Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well either there's a hardware problem with my Treo or with the card. I think it's the card since the Treo is working just fine with memory cards. Now when I insert the card, I get the hardware beep from the Treo, but the card is never recognized by the wireless manager. Even with a soft reset with the card in the slot. I guess I've have to contact the company about an exchange.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2. tcs
    I agreed that you should try to do that
    am not clear on why the Spectec MicroSD WiFI card does not fit properly into the MicroSD slot in the 750v. Would there not be a size standard for this?

http://www.spectec.com.tw/products_d...ptype=w1sdw823
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    the 750v uses miniSD, not microSD. So it would not fit at all without a mini -> microSD adapter. I have never seen one for sale.
    I can't say these will work for a WiFi card, but I do have one and it works just fine with my 2GB Sandisk MicroSD memory card in my 750v. I would think it would also work with an I/O card, just can't say for sure.

Mark

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOPRAM-microSD-T...em320041670993
    The wifi card is longer, than a "standard" mini-sd card, so it sticks out the slot. Very simple. On previous models the slot was at the top, so for some people this might be acceptable. But on the 750 the slot is on the side and it has a cover making it pretty inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    am not clear on why the Spectec MicroSD WiFI card does not fit properly into the MicroSD slot in the 750v. Would there not be a size standard for this?

http://www.spectec.com.tw/products_d...ptype=w1sdw823
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Any new developments on the functionality of this card with the 750v?
    Quote Originally Posted by popcorn-in-sac View Post
    I can't say these will work for a WiFi card, but I do have one and it works just fine with my 2GB Sandisk MicroSD memory card in my 750v. I would think it would also work with an I/O card, just can't say for sure.

Mark

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOPRAM-microSD-T...em320041670993
    I'm tempted to eventually try this with the MicroSD version of Spectec's card since it supports 802.11g. It uses the same driver as the MiniSD card, so I don't know if it'll perform any better. But I'm tempted to spend the cash to find out. I need a Treo first (Darn you cingular, release this already!) I already have the MiniSD card in anticipation of getting a Treo. It didn't work in the 8125 by the way, it just wanted to fight with the 8125's WiFi driver (as I expected it would.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have my doubts about the Spectec MiniSD WiFi card. There's something wrong with the driver for the card, I have been trying to do a speedtest on dslreports.com and my Treo hangs for a few seconds, sometimes 2 or three times during the 1MB download; this I noticed because the windows logo on the bottom right corner in IE would stop moving and the screen becomes unresponsive and a few seconds later it starts moving and downloading again. This is not letting me get an accurate reading of my speed.

This is the same thing that happens to me while trying to use Skype with the WiFi card, my Treo just freezes for a few seconds making it impossible to establish a clean connection.

I know the phone is capable of running Skype because I was able to use it last week in an area with 3G coverage. So the problem lies with the card or the drivers.

Is anyone else experiencing these mini-hangs?
    Would you concider buying it again, I won't use Skype but just want to surf a little, and download my e-mail from hotmail. Data is too expensive up here in Canada, so that's why i want to invest in this card?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    Would you concider buying it again, I won't use Skype but just want to surf a little, and download my e-mail from hotmail. Data is too expensive up here in Canada, so that's why i want to invest in this card?

Thanks
    To tell you the truth the only reason I bought this card was to be able to use Skype when in a Hotspot or other WiFi enabled area, but it has proven not to work for that right now. I rarely use it to surf the web because it consumes a lot of battery and I also have an unlimited data plan.

I guess that it would be useful if you have a very costly data plan, but you would also need to have a power cable available to avoid consuming too much battery and then not having enough power to finish the day.
    Which driver are you using? Is it the one downloaded from the spectec site (1.25.3) for CE 2003, or WM5? OR the one that came in the box on the CD? I noiced an odd thing that when I installed the WM5 driver it said "2003" in the network card properties. But when installed the 2003 it didn't say that. I wonder if they got them backward?

I wonder if the Micro SD with 2.06 driver would work better (with the mini to micro SD adapter card?) I guess I won't know until I get one and get a Treo.
    Thank you I think I may get it, or I wonder if the micro sd card will work just because it's smaller? I wonder if the door will close with it being smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Which driver are you using? Is it the one downloaded from the spectec site (1.25.3) for CE 2003, or WM5? OR the one that came in the box on the CD? I noiced an odd thing that when I installed the WM5 driver it said "2003" in the network card properties. But when installed the 2003 it didn't say that. I wonder if they got them backward?

I wonder if the Micro SD with 2.06 driver would work better (with the mini to micro SD adapter card?) I guess I won't know until I get one and get a Treo.
    You know, I didn't even notice this, sure enough I have installed the 2003 version of the driver. This one I downloaded from their website. Let me download the 2003 one to see if it works better and if they have it backwards on their website.

I'll keep everyone posted.
    I tried driver v2.06 and it doesn't work at all with the MiniSD card. I then downloaded driver v1.25.3 for PPC Windows 2003 and installed it. It works well with this driver, I did notice that it doesn't say "for PPC 2003" in the network card properties.

I did a couple of speedtests with both drivers and got different results.

With the alleged WM5 driver (from Spectec website, file wlan11b-14CNU.CAB) I got a speed reading of 557kbps in my office, and with the alleged 2003 version of the driver (file wlan11b-14C.CAB) I got 758kbps in the same network.

I then tried it with Skype, I still got the mini-hangs (freezes) that I got before, but they where shorter and conversation was better than with the other driver, but still unsustainable.

The big question is if they have their drivers mixed up?

UPDATE: I was looking in the Programs folder and found a copy of the WLAN Utilities program that was used in PPC2003 and was dropped in WM5, so I assume that the website doesn't have the drivers mixed up. I will retest the speed with the WM5 drivers to see if there is any difference.

UPDATE: I redid the speedtest and the speeds are about equal, but for some reason the card makes my Treo freeze and that is why I was getting slower results. I was also checking the date of the driver and they date back to November 2005. Maybe is a driver problem after all.
    Last edited by HectorV; 11/07/2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Thanks for all of your investigation, Hector. My experience with this was attempting to use it in a Cingular 8125 just for the hell of it since I didn't have a Treo yet. It didn't work. But this is where I noticed the odd naming of the network card with the drivers.

The age of the driver, as you also noticed is one reason I wonder if the MicroSD card with the new 2.06 drivers would work better. Perhaps they've basically stopped working on the MiniSD and have done a better job with the MicroSD drivers. Or they could be just as bad.

So when I get a Treo. I'm tempted to get the MicroSD and adapter and see if it works better with the Treo than the MiniSD. It's an expensive experiment, but I'm sort of willing to do it. But it be a while since I'm waiting for cingular to sell the 750.

So it sounds like web surfing and just using the Wifi adapter isn't really a problem, it works pretty well? It's really just a problem with Skype because of the stalls?

It's as if the driver isn't playing nice with multi tasking resources. I would most certainly suspect the driver.

I think this warrants attempting to contact Spectec and get them to update the driver. This could be difficult if not impossible, but you should try.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    MSmobiles has some pictures here....but as usual, msmobiles is being negative in everything they do...

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5792.html

Although they claim its a review it ain't a review at all
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So I read the review they have on the front page and went to check out spectecs site and noticed in the support section where you select the product name they have an option for SDW-825 mini SD Wlan-11g. So it looks like they will be coming out with a mini SD 11g one soon ( one would hope anyways ). I would still be interested in knowing if the micro would fit into a mini converter and would then allow you to shut the door because if so it sounds like thats the way to go but if not maybe just wait for the mini 11g.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsaa View Post
    So I read the review they have on the front page and went to check out spectecs site and noticed in the support section where you select the product name they have an option for SDW-825 mini SD Wlan-11g. So it looks like they will be coming out with a mini SD 11g one soon ( one would hope anyways ). I would still be interested in knowing if the micro would fit into a mini converter and would then allow you to shut the door because if so it sounds like thats the way to go but if not maybe just wait for the mini 11g.
    But the thing is I never saw an adapter to put Micro SD into Mini SD slot. The commonly available adapter is to put the Micro SD onto SD card size.

A.W
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Ya l looked into this a bit further and found one on ebay here is the link.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast