1.    #1  
    If was in Bluewater shopping mall this evening (one of the largest shopping malls in Europe) and I came across this promotion for the 750v.

Not exactly sexy, is it. Win a white van if you buy the new sleeker, Treo. They are not even bulleting the features (e.g. push e-mail). I wonder how many they will sell this way. And it doesn't really go with the more upmarket clientèle who are more likely to frequent that mall. I hope this is not the $30 million marketing push Palm is relying upon to take 10% of the European smartphone market..

Surur
    I hope they didn't spend all that marketing budget on that van
    May not be sexy, but certainly effective toward the ad's target audience - small businesses.
    It fails badly. There's nothing in the ad to convince me to buy a 750v over other phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It fails badly. There's nothing in the ad to convince me to buy a 750v over other phones.
    That's because you are not the target market. What works for others may not work for you. Even if you were the target market, it may still not work for you.
    I own a small business FYI, nice try. Although it is VERY small, LOL! But as Surur says, no mention of 750's features is just about a worthless ad to me. It doesn't tell me what the benefit of owning it is. The only thing it MAY do is make me PERHAPS take a look at it IF I get near a Vodafone store. If that's what they wanted, then it worked. But "may", "perhaps", and "if" aren't really what you want in sales.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So what if you own a business? Just because you own a small business, it doesn't mean that you are the small business market. Plus you are in the U.S., and this ad targets the European market.

You are just one potential buyer in a market of millions...don't project your own personal opinion as the opinion of the entire SMB market.

None of those Budweiser beer ads appeals to me, does this mean that AB fail as a beer company?
    What value is the phone to me as a business person? Nothing to tell me that in the ad, end of story. Unless it's supposed to be the picture, but that's uninspiring too.

phonediva - I'm sure that not many people are as knowledgeable as we are in regard to smartphones. Given the fact that many people could be confused about what device to get, they may opt for the 750 merely because they have a chance to win a van.
    Exactly!! This type of ad is more like an ad for a general market. It fails as a small business target ad.

An ad for small business needs to hint how efficient the phone is for business. I come back to this ad and I still am missing what the small business angle is every time.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/07/2006 at 11:45 PM.

11.    #11  
    I guess if it does one thing, its define the market the device is aimed at. It says clearly "small business", so if they do go into the shop, they know there is a phone they are supposed to like. They may then be curious enough to ask about it, which triggers the sales pitch. I expect a "white van man" would benefit more from a HP 6915 with built-in GPS than a Treo 750v with 3G data.

Surur
    Regardless the advertisement,

I would expect to own 680 more than owning 750v
    However I dont mind to give 750v a try.
    Another shot for WM5, this time with one hand operation +threaded sms

My consideration is 3G (750v WM5) vs ease of operation (680 POS)

I would prefer 680 even if it is advertised with a free milk supply for a year (a more silly way to advertise :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Exactly!! This type of ad is more like an ad for a general market. It fails as a small business target ad.

An ad for small business needs to hint how efficient the phone is for business. I come back to this ad and I still am missing what the small business angle is every time.
    I forgot to mention, but I'm sure many small business owners would like to have a large capacity vehicle, depending on their business. But overall, I agree, there should be something, maybe a quick fact sheet in the corner or flyers that go with it that demonstrate the capabilities of the 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    Regardless the advertisement,

I would expect to own 680 more than owning 750v
    However I dont mind to give 750v a try.
    Another shot for WM5, this time with one hand operation +threaded sms

My consideration is 3G (750v WM5) vs ease of operation (680 POS)

I would prefer 680 even if it is advertised with a free milk supply for a year (a more silly way to advertise :-)
    I think if you try the 750v, you'll fall in love with WM5, especially once you learn how to customize it
    After a couple of days on the Cingular 8125, I absolutely love WM5 over the PalmOS. The PalmOS is great, but just so limited and dated. All of the stuff I can finally do now that I have WM5.
    However the 8125 is annoying. You can't do nearly enough with the 5-way dpad and the slider keyboard got old after about 15 min.
    With Palm's one-handed customizations and form factor, I'm really looking forward to the 750 when it comes to Cingular.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G