Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21  
    Seems like TreoCentral will still be a useful resource, as these forums seem to cover much more than just Treo issues - I'm sure you know that though. A few good forum sites for more Windows Mobile specific stuff:
    pocketpcthoughts.com
    aximsite.com
    howardforums

    Don't be mislead by the Aximsite name - they have a huge membership and a very active set of forums that cover more than just the Axim line by now.

    Roll on 16th ...
  2. Wiz
    Wiz is offline
    Wiz's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77
    Once Palm has Windows Mobile 5 in it, it is just like any other manufacturer which sells Windows Mobile 5 phones
    Actually you will find that you are wrong there. As a fervent WM5 user I can tell you that not until Palm brought a lot of the Palm user friendliness to WM5 did the WM5 operating system become a lot better to use. I can guarantee you, there's a world of difference between a WM5 Treo and a plain vanilla WM5 PocketPC Phone. Palm's ehancements make a world of difference.
    ---------------------------
    The one and only Treo 750v
    ---------------------------
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Actually you will find that you are wrong there. As a fervent WM5 user I can tell you that not until Palm brought a lot of the Palm user friendliness to WM5 did the WM5 operating system become a lot better to use. I can guarantee you, there's a world of difference between a WM5 Treo and a plain vanilla WM5 PocketPC Phone. Palm's ehancements make a world of difference.
    Changing from a 6700 to a 700wx, I wholeheartedly agree! The 700wx is a lot more easier to navigate than the 6700 ever was.
  4. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Actually you will find that you are wrong there. As a fervent WM5 user I can tell you that not until Palm brought a lot of the Palm user friendliness to WM5 did the WM5 operating system become a lot better to use. I can guarantee you, there's a world of difference between a WM5 Treo and a plain vanilla WM5 PocketPC Phone. Palm's ehancements make a world of difference.
    But you could be wrong there too. What user-friendliness did Palm bring to WM5? The Today screen, with the ability to dial by name? I don't think that is such a big deal, especially with a phone like Pocket Loox T830, which has qwerty keyboard; dialing anybody would be just a few keystrokes away on the keyboard.

    On the other hand, does Treo 700w/wx/v has wi-fi, GPS, USB-host, 2mp camera with auto-focus, bluetooth 2.0, SDIO slot, 1500mAH battery?
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77 View Post
    But you could be wrong there too. What user-friendliness did Palm bring to WM5?

    - Reject call with a text message
    - Picture Speed dial
    - (Native) Threaded Text messaging (which no 3rd party has done a good job at copying)
    - BlackBerry Connect
    - Assign speed dial to alpha keys
    - Contact lookup plugin
    - Voicemail controls on screen
    - Option + OK brings you to the task manager to close apps
    - Green Key brings up Call history
    - Softkey programs: Menu to Contacts, Dial Pad, Call log, Preferences
    - Program lookup via Start + Letter
    - Internet Explorer key tricks e.g. Option + Green Key jumps to address bar, etc.
    - Option + Shift to Search
    - Keyguard that doesn't require you to touch the screen
    - Camera control: right, left controls brightness; up, down controls zoom + Soft Key support for editing, saving, etc.
    - OS is much, much faster than anyone elses, even with a slower processor. It's faster than my overclocked ppc-6700
    - More memory than your average PPC phone (Program and Storage)
    - 30 sec boot time
    - hardware ringer switch for sound vs. vibrate/silent
    - Better ringer selection e.g. Known and Unknown Caller ringtones
    - Free MS VoiceCommand/built in to ROM

    Did I miss anything?

    It's more than obvious you've never touched one.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    - Reject call with a text message
    - Picture Speed dial
    - (Native) Threaded Text messaging (which no 3rd party has done a good job at copying)
    - BlackBerry Connect
    - Assign speed dial to alpha keys
    - Contact lookup plugin
    - Voicemail controls on screen
    - Option + OK brings you to the task manager to close apps
    - Green Key brings up Call history
    - Softkey programs: Menu to Contacts, Dial Pad, Call log, Preferences
    - Program lookup via Start + Letter
    - Internet Explorer key tricks e.g. Option + Green Key jumps to address bar, etc.
    - Option + Shift to Search
    - Keyguard that doesn't require you to touch the screen
    - Camera control: right, left controls brightness; up, down controls zoom + Soft Key support for editing, saving, etc.
    - OS is much, much faster than anyone elses, even with a slower processor. It's faster than my overclocked ppc-6700
    - More memory than your average PPC phone (Program and Storage)
    - 30 sec boot time
    - hardware ringer switch for sound vs. vibrate/silent
    - Better ringer selection e.g. Known and Unknown Caller ringtones
    - Free MS VoiceCommand/built in to ROM

    Did I miss anything?

    It's more than obvious you've never touched one.
    Thank you! I have never held one and your list is very helpful. It does not make me want to leave Palm OS but I am not as frightened of having to move to WM as I was.
  7. emy_77's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
       #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    - Reject call with a text message
    - Picture Speed dial
    - (Native) Threaded Text messaging (which no 3rd party has done a good job at copying)
    - BlackBerry Connect
    - Assign speed dial to alpha keys
    - Contact lookup plugin
    - Voicemail controls on screen
    - Option + OK brings you to the task manager to close apps
    - Green Key brings up Call history
    - Softkey programs: Menu to Contacts, Dial Pad, Call log, Preferences
    - Program lookup via Start + Letter
    - Internet Explorer key tricks e.g. Option + Green Key jumps to address bar, etc.
    - Option + Shift to Search
    - Keyguard that doesn't require you to touch the screen
    - Camera control: right, left controls brightness; up, down controls zoom + Soft Key support for editing, saving, etc.
    - OS is much, much faster than anyone elses, even with a slower processor. It's faster than my overclocked ppc-6700
    - More memory than your average PPC phone (Program and Storage)
    - 30 sec boot time
    - hardware ringer switch for sound vs. vibrate/silent
    - Better ringer selection e.g. Known and Unknown Caller ringtones
    - Free MS VoiceCommand/built in to ROM

    Did I miss anything?

    It's more than obvious you've never touched one.

    Cool! It's very much like my Treo 600; built with user-friendliness, and one-handed-functionality-optimization in mind. I'm glad you like it. I thoroughly enjoyed using my Treo 600 too. But, I've moved on, and I needed more than that. And I found it in Pocket Loox T830
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
  8. #28  
    Great thread. Very useful.

    I'm sure lots of things have changed since this last post, especially now that WM 6 is about to be released. Is there a decent (all encompassing?) book magazine and/or Website (besides this one) on WM that is geared toward the newbie and pro alike? I'm a Palm OS user and am thinking of making the switch to WM by the end of this year.
  9. iradeut's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #29  
    Has anyone figured out how to make the option key work like it does on the Palm OS devices? On the 750, you have to hold it down and press the other key simultaneously, on Palm you can press it once and then push another key, which makes it much more of a one handed operation.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by iradeut View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to make the option key work like it does on the Palm OS devices? On the 750, you have to hold it down and press the other key simultaneously, on Palm you can press it once and then push another key, which makes it much more of a one handed operation.
    I believe #10/#11 of the hacks on the following link will give you what you're looking for...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...14&postcount=1
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Great thread. Very useful.

    I'm sure lots of things have changed since this last post, especially now that WM 6 is about to be released. Is there a decent (all encompassing?) book magazine and/or Website (besides this one) on WM that is geared toward the newbie and pro alike? I'm a Palm OS user and am thinking of making the switch to WM by the end of this year.
    www.wmexperts.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions