Mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
    Also, you didn't mention which WM phone you're going to go for
    I'm thinking of getting Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (see http://www.firstloox.org, out next week ). That's why I didn't wanna mention earlier, since this is a Treo forum, but since Treo also has 240x240 screen, I thought, it'd be a good place to get info from. And since I've been coming here the past three years, and knowing how helpful the people can be here, I thought, why not ask for help. Actually, as a seasoned member, I should have done a search first. Found a thread by HobbesIsReal

- you could of course get a WM Treo and maintain some of those old favorites - like threaded SMS on the new 750V model.
    I really hope they could get the app out of 750v to be used with other models

-- there are some very good launcher apps for WM that should leave you where you require very few d-pad presses to launch favorite apps, close running apps etc - my favorite is iLauncher - very powerful. A very good free one is Magic Button.
    Will try it once I bought the phone

-- One-handedness can be very good depending on which device you choose - I use a Cingular 8125 and it is close to the Treo 650 - not quite there but very good overall for one-handed use - and there are newer models than it that are superior in that area.
    good to hear that. In fact, with Pocket Loox T830, I think one-handedness will be even better since the keyboard is external, just like treo

-- Battery life on the 8125 is superb, better than the 650 was.
    Good to hear this

-- TapText is a very nice free utility from DinarSoft for accomplishing Number 7 entering of frequently used text
    Definitely will try this

-- In-built calendar / contacts / tasks are not up too much (but I found the same on the 650 and used Agendus) - but there are some excellent 3rd party apps to achieve all you want
    not so cool. I love the built-in calendar, contacts in Treo 600 so much. Simple

-- Hardware Mute = that really is a sweet feature
    why can't all phone manufacturers do this?

Anyway, I think once you get past initial culture shock you may find WM is a very good choice. Hope it works out well for you ...
    Thanks

Actually, I'm doing this because I think the future is Microsoft. What with Crossbow and Photon coming up, I think there's a lot, in store for Microsoft users. That's why, even though Sony Ericsson has cool phones like P990i, and Nokia has N95, I still go for the brick-looking Pocket Loox T830, since it's the insides that I care more for than the outsides.
    The Loox T830 looks (no pun intended) nice. And I always enjoy reviews by Shaun at PDA24/7 - in fact did a post recently mentioning his first impressions on the Loox N560.

Agree that 'insides' (the OS) counts for a lot, although I guess all of us are shooting for finding devices that are the most effective at making the hardware work as close to perfectly as possible with the OS. That's been one of Palm's strengths for a long time I think ...
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The Loox T830 looks (no pun intended) nice. And I always enjoy reviews by Shaun at PDA24/7 - in fact did a post recently mentioning his first impressions on the Loox N560.

Agree that 'insides' (the OS) counts for a lot, although I guess all of us are shooting for finding devices that are the most effective at making the hardware work as close to perfectly as possible with the OS. That's been one of Palm's strengths for a long time I think ...
    I love Palm ever so dearly, but only if the OS is Palm OS. Once Palm has Windows Mobile 5 in it, it is just like any other manufacturer which sells Windows Mobile 5 phones. And when you have many options, you have to look for the best, and to me, the best Windows Mobile 5 phone right now is Pocket Loox T830
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Since I don't have a Windows Mobile 5 phone, can somebody with one confirm me with this- currently, on my Treo 600, I have chatter with push e-mail using the free fastmail.fm and pulling emails from gmail. Can the push e-mail capability of Windows Mobile 5 phone do the same thing, ie using fastmail.fm and gmail?

Thank you for your response
    Last edited by emy_77; 10/09/2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add info
    I must concur with the others on WM 5.0. I was an avid and faithful PalmOS user, but I also thought Windows would be the future and with the Direct Push coming and the need for Wi-fi, it became necessary for me to move.

I would tell you that you have to be very, very patient with it all; but not because of the OS, but just because of the overall change. I've used many Palms over the years and it takes some time to get used to the change, but once you do, it works well. It took me quite awhile to get used to it...so much so that I returned my MDA 3 times before deciding again to give it a try on the 4th time. Thanks to users here on TreoCentral, where I got apps like Smartskey, which completely changed the user experience and now using things like the SPB suite of applications, I'm loving WM.

Goodluck, and be patient.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    I must concur with the others on WM 5.0. I was an avid and faithful PalmOS user, but I also thought Windows would be the future and with the Direct Push coming and the need for Wi-fi, it became necessary for me to move.

I would tell you that you have to be very, very patient with it all; but not because of the OS, but just because of the overall change. I've used many Palms over the years and it takes some time to get used to the change, but once you do, it works well. It took me quite awhile to get used to it...so much so that I returned my MDA 3 times before deciding again to give it a try on the 4th time. Thanks to users here on TreoCentral, where I got apps like Smartskey, which completely changed the user experience and now using things like the SPB suite of applications, I'm loving WM.

Goodluck, and be patient.
    Thanks waynew73. I finally took the plunge and confirmed my order with clove. It should arrive in a few days' time
    Cool - look forward to hearing what you think of the device, the OS change culture shoch and all the rest ...

Quote Originally Posted by emy_77 View Post
    Thanks waynew73. I finally took the plunge and confirmed my order with clove. It should arrive in a few days' time
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77 View Post
    I love Palm ever so dearly, but only if the OS is Palm OS. Once Palm has Windows Mobile 5 in it, it is just like any other manufacturer which sells Windows Mobile 5 phones. And when you have many options, you have to look for the best, and to me, the best Windows Mobile 5 phone right now is Pocket Loox T830
    ignorance must be bliss...I openmindedly tried a 700wx and fell in love. The Palm OS is crap, and I didnt admit it until Palm did.

there is a huge difference between the WM5 devices out there and the Treo 700wx. Palm understands the users need for an easily navigatable (is that a word?) device...and they pulled it off, with a current OS.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Cool - look forward to hearing what you think of the device, the OS change culture shoch and all the rest ...
    It ships on 16th October; so I should get it a few days after that.

I intend to get the most out of this purchase, even if I have the initial OS change culture shock

All I have to do now, while waiting for it to arrive, is to learn everything about Windows Mobile 5. Hmm, where shall I start?

Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor
    The Palm OS is crap, and I didnt admit it until Palm did.
    Did Palm ever admit they're crap? That is so sad
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Clove finally got their first shipment of 100 units and will ship to those who pre-ordered beginning 16th October (there are a few still available, so head over to their website to order).

Can't wait to get mine!!
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    Can't wait = I bet. Hope it ships quick ...
    There are so many Windows Mobile apps out there, and tons of very good ones. You may want to give a little more info on what types of apps are most useful / sought after for you - do they need to be freeware? What are your essential apps on Palm - in most cases there will be good WM equivalents ...
    May be true but it is not an answer to the man's question. Why bother?
    I bothered because I thought if the original question was just expanded upon a bit, or framed a little, there would be some good answers. When there are thousands of apps out there to cover just about every work or non-work sort of activity possible, it helps to narrow it down to free or paid for, in which areas etc.

Besides, if you read the rest of the thread I think you'll see there were some answers that wer of at least some use to the oirginal poster ...

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    May be true but it is not an answer to the man's question. Why bother?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    After doing some researches, I think I've kinda found many equivalent apps in WM5 for what I currently use in my Treo 600. In fact, there are some which also have WM5 versions, like TCPMP, SplashID, MS Dict and Resco Viewer. I think I will be okay switching to WM5. However, after the searches, my concern about the 240x240 screen grows, as many apps only support 320x240. I hope they auto-adjust well in my Pocket Loox T830
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    If anybody's interested, this is how you can get it the cheapest (it's how I did it anyway): I registered at http://www.firstloox.org/index.php?categoryid=1, went to http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6921 for the firstloox 15 discount, then, used it at http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.a...C-DA2BE7D96C3B

It will be shipped on 16th October, via DHL. The total (including shipping) is USD 710

I had three really good years in Treocentral with Treo 600 community, where everybody was so helpful, and everybody strived to get value from their purchase by squeezing every last cent out of their Treo 600, by making it do every single thing under the sun. I hope there'll be a community like that too with Pocket Loox T830
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast