Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jbcross,

Do you know which one of the drivers you installed? I installed the first one which seemed to be the right one, it said SDIO wlan-BII. However I still can't get the card to do anything. Nothing shows up and if I click on the wlan utility it installs, it says "can't open channel". Either I've got the wrong driver or the card is toast. I've started to lean towards a hardware problem in the card.

Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    Yes the card is too big to enable you to close the cover. The flap is the most annoiying aspect of it - being right handed it seems to get in the way a bit. I dont have this unlocked yet so I have not been able to use it fully --- but it seems to lack some of the snappyness that the wx has overall, unless that is a result of no sim...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I looked at their website and couldn't see anything downloadable. A normal CD drive can play the mini CD. The problem is I have a MacBook Pro. The slot load drive is not compatible with non-standard size disks or shapes. I used my son's desktop to copy the contents to the MacBook Pro, booted into Windows and ran the installers from disk. Everything seemed to work fine but the card is still not being recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Are the drivers downloadable from Spectec's website?

Also, what do you need to play a mini CD if it won't work?
    So the CD would work on a PC laptop?

Maybe JB can inform us about how he got the card to be recognized.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It should if the drive has a tray and isn't a slot load (like a car stereo). If it's a slot load, no.

So the CD would work on a PC laptop?

Maybe JB can inform us about how he got the card to be recognized.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I looked at their website and couldn't see anything downloadable. A normal CD drive can play the mini CD. The problem is I have a MacBook Pro. The slot load drive is not compatible with non-standard size disks or shapes. I used my son's desktop to copy the contents to the MacBook Pro, booted into Windows and ran the installers from disk. Everything seemed to work fine but the card is still not being recognized.
    LINK--> http://www.spectec.com.tw/driver.asp

FILE --> SDW-820/822 Windows Mobile 5.0 1.25.3 SPECTEC SDIO 802.11b WLAN card Driver 2005/11/21

I just copies the above file into my prg dir and executed it on the 700v

Hope this is of some help.
    Thanks for your help! After installing the driver it still wasn't working, but I did a soft reset (even though nothing tells you to) and it just started working.

My only disappointment is that it doesn't seem to support the stronger WPA2 encryption. Only the WPA-TSIK (or the older WEP). I had to downgrade the protections on my network so it could connect. But at least it does the job.
    Is this the only miniSD wifi card?

And when can we expect your full review of the 750?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Soon, hopefully later tonight.

Is this the only miniSD wifi card?

And when can we expect your full review of the 750?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I got up the courage to give the SD card door a tug and yes it is removable. While I dont think that I will do so only a daily basis, it is good to know that the plastic hinges are designed to remove the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The wifi was giving me all kinds of grief today. Finally the Treo kept showing wifi as on (but not connected) even though the card was out! Multiple soft resets did no good. Finally I gave up and did a hard reset. I'm busy putting things on one by one. Once I get everything else restored, I'm going to make multiple backups and then try installing the drivers again.
    Thanks for all of the posts JBcross. This is all crucial information to me deciding to get the Treo 750. I really want to get the 750 when Cingular finally releases it (or Palm sells it unlocked) but I must be able to use a card like this.
    If you could post 1 more picture of it inserted without the rubber door (if it's still off) I'd appreciate it. No rush.
    Thanks again.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    jbcross, I wanted to know if your card works like mine. I did a hard reset and slowly put things back. I installed the driver you pointed out on their website.

What I see is that the card is only recognized if I soft reset with the card in the slot. If I soft reset without the card in, I get the card insertion sound but wireless manager never detects the card.

I was originally thinking it might be bad hardware, now it just seems like poor software. Does your behave the same? If you soft reset without the card in, is the card recognized and you can connect to a network?

Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    LINK--> http://www.spectec.com.tw/driver.asp

FILE --> SDW-820/822 Windows Mobile 5.0 1.25.3 SPECTEC SDIO 802.11b WLAN card Driver 2005/11/21

I just copies the above file into my prg dir and executed it on the 700v

Hope this is of some help.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    One setting I forgot about ...Settings-->System-->Power-->Adv--> Uncheck each.

At least for me by not having it "turn off device if not used for X" seemed to eliminate problems.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Thanks for all of the posts JBcross. This is all crucial information to me deciding to get the Treo 750. I really want to get the 750 when Cingular finally releases it (or Palm sells it unlocked) but I must be able to use a card like this.
    If you could post 1 more picture of it inserted without the rubber door (if it's still off) I'd appreciate it. No rush.
    Thanks again.
    Per your request.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JBcross, Thank you! Wow, those pics are tiny.

So (to jbcross and bcaslis) are you guys telling me that:
    A) If the unit goes powers off (standby mode) the you have to reboot the Treo before the wifi will work again?
    B) You have to reboot to make it work after inserting it?
    If so, both of these things really suck and make it inconvenient. It means you have to reboot every time you want to use it (boo.)

My 8125 with a built in WiFi will disconnect WiFi when the unit goes turns off. When you wake it up again it'll automatically turn and try to re-establish a wifi connection. Meanwhile when it's in this off (standby) state it falls back to a GPRS/EDGE connection, then when I wake it up, Wifi reconnects and takes over.

For that reason I have it set to not power itself off when plugged in to the charger. It just turns off the screen backlight but stays 'on.'

Does this spectec WiFi card behave a similar way?

I ordered one of these in anticipation of using it with a Treo 750 whenever that its. I can TRY it in my 8125 and see how it works in that. I don't know what'll happen since it has it's own built in WiFi. I'm definitely doing a back-up before installing those spectec drivers
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I'm still testing trying to determine the exact behavior. But so far it seems that if the Treo is soft reset and the card in not in the slot, it will not recognize the card when it is inserted later. I think if the card was initially in you can take the card out and insert it later as long as you don't reset. But I'm not certain yet. I've also seen a couple of times where the card was in the slot and wifi suddenly stopped working. I'd almost suspect the card slot was bad, but the memory card is working flawlessly so I don't think it's a Treo hardware problem.
    Ok I get it. It might just be something with the driver when the unit starts up. It'd be interesting if jbcross sees the same thing.
    Thanks.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    It might just be a buggy driver. I would report the problem to spectec and hopefully they will come out with a fix.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I think any stability issues I was having were a result of Pocket Plus... Since removing wifi has been rock solid for me.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=126618
    I don't have Pocket Plus so that's not my issue.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast