Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading hundreds of post in both the 700p and 700w/wx forums, it seems that the 700wx is the way to go which is great if you're using Sprint.

But if you're a Verizon user, you're either faced with the i730, 6700, 700p or 700w with no wx option. I'm an ex-Palm IIIc user and I'm OK with PalmOS, but I hate the buy a product that's sort of on it's last leg if you know what I mean. I plan on keeping the phone for a minimum of 2 years...

If there's anyone out there who actually likes their 700w, please let say so and state what primary do you use it for and which apps do you run at the same time...

I would have never guessed it'll be so hard to make a choice...geez!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I love my 700w. It works exactly like it should. I am NOT a poweruser though. I run a time biller program on it, along with a couple email accounts, msn, Word and Excel. I do wish it had more memory for both programs and storage, but it would just be to play. When Verizon/Palm bring out a new one, I plan on upgrading.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    You know I love my 700w and it works great for me.

Greg
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    so you're planning to keep it for 2years+ ? well, I would say forget it.. the newer programs coming out for windows mobile will require more and more memory over time. and you will sometime get aggravated with ur phone and will want to give up your plan of keeping it for 2 years and spending more money on a newer model.

if you can't switch to sprint then I woukd say wait just 2 more months, verizon is suposedly coming with 2 more pocket pc phones over the next month or so.
    I have since moved on to a blackberry but I was happy with my 700w. I mainly used it for email, phone, and word. I used wisebar (light and advance2) with sbsh pocket breeze on the today screen along with a sbsh weather tab. I have owned all of verizons pda phones (i730, 700w, 700p, i730, 6700 and Q) but always came back to the treo simply because it worked the best even with its lower ram.
    No, it sucks, don't get it. If you want to multitask at all don't get it. I am not a power user either - a few email accounts, sling mobile, adobe, windows media player, PIE...that is pretty much all I use. All I wanted was a phone that would allow me to surf the internet while listening to music during my commute. This phone freezes EVERY DAY while doing this...nothing else running. This is also my second 700w and I've tried all sorts of cleanups/removing programs and nothing works. The freeze always occurs when Activesync kicks on while i'm surfing/listening. Adding this third task (Activesync is very memory intensive) always leads to a freeze. I would wait or try the Q. I love WM and would love this phone if it actually had enough memory...the form factor is great, features/keyboard/screen/capabilities are very good. But there is not enough memory for someone who wants to multitask, plain and simple.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    I've had my Treo 700w from the first day they came out and i love it.

Do i wish it had more memory? Sure! Does it really bother me so much that i need to switch to another carrier/phone? NO.

I dont try to pretend my phone can do all the things a laptop does - i mainly use it for email, phone & calender. With a little Word, Excel & PDF.

So for what i need it for - its the best phone i've ever used.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post

Do i wish it had more memory? Sure! Does it really bother me so much that i need to switch to another carrier/phone? NO.

I dont try to pretend my phone can do all the things a laptop does - i mainly use it for email, phone & calender. With a little Word, Excel & PDF.

I could not have said it better then tama... so I won't.. But that's how I feel!!!

Paul G
    <><
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I like the 700w. I run email (exchange sync to my work's exchange server), Word, Excel, PIE, Pocket Quicken, Windows Media (for mp3, recorded and live TV through ORB), iGuidance for GPS, and Tanya's weather to go. Do I wish it had more memory, sure. But I can talk on a BT headset and have iGuidance running at the same time. I can listen to music, run iGuidance, and receive emails at the same time. That's enough multi-tasking for me.
    Love mine, though I will upgrade once Verizon offers one with more memory.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I am pretty happy with mine. I have found the biggest factor in terms of being able to run programs is TODAY SCREEN PLUGINS. You simply cannot run a bunch of weather-related stuff and other things in your today screen, which eat into main memory, and fully expect to be able to run other stuff, all with only 10MB of memory free.

I run a single today plugin (Scott Seligman's Launcher), whcih takes 21kb. I have a shortcut to Oxios Hibernate within that launcher. All of my 3rd party programs are installed on the SD card. This includes Skype, Acrobat, Total Commander, WM5storage, Java, Virtual Earth, and TCPMP. I can use all of these without issue.

I find it quite possible to run e-mail (POP3), click on a link in an e-mail, which will open PIE, then download a file from a secure website (such as a 5MB PDF), then open the PDF, and not have everything crash. Its just a case of keeping things small and not being too ambitious.

I clean out the cache every time I use PIE, I keep no more than half a dozen e-mails on the machine, and I keep all my files on the SD card, but not the PIE cache (that creates problems). I don't run many "hack" programs, and havent' really done much to the registry other than telling PIE to identify itself as IE6.

So yes, I guess I'm pretty happy with it. Would I like a bigger screen? Yes. Would I like more memory? Yes. But are these essential and is their lack compeltely destroying my mobile life? No way. I'll be keeping this device for quite a while. Most all of my complaints are not things that will be solved by more memory. Things like limited features in mobile word, no ability to edit slides in pocket powerpoint, no ability to tweak graph scales in pocket excel... these are all WM5 limitations and would be true on any PPC.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post

I feel exactly the same. Yes, I would buy a memory upgrade if available, but it beats the heck out of a Moto Q or 700p (i've tried them).
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  13.    #13  
    How does the 700w stack up to the 6700?

Also, are you able to stream video with your 700w's?
    switched from sprint t650 due to not getting any bars and had to roam on verizons network so could not access email. Switched to verizon t700w and had to get a cell signal repeater for $300.00. Works after you figure out that about 5-10 times per day you have to hold down the "ok" button to close all open programs and clear all of your reminders so that you dont run out of memory. before i learned this had to restart the phone several times per day. Aside from coverage issues at my new home, i liked sprint better for lower price plans. Use about 4000 minutes per month as well as constant data. Will definitely want to upgrade when an alternative becomes available.
    I moved from a Treo 600 on Sprint to Verizon and the 700w.

Overall, I'm pleased and don't regret moving to the 700w.

Yes, Sprint was cheaper for data - so my total cost today is a little higher than before, but Verizon has better coverage in my area - and even with the shortcomings of the 700w - it's a nice step up from the Treo 600.

I really use the multimedia capabilities - ranging from MobiTV to watching programs transferred from my Tivo, ripped DVD's, windows media compatible downloaded / ripped music, and yes.......even streamed radio / sat radio programs.

I haven't had to do a hard reset in months - although I had to do 3 in Jan / Feb - and I do a soft reset periodically to just reset things as I still have some programs with annoying memory leaks. I would like more memory - not for storage - but for running programs, a better screen, built-in wifi, and lower data charges. At some point that will come - but I still think this is (for me) the best combination of OS / Form Factor for a Phone / PDA.
    I'm happy with mine but the truth is that I got it so I wouldn't have to carry a phone and PDA. I'm certainly not a power user. Verizon is unquestionably the best carrier in my area and they were the only carrier working after Wilma last year.

My only complaint is that I get an echo or the person I'm speaking with gets an echo. Palm tells me that earpieces are too loud but it has happened when I'm using an in ear and calling a land line. Strange.
  17.    #17  
    I went to the store and played around with the 700w and the PPC 6700. I loaded up a bunch of apps in the 700w until I got a memory error. Actually I was impressed to open as much as I did.

I streamed a radio station, was browsing the web, had Excel, Word and a game open. When I tried to stream video while all that was going on, I got the error message. Coming from a SK2, this is already way above my expectations for a phone/pda device. If I want a laptop, I would just bring mine with me.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I Love my VZW 700W. If VZW ever offers the 700WX or another model Treo with Windows OS and morre memory, I will upgrade.
    I too am a happy 700w user. I would consider myself a power user, as I stress the device to the max. There are just too many positives mentioned earlier in this thread for me to expand upon. Sure there are negatives, but they are more than outweighed by the good stuff. The "sticky" memory workaround at the top of this forum has really made my life easier from a multi-tasking standpoint. Well-tuned, this device stacks up against ANYTHING out there in the WM5 world.

Skip
    i love my 700w. i think it is great. the only time it crashes on me is when i try a new pocket pc game that is not compatible.

other than that it is great and everything works very well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast